What's new

What's an appropriate age to explain the Holocaust to a child?

I learned about the Holocaust as a very young child. Then when I was 8, I met a survivor with a number tattooed on her forearm. If your daughter can understand a concept of death, differentiate between good and evil, she can start learning about the Shoah. The experience can, some time, be traumatic. I remember my very first visit to the Holocaust museum in Washington DC. At the end of the tour, my friend and I, both grown men, were sitting in the remembrance hall weeping like babies. So, it might be better if she participates in a program specific for her age and shares this experience with her peers.

Why not discuss it with someone at the museum? Whoever's on duty will know someone there that's expert at this very situation, and you could make the conversation more personal, directed at your particular views and your children's situation.
+1. I was going to offer my opinion, but your answer is hard to beat. When I was in Hebrew school, around that age and not much more than a decade after the actual events, I don't recall it being taught.

I have trouble discussing in-depth topics with my daughter. She is 4 years old. Unless it's age specific (sex ed at 13 for instance), I let her ask the questions. I can see myself in a few years broaching the subject of the holocaust, and see how much she wants to discover herself. My uncle doesn't speak of his time served in Vietnam, so not all subjects have to be deeply explored. Best of luck!

I'm split on this. Part of me wants to let a child have a happy childhood with as few worries as possible, where another part of me believes it's better to train a child to the realities of the world. I really don't know what the best answer is, but the latter at least should, in theory, give better chances of survival.

The Holocaust was first introduced to me in school in 6th grade at age 11-12. I was already somewhat aware of the Holocaust before that but don't remember how or when I first learned of it.

I'm split on this. Part of me wants to let a child have a happy childhood with as few worries as possible, where another part of me believes it's better to train a child to the realities of the world. I really don't know what the best answer is, but the latter at least should, in theory, give better chances of survival.

I am just wondering how what happened on a different continent seventy years ago is going to make an American child more prepared for survival in the modern American life?

I'd say wait till it comes up in school unless she starts asking questions. I remember in school we had a teachers aid that was tattooed and survived one of the camps. I don't remember which one though. She lost her whole family. She talked about some of the other prisoners pointing out the smoke from the crematoriums and saying to her that her family was already dead...ill never forget it. Let the kid be a kid a little longer I say because once you hear about what happened...your never the same.

Not to start a political argument, but it really pisses me off when country's like Iran deny the holocaust.

I know many on here subscribe to the theory that let children learn about evil things later in life because there is so much more time later to learn about them...let them be innocent as long as they can. I personally don't think that is the right approach. As far as an age goes...I think you as the parent will know best. Each child comes into their maturity at different ages. While the Holocaust is such an event that changed the world and is so complex that even many adults can't wrap their heads around it, I think certain aspects can be introduced at a relatively young age.

The fairy-tales of old were meant for children and adults alike to teach valuable life lessons. And if anyone has seen or read them, they are not the fairy-tales we read kids today. If we do not teach our children the evils of today that await them...how will they be prepared when they encounter them? After all, we think that we can protect our children at all times, but the fact of the matter is we cannot. I know many will disagree with me, but this is how I feel.

The Holocaust is a very specific and complicated matter. And while I am not sure I would teach a nine-year-old all the philosophical intricacies of the event, there are generalities that I think can be taught. As your child gets older...and perhaps you might even enjoy it...one of the greatest teaching tools I think is out there is Art Spiegelman's MAUS. It is the author's re-telling of his Father's acounts as a Jewish Holocaust survivor (See link below). It's a graphic novel which won a Pulitzer prize. I read in a class for college and it is used in high schools around the country (US). It is a great account of some of the atrocities done in a very creative way.

At any rate...good luck with you dilemma...you know your child best and you will make the best decision. Sorry I waxed poetic on this. If I over stepped my boundaries at any time, feel free to reach across the internet and give me good smack in the face.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Maus-25th-Anniversary-Edition/dp/0679406417

As your child gets older...and perhaps you might even enjoy it...one of the greatest teaching tools I think is out there is Art Spiegelman's MAUS. It is the author's re-telling of his Father's acounts as a Jewish Holocaust survivor (See link below). It's a graphic novel which won a Pulitzer prize. I read in a class for college and it is used in high schools around the country (US). It is a great account of some of the atrocities done in a very creative way.

Good tip. I read this as an adult and enjoyed it, too.

Has she seen anything that references the Holocaust? Like the intro scene in the first X-men movie, Schindler's List, etc?

