What's new

What's Cooking 2017

IMG_0240.JPG

Currently freezing in France, so I had this for lunch with leftover new potatoes made into a salad with Amora mustard mayo and some grated garlic and shallot. Simply grilled the faux-filet (sirloin/striploin) after salting and peppering. For the record it was 492g uncooked. Also for the record, as with most steaks I eat here, it was chewier than the usual Aussie ones I eat at home, but good beefy flavour.

A different take on bangers and mash... seasoned and roasted red potato and onion slices with a nicely done banger. Came out dang tasty for being something I just tossed together at the last minute.

IMG_20170427_194538.jpg

Another fast, simple, low ingredients count very tasty Saturday night meal. Really good tonight, given a few days to come together should be great.

Black Bean Soup- onion and garlic sauteed until soft, a 28oz. can of whole tomatoes in tomatoes juice into the pot breaking up the tomatoes, a bit of water, ground cumin, chopped up chipotle and sauce, a 28oz. can of undrained Goya Black Beans. Heat through, taste for seasoning. Garnish the bowls with reconstituted sun dried tomatoes, chopped cilantro and Greek yogurt. Sourdough on the side.

Bakery bought chocolate tart with camera imprint.
dave

Getting tired of waiting for summer and broke down and bought a couple locally grown, greenhouse, heirloom tomatoes, a hint of things yet to come. Reverse seared sirloin, even with the outside door beside the stove open, the exhaust fan & ceiling fans on full and front door open, there's no getting around setting off the hallway smoke alarm on and on it beeps.

Sirloin steak, red onion, arugula, heirloom tomato with pesto mayo (a cube of pesto from the freezer & Hellmann's) on a broiled mini baguette rubbed with garlic, drizzled with olive oil.

So good we had to break out a bottle red, living dangerous on a Sunday night...
dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I note the Paella in another thread. Our meal was somewhat Mediterranean influenced.

Roasted eggplant, zucchini, onion, in a lemon, garlic, mint dressing. Mild Italian sausage. Crisped pita. Quick Tzatziki. kalamata olives.

Greek.jpg

My breath right now is akin to something you would expect to hear from Carnac the magnificent as a curse. I'm loving it!

What's on for today folks? Got these almost ready, sweet potatoes already off the grill and a cold Vienna Lager in my hand. Love this weather!

Attachments

• 20170502_181958.jpg
    20170502_181958.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
Another take on black bean soup this time with fresh tomato garnish and Greek yogurt then a quick Salmon Chowder made with wild BC salmon.
dave

Thanks Connie!

We're on a dessert hiatus this week, although there are some store bought treats but they don't count. We rented a car on the weekend and it was run around from Friday night to Sunday night and little time for the dessert end of things. The meals were all quick ones and that's continued all week... but the weekend is almost here so stay tuned, rhubarb is ready for harvest #1 and we still have some in the freezer, i think i know what may be in store.

dave

Beluga Lentils & Baby Spinach in a Coconut Milk/Vegetable Broth. Vegetarian/Vegan bowl.

The last of the freezer rhubarb and more freezer raspberries & blackberries in a pie, slices topped with Greek yogurt.

Music - Rough Guide to the best of African Music You've Never Heard

dave

Last edited:
Never been allowed to mess with one of these before, hallowed ground, there's only one proper way to do these and i go off the rails too fast and far to be trusted. This is kinda like me saying, in my household, i'd like to bake a pie, clearly drawn lines in the sand that you do not cross but... some time in the night my wife was stricken by some bug and hasn't left the bed all day so i had to be set loose with a dead bird. I've never oven roasted a whole chicken before, put on the spot here.

Stuffed it with one & half lemons, some smashed garlic cloves and fresh thyme sprigs. Under the breast skin, salt, olive oil and chopped parsley and cilantro. More olive oil over top with more salt and pepper, absolutely status quo. Chunks of yellow potatoes, carrots, rutabaga and celeriac scattered around the bird to roast in the chicken fat, olive oil and lemon juice.

Bondage & Birds
dave

Top Bottom