What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

Thank you Erik & @Rushman2112 !

Saturday nights adventure. have never done much with fish but trying to expand things in conjunction with a year old fish and chip shop that is bringing in some interesting stuff and making it available to the curious who want to try it out for themselves. Worth the trip just for lunch with the bonus of getting something new to bring home and play with. Had my first smelts and French fries Thursday, a staple of my wife's youth...

The last of his Norwegian Halibut, next shipment will be British Columbian. Halibut wrapped in prosciutto with thyme, sauteed then finished in the oven with puttanesca sauce. Fennel slabs marinated in fresh orange juice/evoo & black pepper, grilled. Orzo salad with a lemon/evoo vinaigrette, mixed well with the puttanesca.

Radish plate side salad

Dessert - store bought, decadent chocolate cake.

Beverage - broken record... same old house red, rarely misses.

Music - Drive By Truckers, American Band
Music - Steve Earle, Washington Square Serenade
Music - Doughboys, Turn Me On
Music - Big Country, he Buffalo Skinners
Music - Total Reggae, Roots

file-54.jpeg
file5-23.jpeg
file6-17.jpeg
file7-12.jpeg
file2-38.jpeg
file1-44.jpeg
file3-32.jpeg
file1-45.jpeg

dave

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thank you Erik & @Rushman2112 !

Saturday nights adventure. have never done much with fish but trying to expand things in conjunction with a year old fish and chip shop that is bringing in some interesting stuff and making it available to the curious who want to try it out for themselves. Worth the trip just for lunch with the bonus of getting something new to bring home and play with. Had my first smelts and French fries Thursday, a staple of my wife's youth...

The last of his Norwegian Halibut, next shipment will be British Columbian. Halibut wrapped in prosciutto with thyme, sauteed then finished in the oven with puttanesca sauce. Fennel slabs marinated in fresh orange juice/evoo & black pepper, grilled. Orzo salad with a lemon/evoo vinaigrette, mixed well with the puttanesca.

Radish plate side salad

Dessert - store bought, decadent chocolate cake.

Beverage - broken record... same old house red, rarely misses.

Music - Drive By Truckers, American Band
Music - Steve Earle, Washington Square Serenade
Music - Doughboys, Turn Me On
Music - Big Country, he Buffalo Skinners
Music - Total Reggae, Roots

View attachment 972186 View attachment 972187 View attachment 972188 View attachment 972189 View attachment 972190 View attachment 972191 View attachment 972192 View attachment 972198
dave

It looks amazing, Dave! :thumbup1:

Did not manage any photos last night, but I used my new MEATER+ gadget on a 1.2kg Aussie grass-fed ribeye. I set it for an internal temp of 57C and initially could not figure out what the estimated cooking time would be so I guessed at about 90 mins. Then when I had sussed it out, the cooking time turned out closer to 75 mins so my veggies were not ready - roast cauliflower and parsnips, and a broccoli mash. The device pinged to let me know when to get the meat out and rest, then again to let me know it was ready to eat but the veggies needed another 5 mins or so, by which time the meat had strayed more to medium meduim rare as opposed to medium rare. That said, it was a decent quality lump of beef, so it was still pretty good, moist and good eating. I shall work on my timing next time!

Tonight, the missus will be using the other half of it in an Indonesian dish called a Balado - basically a chilli sauce.

Music, again none as the Brumbies were playing the Lions in the Superugby
Drink, a NZ Pinot Noir rose called Spy Valley, followed by a St Emilion on special offer from the supermarket - $6 off plus an extra 10% if you purchased 4 bottles.

Thanks Erik!

Sounds good @Rushman2112, timing is always a killer for me, occasionally it all falls together but then i go take pictures so it's all pretty much lukewarm to cold by the time i eat. My wife and daughter don't bother to plate anything until i do pictures and then their throw-it-on-a-plate looks better then my composition... more pictures...

Sunday's experiment... Veal Eye of Round coated with suppose to be Mediterranean herbs, whipped lemon potatoes, roastedredpepper/balsamic/basil jam.

