What's new

What's for Dinner at Your House?

October birthday celebrations on Saturday for our oldest and youngest daughters this weekend. So, a fan favorite is always grilled pork tenderloin marinated in Sweet Baby Ray's Kickin' Bourbon sauce with a splash of real Angel's Envy Kentucky Bourbon. Plated the pork along with broccoli/cauliflower potato tots and a diverse choice of sides from Whole Foods. The sides included roasted garlic creamed spinach and cranberry cous cous pecan salad.

20201017_172140.jpg

Leftover pork went into Chinese pork fried rice for dinner last night.

Tim

Back to the basics last night -

Chicken Thighs

Trimmed most fat off, salt, pepper, garlic powder (out of cloves), pinch cayenne, let sit until room temp. Seared each side high heat for 90 seconds, reduced heat, butter basted & cooked each side until internal temp @ 165F-ish, let rest for 5 minutes. Nicely golden brown on each side & sliced into fingers to serve.

Broccoli

Rinsed & trimmed into mostly equal parts with long stalks, butter & salt, cooked in microwave dish mixing once at halfway point.

Tube Polenta

Sliced into 1/2" pieces, cleaned any burned chunks out of chicken pan but left grease, added thick piece of butter (refuse to call it a knob), cooked each side on high heat until golden brown, salt & pepper seasoning.

Seasoning

Paid extra attention to amounts used and distribution over meat, veg, & polenta. Did not measure out but made sure consistent.

I received more compliments from the family on the above than anything I've cooked in months. My son & wife each making multiple comments on everything. I usually get favorable feedback, last night an inordinate amount of it.

proxy.php

green beans, potatoes and ham, grilled pork steak, cast iron cornbread.
View attachment 1171246

Your cornbread looks spot on.

I started adding polenta to the milk 30 minutes before I mix in flour + rest of ingredients. My cornbread was always just OK. Now it's great, crispy but yielding on the outside but moist (not wet) on inside. Only negative on mine is I don't have an 8" or 9" skillet right now, using a 10" Wagner. Slices are half the thickness of yours which look perfect. Is that from an 8" or 9"?

(I also buy thick cut store brand bacon every few months and filter off the grease to use instead of shortening + grease skillet.)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
A fistful of Wheat Thins, a hunk of Jarlsberg cheese, 2 small apples, and a can of Diet Pepsi. Half a dozen Trick-or-Treat size Mounds bars. That kind of evening.

Top Bottom