What's new

What year did the Gillette Techs start using zamak heads?

I know the 60s had zamak heads, but I'm not sure when the transition to using zamak for the Tech razors actually happened.

Does anyone know the individual weights of the pre-1962 Techs with brass ball-end handle, brass baseplate and brass cap?
Thanks.

63 grams for my 1961. Surprisingly hefty and nice to use because they're solid brass. After the zamak heads came in they also went to aluminium handles (my 1971 and 1975 are anyway).

63 grams for my 1961. Surprisingly hefty and nice to use because they're solid brass. After the zamak heads came in they also went to aluminium handles (my 1971 and 1975 are anyway).

Hmm, my 1962 ball end Tech only weighs 58g (36g,11g, 11g)...

Do you know what the zamak ones weigh?

I gave one zamak one to my brother and the other one is a travel handle. I noticed with the 1961 ball end tech that the base plate and cap are surprisingly thick which is why it's heavier. Thicker than my 1940s fat handle tech cap and base plate.

Hmm, my 1962 ball end Tech only weighs 58g (36g,11g, 11g)...

Do you know what the zamak ones weigh?

I gave one zamak one to my brother and the other one is a travel handle. I noticed with the 1961 ball end tech that the base plate and cap are surprisingly thick which is why it's heavier. Thicker than my 1940s fat handle tech cap and base plate.

My pre-war, triangular slot fat handled Tech weighs 48g and is lighter than my ball end Tech. The top cap is much thicker on the fat handled Tech and weighs much more, 15g vs 11g.
The base plate on the fat handled Tech is 10g vs 11g on the ball end...

Necro bump!

I recently saw a picture of a 4th Quarter 1958 "Psycho" Tech razor that appears to have a Zamak top cap. Perhaps the secured razors ("psychos") are what let to Zamak being used in Gillette's commercial razors as well?

~Kai

R

romsitsa

Zamak was used in ww2 issue Techs, I guess it was simply cheaper and less needed than brass (for the war effort). Iirc the black contract Tech was full zamak except for the base being sheet metal.
The “classic” zamak cap appeared at the end of the 50ies, early 60ies, together with the aluminum handles.

Adam

Top Bottom