What's new

What was talcum used for?

I don't understand the purpose of talcum powder. I've never seen it sold except perhaps at Sally's Beauty Supply . But apparrently it used to be sold alot in men's toiletry gift sets, so it must have been used for something.

Down here in Florida we do use Gold Bond or Anti-Monkey Butt to deal with excess humidity and skin chafing due to clothing in the hot summer, but something tells me that's not what talcum was used for.

I think the asbestos has probably cut down on its use a lot lately. I think you've got it figured out though. It reduces chafing and absorbs moisture. Gold Bond was always controversial in my circle of friends though. Some thought it burned, some thought it was like a breath mint for your...well, you know.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Barbers use talcum to absorb excess moisture from the neck so that the hairs will brush off. Otherwise they might stick due to the moisture.

I don't understand the purpose of talcum powder. I've never seen it sold except perhaps at Sally's Beauty Supply . But apparrently it used to be sold alot in men's toiletry gift sets, so it must have been used for something.

Down here in Florida we do use Gold Bond or Anti-Monkey Butt to deal with excess humidity and skin chafing due to clothing in the hot summer, but something tells me that's not what talcum was used for.

Sir FireDragon, indeed, that is exactly what talcum was used for. Drying skin and reducing chafing.

Also, earlier, as an "aftershave" talc, with tint, to make the face look flat and smooth.
Latter use, no longer in vogue.

palmolive sotd aug 16 2013.jpg

When I was a kid, barbers in my home town applied Clubman talc to the back of my shaved neck to reduce chafing and make me feel and smell like I just had a haircut! :a29:

Barbers use talcum to absorb excess moisture from the neck so that the hairs will brush off. Otherwise they might stick due to the moisture.

That makes sense, since alot of haircuts I've had have involved some spraying of water or some kind of hair tonic.

When I was a kid, barbers in my home town applied Clubman talc to the back of my shaved neck to reduce chafing and make me feel and smell like I just had a haircut! :a29:
Same here. This is why I dust myself with Clubman powder after shaving each morning. I feel like I just left the barbershop. I hope it helps keep the shine off my dome, but I am not sure how effective that is.

I think the asbestos has probably cut down on its use a lot lately. I think you've got it figured out though. It reduces chafing and absorbs moisture. Gold Bond was always controversial in my circle of friends though. Some thought it burned, some thought it was like a breath mint for your...well, you know.
They removed the asbestos from it years ago. I use a talc preshave stick before I use my electric shaver.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Side note... Most of the powders nowdays are actually cornstarch based due to some lawsuits claiming talc is unhealthy.

I'm a big fan of the pinaud clubman and their whiskey woods powders

I use Chassis powder. It doesn't have talc in it and I like how it makes me feel fresh. I used to be a Gold Bond guy, but it started to irritate my skin with repeated use so I stopped using it. I have read that talc powder was also used as deodorant and to stop cuts.

We use talcum powder after the shave, facial massage, and aftershave (astringent) lotion to eliminate the shiny skin tone to the face.

I don't understand the purpose of talcum powder...
Way, way back in the olden days, air conditioning was not so common as today. A lot of men wore their shirt collars buttoned up. Talcum powder was a way to feel fresher. It also was used to soothe irritated skin, such as after shaving. Talcum powder reduced friction between shirt collar and the neck. It made the skin appear smoother, and hid blemishes.

The concern about asbestos occurred because talc is mined in locations that sometimes contained asbestos, so the asbestos contaminated some brands of talcum powder in small concentrations. It is possible to get talc without any worry about asbestos, but companies are wary of customer perceptions so nowadays it is mostly corn starch that is used.

That’s exactly what it’s used for. I live in S.Illinois and it gets pretty humid here. On days
like that, I wear plain alcohol splashes (mostly Clubman products) and after I apply the a/s
I put some talc on my face and neck, and since it’s Clubman talc it goes with my a/s.
Perfect for the situation.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Mostly, it prevents your collar from irritating the back of your neck and making ingrowns back there, but it also helps make brushing away the cut hairs easier. It is soothing, drying, prevents chafe. Also, an expected part of the ritual.

Top Bottom