Just dropping it cold on her might be a bit much. Has she had a history class that has mentioned it yet? I bet there is plenty of youth oriented Holocaust media out there that might distill it down to her level. I seem to recall "knowing" about bad things in WW2 at a fairly early age mainly from TV/movies (discussion of the Holocaust was more prevalent in the 70's/early 80's than today, I think) and then spy/war novels.

To Eeyore, I think the Holocaust is a great, tragic example to teach to kids about the oppression of government and intolerance taken to the extremes. Sure there are, sadly, many other examples to include plenty in the continental US, but few with the amount of visual documentation that makes the Holocaust really hit home. Unfortunately I think we are going to have ringside seats to another such event as Europe struggles to deal with the flood of immigrants saturating societies that have long historical legacies of violently resisting each others influence.

When really... is any of us old enough to learn of such a thing? Once you know of such darkness, light never seems the same. My parents never once spoke about it. Their silence didn't harm me; I read all about it on my own... and so have my children. Perhaps there are some things that a child should not associate his parents with when learning about. I'm glad that I didn't have my parents telling me about this. It would have only added unnecessarily to the sadness.

I've never shrunk away from learning about the Holocaust, and have much more than just a passive interest in learning everything I can about those who perpetrated it, encouraged it, lent their reputation to it... and afterwards... those who sought to distance themselves from it, change the history, or even deny it ever happened. I have a very keen sense of disgust for anyone who would use the Holocaust as a means of furthering some point they wish to make.

I'm very glad that my parents did not feel that they needed to tell me that I ought to give the subject some thought.

When you make certain that your children observe you enjoying reading and learning, and you then encourage them to read and learn, it's not necessary to say to them: "Here, look at this." You know they will find it and deal with it in a manner appropriate to their age.

I remember when both of my daughters brought Diary of a Young Girl home from the library, and I noticed the flurry of history books which followed. I didn't test them or offer my comments.

------------

My daughters are now adult women, former English majors, and when I look at their bookcases I notice a good balance between dark and light.

Last edited:
I visited Auschwitz on both my 8th & 11th birthdays, it was during large groups tours of Poland and by some quirk of fate the only chances we had to go both fell on my birthday in different years. It was a difficult decision for my parents the first time but I'm glad they opted to take me along. My grandmother was in a concentration camp and my grandfather was enlisted in the Polish army so I was aware of these things but standing in the cells and seeing the tanks of hair really hammered it home. Educating children is not always fun but it's important to keep history from repeating.

I'm probably one of the last people to offer advice ( I don't have children and potentially could change my mind on the subject when I do). I think you're already doing a great job.

However, growing up my folks never "hid" anything from me. News, movies, books, etc.
I remember learning about the Holocaust at an early age. I can't remember if it was in school or at home. I found it daunting, upsetting, but also very fascinating. Around 6th grade my school had us read the book "Night" by Elie Weisel, along with The Diary of Anne Frank.

If your daughter is interested in reading, perhaps letting her read about it first? The Diary of Anne Frank was of course written by a girl not much older than your daughter. Perhaps thats a good way to introduce her to the subject.

Putting an age on that sort of action is quite pointless in my opinion. Some children are more advanced at 9yo than others at 12yo.

^^^ This is perfect.

I was probably six when my parents started exposing me to that. it wasn't just what happened but how it is the responsibility of good people to stand up to evil.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and wisdom.

I think one reason I’m leaning towards a very gentle introduction to the topic is that being of an East European origin, it is something that formed a significant chapter of the childhood of both my parents (non-Jewish Hungarians). Also the subject isn’t a compulsory part of school education in this country so it is quite possible to go through the entire school system without it ever being formally taught, though naturally one would become aware of the event regardless. Certainly I never recall the subject being taught to me when I attended school in the 1970s and 1980s but I had a keen interest in 20th Century history from a young age and read widely so was fully aware of it and went on to study it at university. I suppose I want my daughter to be able to stand up for the oppressed and to state objections against things like the couple of extremely offensive Holocaust-related “jokes” I recall hearing in the school playground when I was a child and probably not much older than she is today. Now these were few and far between and anti-Semitism is not a problem here, but I suspect that I sniggered along with everyone else (somethingthat makes me cringe when I think about it today). However, without a basic understanding of the reality of the Holocaust, I didn’t have the tools to make a case against them. My parents shielded me from the subject and I never knew of their experiences of it until I reached adulthood.

Anyway, yesterday I discovered this children’s book in our local library and think it would be a good place to start. I'll leave the museum for another 2 - 4 years or so.

http://www.amazon.com/Erikas-Story-Ruth-Vander-Zee/dp/0898128919

Top Bottom