What's new

What's Cooking 2017

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
kumara? The lamb looks great.

Kumara is Maori for sweet potato. They bought them here over a thousand years ago from the pacific islands and was a staple part of their diet. The purple and red tastes quite different than a regular sweet potato.

IMG_5591.JPG

Pork schnitzel with spaetzl and cut corn. Really wish there was an easier way to beat those chops into submission
IMG_5591.JPG

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Well, I call it "breakfast food", but I'll eat it any time of the day or night...

Also, congrats on finding your purple pants to put on again!

Thanks, Dustin.
breakfast food knows no time.

What is the tan substance to the left of the blood sausage, Mr. Purple Pants? :)

Mr. Purple Pants :laugh:, lucky the old CT have gone.
That tan substance is some hot English mustard, no other mustard cuts the mustard for black pudding.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'd guess at Taylor's, not radioactive yellow like Coleman's.

Nope, masterfoods which is a Aussie brand. I sometimes make my own mustard by simply mixing Colemans hot English power and milk. That needs to sit for a short time before you use it so the pre made stuff wins for me.

DDMFEM.gif

I like a good English mustard, tho I don't really call them "hot". When I was slathering it on a cheese sandwich, my UK friend looked at me like I was insane.

Looking good Chris, eggs for dinner, great idea!

I really, really enjoyed this one. A riff on shakshuka/chakchuka?, a middle east, N. African, Mediterranean egg dish, i think usually vegetarian...

Charbroiled coarsely chopped red pepper and a yellow onion. Sauteed a hot Hungarian cured sausage from the market, same kind we use for pizza. Dumped in the charred vegetables, a big can of busted up whole tomatoes in tomato juice, minced fresh garlic and some chipotle peppers & sauce. Cooked that up for a bit then made hollows in the sauce to accept eggs, in with the eggs and poached in the sauce 'til done then topped with feta and cilantro. Buttered sourdough toast to dip and mop.

Dessert- Banana Split

Broiled bananas with brown sugar and cinnamon
Ben & Jerry's Chocolate, Chocolate Cookie, Chocolate Pudding ice cream
Bacon, Chili, Caramel Sauce
Crumbled Bacon
Crumbled Sponge Toffee
Cayenne Pepper & Chili Flakes
Whipped Cream

Had the serving dish in the freezer for a couple of hours before i needed it but the broiled bananas still made short work of the ice cream. Could have used a lot more of the peppers, all that sugar and dairy totally cut any chili heat.

dave

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Those sausages sound and look great, Tom. I need to have another go at making my own sausages.

Moroccan Lamb Neck Slices with couscous and almonds.
Cooked low in the oven for 4.5 hours with the dried apricots added with an hour to go.
It was falling off the bone tender. Very nice if I say so myself.

My photos of stuff covered in gravy never look like I hope they would.

20170425_162845.jpg

Now some people love lamb shanks for the slow cook and the recipe I used was for shanks but I for one much prefer the neck slices. Shhhhhh don't tell anyone, they are cheaper than shanks as well. :)

burp.

20170425_164333.jpg

I really, really enjoyed this one. A riff on shakshuka/chakchuka?, a middle east, N. African, Mediterranean egg dish, i think usually vegetarian...

Charbroiled coarsely chopped red pepper and a yellow onion. Sauteed a hot Hungarian cured sausage from the market, same kind we use for pizza. Dumped in the charred vegetables, a big can of busted up whole tomatoes in tomato juice, minced fresh garlic and some chipotle peppers & sauce. Cooked that up for a bit then made hollows in the sauce to accept eggs, in with the eggs and poached in the sauce 'til done then topped with feta and cilantro. Buttered sourdough toast to dip and mop.

Dave, I just had the same thing minus the meat and sub the feta for moz. for breakfast this morning, we make it on the weekends then eat it a couple mornings during the week, it's amazingly good!

Dave, I just had the same thing minus the meat and sub the feta for moz. for breakfast this morning, we make it on the weekends then eat it a couple mornings during the week, it's amazingly good!

It's a keeper! I'd only made it meat free in the past but saw where someone had put chorizo to theirs, i had something along those lines in the fridge so why not. I think it's one of those dishes that if you a bunch of people for a recipe no two will be the same. Endlessly variable, eggs poached in a tomato sauce made with whatever you have on hand, can't go wrong, simple, quick, cheap and delicious!

dave

Agreed with everything in your post! The first time we made it I was blown away by the amount of flavor in the dish that was so well balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom