What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

I live in an apartment, all my tools are pretty basic as is, and I don't want wood, horn? Maybe, but I am leaning towards G10
I have tried G10 yet. I have been tempted... It's a beautiful material. The tools needed for scale making will fit in a shoe box. I make mine completely with simple hand tools and lots of elbow grease. Lots of great videos on the net for this...

I have tried G10 yet. I have been tempted... It's a beautiful material. The tools needed for scale making will fit in a shoe box. I make mine completely with simple hand tools and lots of elbow grease. Lots of great videos on the net for this...
I have watched some videos before, maybe I did not find any good ones since they kinda turned me off
Any suggestions?

I have watched some videos before, maybe I did not find any good ones since they kinda turned me off
Any suggestions?
Recently I picked up a scroll saw for making scales, I use my belt sander in my bench vice for rough shaping, then I hand sand to get to a final product, then drill holes with my drill press and clamp.
I did all the above with much less, before I justified power tools for other uses!!! 🤪

Recently I picked up a scroll saw for making scales, I use my belt sander in my bench vice for rough shaping, then I hand sand to get to a final product, then drill holes with my drill press and clamp.
I did all the above with much less, before I justified power tools for other uses!!! 🤪
I've gone the other way. I have an electric scroll saw and a belt sander. I roughed out my first couple of scales with them. After that, I went to my hand tools. The end results are pretty much the same. I just like doing them by hand.

Any suggestions?
Here are some links.
All the best,

Bob

I've gone the other way. I have an electric scroll saw and a belt sander. I roughed out my first couple of scales with them. After that, I went to my hand tools. The end results are pretty much the same. I just like doing them by hand.

Agreed, by hand is much better. I have a coping saw I picked up for 7$ and it is my best friend. I do the main bulk sanding on the belt sander but once I have my shape the rest is slow work.

Machines are instant and unforgiving. When you go slow you can change the little details as you go an refine things much better.

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT HAPPENED AGAIN! Second time in a row I bought a razor to restore and it came with a crack in the edge! Almost same spot as the Greaves n Sons too! 😤🤬

Really, there has to be SOMETHING that can be done. It is just too sad to see. I've never been good at giving up!

MVIMG_20200823_154946.jpg

Jeez that's disappointing. Please tell me it wasn't the same source?

No, different sellers. The one who sold me the Greaves barber's use offered a full refund after I was persistent, but I decided to keep it since it is indeed a rare artifact. The seller of the Bengall honestly seemed surprised that it had a crack, so I felt bad and offered to split the loss with him. He gave me a partial refund.

In both cases it was made right, I hold no grudges against them. I'm mostly upset just to see these beauties have to be decommissioned.

A close look at the Bengall shows an obvious crack. I wonder was it as obvious in the seller pictures or was it the classic out of focus shot. A regular seller of straight razors would have seen that crack a mile away. At least you got a partial refund.

I bought a cracked blade only this week but then again I knew it was cracked when I bought it and the seller pointed it out in the description and had good pictures.

A close look at the Bengall shows an obvious crack. I wonder was it as obvious in the seller pictures or was it the classic out of focus shot. A regular seller of straight razors would have seen that crack a mile away. At least you got a partial refund.

I bought a cracked blade only this week but then again I knew it was cracked when I bought it and the seller pointed it out in the description and had good pictures.

Yeah you guessed it, outta focus shot indeed. The guy was selling like a yard sale though, probably didn't even look it over good. Just shot a photo quick and moved on to the next thing. The guy who sold the Greaves said it was in the description, but funny thing was the listing was immediately deleted after I paid for it so I couldn't pull it back up to reference it. Like you said, if someone is honest then depending where the crack is I might still buy if it's somewhere that's possible to grind out. In my opinion neither was the case though.

Next up for me is a Frederick Reynolds I bought off of eBay. I just finished up my first clean up, a Dixie Blue Steel. I learned a good bit from it, that is for sure...

Yeah you guessed it, outta focus shot indeed. The guy was selling like a yard sale though, probably didn't even look it over good. Just shot a photo quick and moved on to the next thing. The guy who sold the Greaves said it was in the description, but funny thing was the listing was immediately deleted after I paid for it so I couldn't pull it back up to reference it. Like you said, if someone is honest then depending where the crack is I might still buy if it's somewhere that's possible to grind out. In my opinion neither was the case though.

One lesson here stay well away from razors that are out of focus, they know something is wrong that's why they post pictures that are out of focus for that very reason.

Next up for me is a Frederick Reynolds I bought off of eBay. I just finished up my first clean up, a Dixie Blue Steel. I learned a good bit from it, that is for sure...

Hey we need to see pictures or it did not happen :001_tt2: :001_tt2: :001_tt2: :001_tt2: But i will add the Dixie blue are fantastic little razors

One thing I will add is the horn is very easy to work with, and looks beautiful when finished and sets most razors off big style.
I have only done 2 razors in wood in the last 3 years my first was a gold dollar, & a large Damascus that I wanted to see the pattern on the blade when it was closed.

I love seeing razors with scales that were made for them, so if I make scales I try to keep the same like for like...

One thing I will add is the horn is very easy to work with, and looks beautiful when finished and sets most razors off big style.

Yeah, horn is nice. Any tips for working with it?
I find it clogs up sandpaper very quickly.
I've a set of scales I haven't tackled yet where I'm wondering how far to go in sanding them down. It's like it wants to de-laminate but I don't think it's going to. Might as well ask before I go near it.
IMG_20200826_192947 Delam.jpg

Yeah, horn is nice. Any tips for working with it?
I find it clogs up sandpaper very quickly.
I've a set of scales I haven't tackled yet where I'm wondering how far to go in sanding them down. It's like it wants to de-laminate but I don't think it's going to. Might as well ask before I go near it.View attachment 1145674

Give them a good soak in neats-foot oil that will help, and I find never sand dry always sand wet stops the clogging that's what I have found.

Top Bottom