What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

Quickie spaghetti tonight. A little hot Italian sausage, a pinch of ground beef, a shallot, a mushroom or two, big splash of wine, half a jar of Trader Joe's marinara + parma cheese, bit of parsley. And a side salad.

We've a similar plan at the ready for those nights when we're stumped/decision paralysis on what to prepare, simple, quick and very tasty. We can a years worth of tomato sauce and tomato chunks when the gardens happening and usually have some sort of dried pasta in the cupboard, always ready to cook.
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
In February when i was there he had Lake Erie perch which i tried and was going to buy this time for the tacos but was sold out, pickerel he still had.
dave
Cleveland in February? That is one of the things I don't miss about Cleveland :)

Thanks guys! Had a quick spaghetti tonight but will post pictures of my next endeavor soon [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grill is a Weber Genesis.
Recipe varies. But this was a simple venture. My brother-in-law is a fairly straightforward sort of guy.
Picked up a 3 lb. (or thereabouts) Chuck Eye roast.
Soaked this one for a couple days in Stubb’s Soy, Garlic, and Red Pepper Marinade.
Hard sear over a very hot fire. Remove from direct heat and roast on indirect heat until you hit internal temperature of about 125 degrees.
Rest for a few minutes. Slice scary thin. Serve with tiger sauce and/or hot horseradish.

Grill is a Weber Genesis.
Recipe varies. But this was a simple venture. My brother-in-law is a fairly straightforward sort of guy.
Picked up a 3 lb. (or thereabouts) Chuck Eye roast.
Soaked this one for a couple days in Stubb’s Soy, Garlic, and Red Pepper Marinade.
Hard sear over a very hot fire. Remove from direct heat and roast on indirect heat until you hit internal temperature of about 125 degrees.
Rest for a few minutes. Slice scary thin. Serve with tiger sauce and/or hot horseradish.

Do you just baste with the leftover marinade while on the grill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Great looking stuff guys.

Leftovers tonight. Made a 7 lb Chinese braised pork shoulder on Sunday and used some of that left over meat (shredded) to make a quick stir fry. Braising liquid took the place of standard soy sauce and diced carrots, onions, ginger, garlic chives rounded it out. Served with a side of steamed baby bok choy.

fullsizeoutput_233.jpeg

Great BT, my favourite way to use up leftover proteins!

Comfort food cliché...

Under the broiler - Belle Creme cheese, Honey Crisp apple, sourdough bread and a bit of grated cheddar to glue the apple slices to the bread slices.

Soup, 2c vegetable broth, one pint jar each of last summer's tomato sauce, tomato chunks, small can tomato paste, chopped chipotle pepper. Heated, immersion blended then in with 3/4c whipping cream, season to taste.

file4-19.jpeg
file-38.jpeg
file3-22.jpeg

dave

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My wife is under the weather so I prepared a “juiced up” version of Picadillo for her.
Good old South Texas comfort food.

3A4D3FA2-445C-4BC3-A278-45427611D3F2.jpeg

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
ground beef— I use 96% lean so no draining grease
Tomato bullion (knorr)
Ground Comino (cumin)
Garlic powder
Ground Pepper
Cilantro
Tomato-sliced
Onion-sliced
Bell pepper-sliced
Potato—cut it in the manner you want

On the side boil some water

Brown the beef
Stir in the bell pepper, onion,cilantro, and tomato.
Mix til it smells delish and then add the cut up potato.

Combine garlic powder, onion powder, ground pepper, and tomato bullion in a large measuring cup and add boiling water and stir

Cover, lower heat, and stir

If it seems thin throw some corn starch in a cup, add cold water, stir, and add to picadillo.

Now here comes the fun part!!

Sometimes I add squash and corn! Even cauliflower
Leave it with just taters or make it fancy.

As for amounts: I have never measured
Granny didn’t teach me to measure
Even tortillas are done by feel!!

***Look up the Grapefruit Pie thread on here***
You’ll love it
I make it often

F47159B6-1730-4678-9B28-0F13533F9331.jpeg

E8A68F1D-2FA7-4D47-912F-78D698BAC73B.jpeg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Great BT, my favourite way to use up leftover proteins!

Comfort food cliché...

Under the broiler - Belle Creme cheese, Honey Crisp apple, sourdough bread and a bit of grated cheddar to glue the apple slices to the bread slices.

Soup, 2c vegetable broth, one pint jar each of last summer's tomato sauce, tomato chunks, small can tomato paste, chopped chipotle pepper. Heated, immersion blended then in with 3/4c whipping cream, season to taste.

View attachment 965195 View attachment 965196 View attachment 965197
dave

That looks absolutely delicious!

Never had picadillo Marty, looks good, i could see it as a good medicine for what ails you! Thanks for the recipe.
dave

Saturday nights are for messing around and it might be a month since doing pizza so a couple new ones based on recipes in The Elements of Pizza, have been using a slight tweak on the 24 - 48 hour dough recipe ratios starting with 333g of '00' flour to get two ~280g balls for two 12" pizzas but first...

Following Gabrielle Hamilton into dark alleys i'd have never have found & stumbled down on my own...

Triscuits, cornichons, grainy dijon and skinless/boneless Portuguese sardines, a few flakes of Maldon to finish.

IMG_E4003.JPG

Common to both pizzas, 280g dough ball, 110g fior di latte (fresh cow mozz), 90g tomato sauce, for sauce we use Amish Paste tomatoes putting them through a food mill then cook down by 1/3, add sliced garlic and basil then can. For the pizza just add some salt to give it some pop.

Dough was put together Friday afternoon.
Pizza #1 - Margherita - on top of the sauce; 15g grated parm, the fior di latte, 50g thin slice soppressata into the oven, i can hit 560F according to my thermometer. After the bake topped with arugula lightly dressed with evoo and fresh lemon juice.

Pizza #2 - I guess another Margherita - on top of the sauce; some basil leaves, the fior di latte then baked. After the bake topped with 50g of paper thin prosciutto.

I start the pizza on one side of the oven on a steel, give it two minutes then with tongs give it a 180 turn and slide to the other side of the steel, give it two minute and shut the oven off for about a minute then switch it to the broiler and move the pizza to the center and watch until it looks right. If i forget to switch off my oven and go directly to broiler the safety lock out shuts down the broiler before i'm done.

Orphan carton of whipping cream in the fridge with pumpkin pie written all over it, my wife's Saturday morning play time.

Beverage, the house red like just about always - Pelee Island Baco Noir

Music - The Tragically Hip; Road Apples
Music - Big Bang Theory; beware the root
Music - Them Crooked Vultures; Them Crooked Vultures

...right now, The Donnas; Spend the Night, in between, Eric Dolphy; The Essential...

IMG_E3998.JPG
IMG_E4010.JPG
IMG_E4011.JPG
IMG_E4012.JPG
IMG_E4017.JPG
IMG_E4019.JPG
IMG_E4021.JPG
file-40.jpeg
IMG_E4033.JPG

dave

Last edited:
I cannot claim any credit for this, other than using a chunk of airmails to upgrade my flight home from London yesterday to Singapore Airlines' Suites class: rack of lamb. Quite easily the best rack of lamb I have ever had, anywhere, let alone on a plane at 33,000 ft.
IMG_1876.JPG

Top Bottom