What's new

What's for lunch.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I had some leftover pulled pork so I made some tacos. Fresh jalapenos, chili sauce, iceberg lettuce.

20230316_122803.jpg

Broiled some burgers in the stove today, instead of grilling, (snow and lots of wind). Buttered the buns and put them under the broiler for a bit. Dressed the six ounce patties with ketchup, mayo, onion, tomato slice, pickle, lettuce. Tasted like a BK Double Whopper! Sides were homemade coleslaw and baked beans. Very tasty lunch.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Went to the cookbook shelves yesterday and pulled out Polcyn & Ruhlman's Charcuterie. I also have their book on salumi but what I wanted isn't in that one...

I had a small embarrassment of chicken livers, so it was time to whomp up a pate. Seared chicken livers, ground pork, sauteed shallots, bit o' thyme, salt/pepper and a panada of bread, eggs and cream. Ground through a 3/16 plate and then baked for a couple of hours at 300 until it got to 160 internal. Pressed and chilled overnight, then served on homemade ciabatta. Classic Pate Grandmere.

Mrs. Hippie was impressed, and suggested that I get cracking on a batch of my all-rye sourdough bread which she believes would go well with the smooth meatiness of the pate. Will do; we got lotsa leftovers.

"...and I wipe my face in a natural way on the sleeve of my peasant shirt."

O.H.

Chili soup, simmered on the stove for an hour or so. This has more liquid than no-bean chili. Hamburger, onion, green pepper, garlic, chili beans, beef broth, crushed tomatoes, chili seasoning, tomato juice. We eat this with plenty of saltines and sliced cheddar and pepper jack cheese. Cold cinnamon flavored applesauce tastes great with this chili. This is our way of eating chili during cold times of the year. We usually make the thick no-bean chili during spring and summer, using hamburger or stew meat. Regardless, we like all the variations of chili.

Last edited:
Fried chicken salad. This is a very tasty and satisfying salad. Iceberg lettuce, chopped grape tomatoes, chopped hard-boiled egg, shredded cheddar, cut-up fried chicken tenders, chopped bacon, topped with Hidden Valley Ranch dressing.

Top Bottom