A little over 2lb 'eye', used close to one and half lb. piece for tonight, air dried for 72hrs., whether that made any difference... Seared then rubbed wihe mix of parsley/sage/rosemary/thyme/lemonzest/garlic/evoo, 250F oven for ~50min, the probe rang 126F internal temp. Potatoes whipped with sour cream milk and lemon zest. The jam was sauteed onions and garlic with the roasted red peppers, balsamic vinegar and the basil to finish.

file5-25.jpeg
file-58.jpeg
file1-48.jpeg
file2-41.jpeg
file3-35.jpeg
file7-14.jpeg
file6-19.jpeg

dave

Looking good there Dave. I have never tried to cook veal, it's way too expensive here to risk ruining it(!)

I need to work on my timing, but trouble is trying to juggle cooking, rugby and drinking I get distracted...

Had a second attempt with the MEATER+ last night: the supermarket has recently started selling quite chunky boneless chicken breasts so I got a couple and heated the oven to 220c. Seasoned them, and a little olive oil on top with some garlic granules and some dried thyme. Inserted the probe and opened the app.

It told me that USDA recommendation for chicken is 74c so I went with that, and this time I knew where the estimated cooking time bit was and after a couple of minutes thinking about the question, it said 36 mins.

After 36 mins, it pinged, and told me to rest for 5 mins. I went to lie down but the app called me back, saying the chicken should rest - who's done all the work I thought?? So, out of the oven and tented with foil. By this time it said the internal temp was 72c.

Finished off sauting a medley of vegs, and it pinged again. Plated up and away.

The skin was nicely crispy, and the meat was sensational. Moist, tender, perfectly cooked. Probably a better result than with the sous vide as the skin was great.

No drink, it being a Monday night, and no music, The Avengers with Patrick McNee and Diana Rigg instead.

Sorry folks, but the food seems to have slipped in quality. And by slipped, I mean somehow, impossibly has improved. I am staying tuned, you can take that to the bank.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
A three egg pasta cut into sorta tagliatelle strands with a bolognese sauce.

Bottle of red infused with 1/4c dried porcini mushrooms and 4 cups beef stock cooked down with a 1lb sauteed mix of ground pork/veal/beef, pancetta, onion/carrots/garlic, tomato paste, finished with heavy cream...

View attachment 970279 View attachment 970280 View attachment 970283 View attachment 970284
View attachment 970285

Last night brined rotisseried chicken outside on the grill, was going to roast in the oven it but spring arrived unexpectedly yesterday so change of plans.

View attachment 970286

Thursday night veg/bean burrito, black beans, zucchini, corn, red peppers, avocados and mild gouda.

View attachment 970288 View attachment 970289
dave
Nice

Nicely done Chris! Alas, still months before burger season here...

Wasn't around today to do anything major so yesterday made Anthony Bourdain's Black Bean soup with a bit of a tweaking for tonight's dinner. Chunks of chorizo first fried up to render the fat then removed, vegetables added to fat sauteed, soaked beans and 4 cups beef stock added to pot, cooked to tenderness' pureed, chorizo chunks and mince chipotles added. For garnish another link of Portuguese chorizo sliced and crisped up along with a mess of whatever we could come up with.

Music - Kyuss... and the circus leaves town
music - David Bowie, Lodger

file8-10.jpeg
file7-15.jpeg
file6-20.jpeg
file-59.jpeg
file5-26.jpeg
file3-36.jpeg
file4-29.jpeg
file2-42.jpeg

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Wasn't around today to do anything major so yesterday made Anthony Bourdain's Black Bean soup with a bit of a tweaking for tonight's dinner. Chunks of chorizo first fried up to render the fat then removed, vegetables added to fat sauteed, soaked beans and 4 cups beef stock added to pot, cooked to tenderness' pureed, chorizo chunks and mince chipotles added. For garnish another link of Portuguese chorizo sliced and crisped up along with a mess of whatever we could come up with.

View attachment 974179 View attachment 974180 View attachment 974181 View attachment 974182 View attachment 974183 View attachment 974184 View attachment 974185 View attachment 974186
dave
That deep red reminds me of chili.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

View attachment 974179 View attachment 974180 View attachment 974181 View attachment 974182 View attachment 974183 View attachment 974184 View attachment 974185 View attachment 974186
dave

Yum!

Top Bottom