What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

Have had pretty good success doing the low & slow sear method using the oven and chimney or stove top in cast iron. When i smoked a duck breast a couple weeks back was able to maintain an appropriate temp and length of time that i figured would work with one of the blade steaks i like to buy.

Two pound blade steak/roast bought at the market on Thursday set out in the fridge to air dry when i got home. Based on info in Salt/Fat/Acid/Heat salted it yesterday with about 3T Diamond Kosher salt. Today when i set out to bring to room temp salted with 1t of grill salt. Small fire in a kettle with applewood chunks and rosemary twigs on the briquettes. The steak had more rosemary stalks under it on the grill. Temperature was pretty steady 210-225F for the 70 minutes it took to hit 126F on the probe. Pulled off and tented the roast then put cooked salt potatoes into the end of the fire to blacken up and reheat.

Wanted to char some bok choy on the fire too but it was too far gone so used the gas grill for that. The bok choy was plated with a bit of lemon juice and parm, the potatoes topped with blitzed sourcream/greenonion, steak was seared stove top in cast iron rather then firing up another chimney, there's some kimchi, wasabi/horseradish... pumpkinpie/whippedcream & coffee to finish...

Worked out okay.
file1-31.jpeg
file3-24.jpeg
file4-21.jpeg
file5-20.jpeg
file6-15.jpeg
file-41.jpeg
file2-28.jpeg
file2-27.jpeg

dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
ground beef— I use 96% lean so no draining grease
Tomato bullion (knorr)
Ground Comino (cumin)
Garlic powder
Ground Pepper
Cilantro
Tomato-sliced
Onion-sliced
Bell pepper-sliced
Potato—cut it in the manner you want

On the side boil some water

Brown the beef
Stir in the bell pepper, onion,cilantro, and tomato.
Mix til it smells delish and then add the cut up potato.

Combine garlic powder, onion powder, ground pepper, and tomato bullion in a large measuring cup and add boiling water and stir

Cover, lower heat, and stir

If it seems thin throw some corn starch in a cup, add cold water, stir, and add to picadillo.

Now here comes the fun part!!

Sometimes I add squash and corn! Even cauliflower
Leave it with just taters or make it fancy.

As for amounts: I have never measured
Granny didn’t teach me to measure
Even tortillas are done by feel!!

***Look up the Grapefruit Pie thread on here***
You’ll love it
I make it often

View attachment 965768
View attachment 965769

Thank you sir! I'll definitely try this, I love recipes from Grandma!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Haha
My wife always calls and says that so and so wants to know how much this or that do we add. I have no idea
Most everything is by feel or taste
She also taught me to crochet and sew

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Haha
My wife always calls and says that so and so wants to know how much this or that do we add. I have no idea
Most everything is by feel or taste
She also taught me to crochet and sew

I'm the same way with a lot of "recipes". Why I don't bake much, too exact, almost like chemistry.

meal.jpg
In 2019, I got such a lasagna :) It does not pull on a masterpiece, but I tried, it turned out delicious!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks real nice Corey!

Half a jar of tomato sauce not needed for the weekend pizzas, some anchovies and sardine from the fridge, capers, kalamata olives, chili flakes, garlic, celery and chopped onion plus parsley and parm for a riff on puttanesca sauce. Fresh buffalo mozzarella raviolis from Italy, well as fresh as allowed...

file-43.jpeg
file1-33.jpeg
dave

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Have had pretty good success doing the low & slow sear method using the oven and chimney or stove top in cast iron. When i smoked a duck breast a couple weeks back was able to maintain an appropriate temp and length of time that i figured would work with one of the blade steaks i like to buy.

