What's new

What was the first handgun you owned?

A FIE reproduction .36 Colt Navy in about 1975. Back then they were relatively crude and accouterments (such as proper fitting round balls) were sparse if they could be found at all. Ended up trying to load 00 buckshot cut from 12 gauge shotgun shells instead of proper .375" round balls. Needless to say the loss of power from gas blow-by due to the undersized .33 caliber lead balls coupled with routine chain fires made the pistol quite a challenge.

Two years later I would "upgrade" to a Lyman reproduction 1858 Remington I mail ordered through a Gander Mountain catalog. I was able to find the correct .451" round balls for it locally, and having good bullets plus the additional powder capacity of the .44 made it a powerhouse!

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
New Roll Mark Colt 1991A1, bought in '04, I think. Me and a friend had been at Gander Mt. looking at a Walther P99 (we're both big James Bond fans), and I decided to go back a couple days later and get it. It was gone. The Colt was the only thing in my price range that appealed to me, so I got that. That afternoon, I go to the police department to get it registered, and who's there? My friend, registering his new P99. A couple of years later, he got hard up for money, and I ended up with that one too.

My first gun:

-Marlin M60 .22lr rifle (still have it)

My first revolver and handgun:

-Taurus 82. Stupidly sold it. When I started I didn't think I'd have many guns. I really wanted a .357mag but when I got a great deal on a used Taurus 82, I went with the .38spl with the idea I'd replace it before too long. So, when I got my S&W 65LS (still have it) I saw no reason to keep the 82. I still kick myself for selling my first gun and not realizing I'd end up with quite a few more than the 2-4 guns I originally had in mind. I also kick myself for not buying 2 or 3 more S&W 65LS when 1) they could still be bought new (love 3" K-frames), 2) with no lock, 3) in the neighborhood of $450.

My first semi:
-Ruger KP89. I sold it when I bought my first 1911. I don't miss it (it was very inaccurate).

My first baby was a used Springfield Champion 1911 from a local outdoor shops consignment section. Not the newer "Champion Operator", I'm talking about the one with the old school spur hammer. It's still one of my favorite guns I own heavy as it may be.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My first baby was a used Springfield Champion 1911 from a local outdoor shops consignment section. Not the newer "Champion Operator", I'm talking about the one with the old school spur hammer. It's still one of my favorite guns I own heavy as it may be.

Love the Springfield Champion. Wish I had one.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I bought a S&W SD9VE a couple years ago. First handgun I bought. Big hunk of a gun but will feed any ammo I give it.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
proxy.php

My first handgun was (is!) a S&W Model 59, but at the time, I also had a Kawasaki 1000 that just wasn't fast enough out of the crate, so I sold the 59 to a friend's dad to fund upgrades on the 1000. Last year, totally out of the blue, that friend looks me up on Facebook and after catching up on things, asks me if I'd like to buy the Model 59 back ... long story short, a few decades later & she's now back home. It goes without saying, but my pal & his dad sure took great care of the S&W.

That's awesome you were able to buy it back. :thumbup1: I've never been able to bring myself to parting with a gun, even though I've got some dogs I've regretted purchasing.

My first handgun was also the first gun I ever shot, an S&W K22 with custom walnut grips. It was my grandfather's, and became mine when I became of age. It purportedly originally belonged to Pernell Roberts of Bonanza fame. Given that my grandfather lived in North Hollywood, it's certainly plausible.

A Para Ordnance Para Carry 6.45 with the LDA trigger. Finest 1911 DA ever made, but pulled my pants down like I was smuggling boat anchors. It now rests in my wife's nightstand, which is why I'm always on my best behavior around the house :2guns:

Top Bottom