What's new

What would you give for this lot of razors? (picture heavy)

I stopped at an antique store today, and the gentleman hands me a case of close to 40 straight razors. Sadly, some of them are beyond repair (including one VERY old W&B) and others are in need of various degrees restoration. A handful could be used with just a nice honing, but I'm thinking of nabbing these for restoration practice. The gentleman is asking $200 for the lot, but I think he'd take $125-150. What do you all think? I could really use a good amount of input here, as I'm still relatively new to straights, and don't want to pay more than is necessary.

First is a small (4/8 is my guess) Imperial Razor with "Extra Hollow Ground" on the blade in tortoise shell
proxy.php

Next is a 6/8 wedge made. On the tang, it reads:
Manufactured by
Frederick Rev No (7?)
Sheffield
A small "FR" is stamped next to the Frederick, and is turned perpendicular
proxy.php

Next is a Dubl Duck Special No 1, would just require some buffing, probably could get by without going to greaseless...scales would need replaced
proxy.php

Next is a Joseph Rodgers and Sons that has "Chinese" stamped on the blade. The scales are in good condition, and some pitting is present, but nothing major.
proxy.php

Next is a JC Cockhill's Wedge. Would require greaseless, IMO, and scales are wood of some kind.
proxy.php

Next is a smiling, very old, Wade and Butcher wedge. There is no "arrow" stamp present on the tang, so I *think* that dates it a bit older, but I'm not sure.
proxy.php

Red Imp. It has "133" stamped on the tang, if that means anything.
proxy.php

Another W&B that is "pre-arrow stamp". Full wedge, bone scales. The pitting there in the center doesn't feel as bad as it looks.
proxy.php

Last, but not least, a Sheffield Wedge. No maker's mark, but it says "CAST STEEL" on the tang. What's unique about this one, is it has a stamp of George Washington on it (going the length of the blade). It has "WASHINGTON" at the top, which you can kind of see, and "CHAMPION OF LIBERTY" at the bottom, which isn't visible in this picture. The stamp is VERY faint, and you have to hold against the light just right to make much of it out.
proxy.php

There six or seven (of the 38) razors that are completely beyond repair, so I won't even bother mentioning them, but there are about 15 others that are lesser known that might be worth mentioning:

A Genco or two
A Keen Kutter
A Claus or two
A Wilbert Cutlery Co (I think, hard to make out) that is lined with pearl on the tang
A Boker 4/8 extra hollow
THE 3000 - 3000 on the blade / "Eye Witness" and Listers Patent 14338 on the tang.
A couple others.

I think the lot was well looked after, (no chips in the blades for the most part) it's just that rust got to a good portion of them. Probably was kept in the basement and maybe a flood got to them.

So, sorry for such the long post. Is this lot worth the asking price?

THANK YOU!!!

Last edited:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Some really nice razors there. You wouldn't go wrong at his price. In fact, ask him where all the really good ones are....some more might come out of the woodwork....or ask him, "Who do you know that might have a similar collection?"

There's also a pretty nice carrying case (and one Old Spice mug) being thrown in on the deal. I'll get it tomorrow, and post all the razors in this thread.

Absolutely! That is a large and diverse lot of high quality razors for $200. Restore and sell one of the Sheffield razors and you'll make your money back.

Without a doubt. Even if you were to split the lot up and sell it off on say...ebay, without any resto work I still think you'd come out way ahead.

Top Bottom