What's new

What's for dinner? February/March 2010

Grilled porterhouse steak, sweet potatoes and spinach. Accompanied by a 1986 Kenwood Jack London Vineyards Cab. Last of my double magnums of this. Will be hitting it hard with the Private Preserve to drink it over the next week.

That sounds wonderful.

We are having bbq pork roast from crockpot. Homeade coleslaw. On a bun. With steak fries.

Faux fried rice and carrot salad.
Not bad for leftovers. :001_tongu

proxy.php

That looks wonderful Jim, Great photo!

Thanks Josh! And thank you for starting this thread!

Tonight is a cultural collision

Italian sausage and peppers on cibata bread with french mustard, shredded and steamed savoy cabbage with HOT bean sauce ( Thanks Jay, yes,I do feel like I was maced)

The freezer cleanout continues!

proxy.php

Smoked brisket sandwiches from Schwartz's Deli, with some slaw & pickles. Chased with my dwindling supply of Shiner Bock.

Italian sausage and peppers on cibata bread with french mustard, shredded and steamed savoy cabbage with HOT bean sauce ( Thanks Jay, yes,I do feel like I was maced)

Wow!

Is that hot bean sauce made with something like this?:

proxy.php

The freezer cleanout continues!

proxy.php

Yum! The cabbage and hot bean sauce is making me hungry for a some Kimchee.

Dinner tomorrow night, Bacalao Pil Pil. Started soaking the cod this morning. Not my picture, but if all goes according to plan, dinner will look something like this:

proxy.php

Dinner tomorrow night, Bacalao Pil Pil. Started soaking the cod this morning. Not my picture, but if all goes according to plan, dinner will look something like this:

proxy.php

Your fish dishes continue! i have yet to find a sauce that makes salt cod palatable so im also very interested it's marinating in.

Your fish dishes continue! i have yet to find a sauce that makes salt cod palatable so im also very interested it's marinating in.

What don't you like about salt cod? I love its slightly salty, funky fishiness!

The sauce around it is actually a by-product of the cooking process. First you lightly brown some garlic and pepper in olive oil. Then you remove the solid, let the oil cool. Once is is cool enough that you can put your finger in it without pain, you add the fish skin side up and turn the heat up just a little. The goal is to actually gently poach the fish in the olive oil. All the while, you rotate the pan so that the olive oil washes over the skin, dissolving the collagen in it. The rotating also emulsifies the collagen in the olive oil, thickening it to create a lovely, unctuous sauce.

What a great obscure Basque dish! What are you soaking the cod in Henry?

Soaking it in plain old water for about 48 hours, changing the water ever 8 to 12. Have you soaked it in anything more interesting? If I don't cook it all, I'll have to make some Brandade de Morue.

I'm really enjoying cooking on Saturday dinners.

Top Bottom