What's new

What was your carry today?

In The Netherlands the last few years stabbings have been rocketing skyhigh.
Especially amoung young kids/ children.
But I don't think carrying a blade would make me feel much safer.
The police and government must fix this.

That's probably the biggest difference between America and Europe.
We believe ( or should I say hope) governments will take care of this.
In America people like to take care of things themselves.

Help is just a 911 call away, but it will all be over before authorities can arrive. Government solutions are disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
In The Netherlands the last few years stabbings have been rocketing skyhigh.Especially amoung young kids/ children.
But I don't think carrying a blade would make me feel much safer.

Imagine a 6’2 220 pound drugged and crazed lunatic, armed with a big knife, breaking into the home of a single mother with several small children.

The large, drugged man, is violently kicking in the back door, trying to make entry. The mother, all alone, in the middle of the night, who wants to protect herself and her small children only has a knife also, to defend herself against this huge, crazed maniac. She is alone, she is terrified and she can only hope and pray he doesn’t gain entry until the police arrive?

Kinda scary imagining, what her odds would be to successfully defend herself against a much larger and stronger, drug fueled man, armed only with a knife just like he is?

What if the police don’t arrive in time?

However, if she has a gun, it is the great equalizer which would now give her a fighting chance and increase her and her children’s chances of survival and remaining safe?

The police and government must fix this.

And if they don’t?

That's probably the biggest difference between America and Europe.

Someone is stabbed or bludgeoned to death in the UK every 6 seconds. Are they considered a part of Europe?

We believe (or should I say hope) governments will take care of this.

We hope they will also, just as you do.

But we also believe, it is our God given right to protect and defend ourselves; and that single mother doesn’t have to wait, until that 6’2”220 pound, drug fueled, violent maniac gets in before she realizes putting all her trust in the government to save her and her small children might not happen?

In America people like to take care of things themselves.

Yes, yes we do... :)

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Imagine a 6’2 220 pound drugged and crazed lunatic, armed with a big knife, breaking into the home of a single mother with several small children.

The large, drugged man, is violently kicking in the back door, trying to make entry. The mother, all alone, in the middle of the night, who wants to protect herself and her small children only has a knife also, to defend herself against this huge, crazed maniac. She is alone, she is terrified and she can only hope and pray he doesn’t gain entry until the police arrive?

Kinda scary imagining, what her odds would be to successfully defend herself against a much larger and stronger, drug fueled man, armed only with a knife just like he is?

However, if she has a gun, it is the great equalizer which would now give her a fighting chance and increase her and her children’s chances of survival and remaining safe?

And if they don’t?

Someone is stabbed or bludgeoned to death in the UK every 6 seconds. Are they considered a part of Europe?

But we also believe, it is our God given right to protect and defend ourselves; and that single mother doesn’t have to wait, until that 6’2”220 pound, drug fueled, violent manic gets in before she realizes putting all her trust in the government to save her and her small children might not happen?

[/QUOTE]

You and I both have seen the myriad instances that happen daily and do not make the news because they are so frequent. Some people are not aware of how much goes on that's not reported on.

Seems like the difference between the thinking of Europe and the U.S. is similar to the difference between Canada and the U.S....different cultures.

OkieStubble

You and I both have seen the myriad instances that happen daily and do not make the news because they are so frequent. Some people are not aware of how much goes on that's not reported on.

Seems like the difference between the thinking of Europe and the U.S. is similar to the difference between Canada and the U.S....different cultures.

You are absolutely correct as always my friend. The story I relayed above of the woman with small children, was a true and accurate story. However, when it happened 20 years ago, I just happened to arrive on time and jumped the back yard fence, right as he was yanking off her rear, patio door.

I didn't pull a knife out of my duty holster and point it at him while giving orders to drop his knife and get on the ground. I pulled a duty pistol from my duty holster and pointed it at him. Now, ask me how many countless times I have responded to a violent encounter, as I'm sure you have also, where the victim has already been brutally injured or killed and the suspect /s were already gone?

And if they don’t?

But we also believe, it is our God given right to protect and defend ourselves; and that single mother doesn’t have to wait, until that 6’2”220 pound, drug fueled, violent maniac gets in before she realizes putting all her trust in the government to save her and her small children might not happen?

I'm from the Netherlands and could someone tell me why someone would want to carry a sidearm?
For the one in a millon chance one might get robbed?
No, for the chance one might get killed. I have no idea about the crime situation in your country but here in the USA it's pretty bad and in some areas of this country the politicians don't give a Damm and they handcuff the police, that's why I carry.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Well now you're talking home defence which is a different matter. Like I said I feel I should be allowed to protect my home. Inside the house that. If someone breaks in to my house at night without my permission a shotgun at hand would be great. Maybe even with non-lethal ammo( don't know if that exists ).
But (open or concealed) carrying a revolver or pistol on the street to me is over the top.