Two pound blade steak/roast bought at the market on Thursday set out in the fridge to air dry when i got home. Based on info in Salt/Fat/Acid/Heat salted it yesterday with about 3T Diamond Kosher salt. Today when i set out to bring to room temp salted with 1t of grill salt. Small fire in a kettle with applewood chunks and rosemary twigs on the briquettes. The steak had more rosemary stalks under it on the grill. Temperature was pretty steady 210-225F for the 70 minutes it took to hit 126F on the probe. Pulled off and tented the roast then put cooked salt potatoes into the end of the fire to blacken up and reheat.

Wanted to char some bok choy on the fire too but it was too far gone so used the gas grill for that. The bok choy was plated with a bit of lemon juice and parm, the potatoes topped with blitzed sourcream/greenonion, steak was seared stove top in cast iron rather then firing up another chimney, there's some kimchi, wasabi/horseradish... pumpkinpie/whippedcream & coffee to finish...

Worked out okay.
View attachment 966307 View attachment 966308 View attachment 966309 View attachment 966310 View attachment 966311 View attachment 966312 View attachment 966313 View attachment 966314
dave

I want to comment, but I'm nearly speechless

:a14:

Stopped raining long enough to get a chimney lit. Chicken wings marinated in a mix of molasses, cider vinegar, salt & water, smoked with hickory chunks.

Nachos...with fixin's...

Brew - local micro Collective Arts Brewing - Life in the Clouds, IPA. They announced this week they've signed a 15 year lease on a property in Brooklyn for a 16,000-sq/foot brewery, event space and tap room/restaurant.

Dessert - Magnum Double Chocolate ice cream bar.

Music - from Australia to LA, i picked the book ends my wife the mids.
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
Midnight Oil - 20,000 Watts R.S.L.
Lazy Cowgirls - Palomino Motel
Lazy Cowgirls - Ragged Soul

file-46.jpeg
file1-36.jpeg
file2-31.jpeg
file4-22.jpeg
file3-25.jpeg
file5-21.jpeg

dave

Excellent looking evening Dave!

We cheated last night and went out to a place called Flutes, in the National Museum of Singapore, modern Aussie-based cooking.

GjXKWAWCTTykC4XmWgb+qw.jpg
3YQ2PcugSQeNHITxIgDZsg.jpg l0SqgvOlT5+PtJDSTqmOFw.jpg
Green pea soup with creme fraiche and an Iberico ham croquette, rack of lamb on a bed of spring greens and peas (the pea boat obviously came in) and soursop baked Alaska. A bottle of Montepulciano and home to Sipsmiths and the F1 Quali from Bahrain.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Excellent looking evening Dave!

We cheated last night and went out to a place called Flutes, in the National Museum of Singapore, modern Aussie-based cooking.

View attachment 968057
View attachment 968058 View attachment 968059
Green pea soup with creme fraiche and an Iberico ham croquette, rack of lamb on a bed of spring greens and peas (the pea boat obviously came in) and soursop baked Alaska. A bottle of Montepulciano and home to Sipsmiths and the F1 Quali from Bahrain.

Sounds like a fantastic meal!

Thanks guys!

The nacho pan, my brother-in-law works for a manufacturer of industrial heating equipment and it's an off-cut of something they were making. Fourteen inch diameter, a little under a 1/2" deep, 85mil/2.1mm thick stainless steel, i've got one, i think my sister has two, would be great to have another but it doesn't seem to be going to happen. Had it for years and it's very handy.
dave

2ekL2G61SgycBMp0OW%Y%A.jpg OF7PIVxFRjejASaXLJx55Q.jpg
Another try at mini Beef Wellies. Getting closer...

Music - Rush mix, as the missus was out during the prep
Chef's helper - a Bordeaux some of which went in the sauce

Eighteen year old son back this weekend from university. He needed a break from studying and felt like making his first cheesecake.
323277E2-8B9B-4802-8A7C-582F80C5B5A9.jpeg

Paired well with a Brazilian med-dark roast brewed in the Chemex.

Pork Chops on the Traeger as I type this. Should be done in the next few minutes. I flipped them almost 10 minutes ago. Side one got close to 20 minutes.

Top Bottom