OkieStubble

No, for the chance one might get killed. I have no idea about the crime situation in your country but here in the USA it's pretty bad and in some areas of this country the politicians don't give a Damm and they handcuff the police, that's why I carry.

Please don't get our "what was your carry today" thread locked, because you brought up politics! You are not a regular in this sub forum. We don't talk or argue politics here.

:)

OkieStubble

Well now you're talking home defence which is a different matter. Like I said I feel I should be allowed to protect my home. Inside the house that. If someone breaks in to my house at night without my permission a shotgun at hand would be great.

So your life and the lives of your loved ones, are only important to you inside of your home?

Maybe even with non-lethal ammo( don't know if that exists ).

It doesn't exist.

But (open or concealed) carrying a revolver or pistol on the street to me is over the top.

So, if you are on the street, and several thugs walk up, to rob, rape or kill you and yours, protecting them with a pistol you have, if the police aren't there is over the top?

Please explain this logic?

So your life and the lives of your loved ones, are only important to you inside of your home?

It doesn't exist.

So, if you are on the street, and several thugs walk up, to rob, rape or kill you and yours, protecting them with a pistol you have, if the police aren't there is over the top?

Please explain this logic?
We do have an increasing number of home invasions.As a matter of fact that number has risen big time over the last 10 years.Scary as hell.
But being mugged on the street isn't a big issue over here.( yet?)
So on the street I must say it's pretty safe.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Now, ask me how many countless times I have responded to a violent encounter, as I'm sure you have also, where the victim has already been brutally injured or killed and the suspect /s were already gone?

Yup, more often than not they are already gone. Most times cops are reactionary and not preventive.

1-Adam-12. 1-Adam-12. A 211 in progress. 1-Adam 12 handle Code 3.

S&W model 581.
proxy.php

OkieStubble

We do have an increasing number of home invasions.As a matter of fact that number has risen big time over the last 10 years.Scary as hell.

It definitely has. Statistics show, crime in the Netherlands has increased dramatically since 2010. Just this year, statistics, show over a 40% increase.

Googling the Netherlands, shows me, that you are on top of; and are also very aware, on the different changes and statistics on crime in your country. Good job paying attention to what's going on in your home country @street.

But being mugged on the street isn't a big issue over here.( yet?)
So on the street I must say it's pretty safe.

Here is where I can see, it really is, just a difference in culture's and preceptions and let's say; "philosophies" between many European countries cultures and American culture and belief systems when it comes to the "rights of protection of self".

Being mugged on the street, isn't a big issue here either, in many places my friend. But even in Europe,really small, Dutch countries, social and diversity dynamics like a Holland or the Netherlands, 'so far' can't be compared to the US or even the UK, when it comes, to crime and a host of many other things. (yet?) :)

Let's keep the comparisons between the US and Holland in perspective. Your country is the same size of our state of Maryland. Maryland, is one of the "smallest states" in the US.

In the year 2019, there was 542 murders in Maryland. There were only 125 murders in the Netherlands. However, in 2019, there was a 15% decrease in violent crime in Maryland, while the Netherlands has experienced a 40% increase in violent crimes.

And the city of Baltimore Maryland, is one of the highest crime cities per capita, in the US coming in second to only Chicago.

These are just a few stats, that show the complexity and diversity between the vast and enormous differences of large populated nations, like a US, UK or even Africa, versus, small countries, that don't have much social dynamic when it comes to diversity and politics.

Nations such as the Netherlands, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, etc, have always had the reputation and sterotypes of being, "quaint, little countries." But they are changing @street and they are changing fast. Statistically speaking anyway.

Now that we have some statistical analysis out of the way, let's speak on culture diversity and social dynamics between our two countries that give each of us the different perspectives on the different ways we desire of protecting ourselves.

I don't believe our desire to self protection is anymore or different than yours. But again, we both have to look back at our countries different histories to find some clues. while this can be difficult to explain or project in our posts without delving into the forbidden rules of B&B on speaking of politics, we can at least give it a shot?

American history is as dynamic and diverse as it's culture, whereas, Holland's? isn't that diverse. The Netherlands and Dutch culture, goes back centuries of being dominately the Dutch and German race. Whereas America, was colonized from the British Empire, where the American Indian was the Indigenous population.

And not wanting to go into the complicated and complex debates of the dispositions of the american indian, slavery, the civil war, or even the history, of america being a melting pot with a history of immigrants from all over the world, making us up to be what we are today.

American culture and independence with the God given rights there in; and the attitudes and belief of self protection, was forged from the people who populated the colonies, or explored and populated the new American west at that time. Firearms and self protection have and has, always been deeply engrained into American culture and it's people.

You know more about Netherland history than I do. And you know more about it's culture and ways of thinking about your own protection of self and the self reliance of it's people. But times are changing over there, just like they are over here.

I think your visit to our firearms forum, even if it's just out of curiosity, could be a sign of the times?

There is a saying, "While we always hope for the best, we should always be prepared for the worst." Agreed? :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom