What's new

What to put on leather case

I have this leather case from a 1920 old type that is cracking where it hinges when its opened and closed, any suggestions on a leather dressing or preserving the case

I use a liquid available from saddlers called "Neatsfoot" it's used for saddles etc., I use it on my German Picklehaube (a leather helmet for anyone who doesn't know...) and the liner of my M42 luftwaffe helmet, so considering their around 100 years old and 65 years old, it keeps them nice and supple.

:D Tom

What would you use on the velvet liner?

I have an Aristocrat that came in a cruddy old case. Despite being caked in soap scum and some kind of greenish goo, the razor itself cleaned up nicely with a soak in Simple Green.

But I'm stumped on how to clean the case. It has a velvet interior, and a faux-leather exterior.

Try this.

I use it on my wading shoes, (used for fishing) and the stuff works great! Just rub it in with your hand. I've tried most other stuff but this stuff really softens hard dry leather, penetrates better than mink oil and isn't oily like neatsfoot.

The other stuff that is great is Pecard Antique Leather Dressing. I can HIGHLY recommend it!

For the leather, I'd go with a product I use on (and recommended by) Milt Sparks custom holsters. It's called Renaissance Wax, and is used by museums to protect and preserve many antiquities and works of art.

I should qualify, I'm no leather expert. If the cracking has already started, I'd be a little concerned that a product like mink oil, Neatsfoot oil etc. that moistens the leather may further weaken the fibers. Saddle soap should be good for cleaning, but I'd probably keep that to a minimum too.

I have a similar case in I think worse shape from 1909, I'll be trying a thing or two on it in the near future, if you want to wait a week or so, I'll let you know the results. I'm not as concerned about mine, as it's already missing the snap flap, and is quite dirty. So I may go a bit more extreme to see what it will handle (I have another case I bought that will be a suitable replacement if this one goes further South).

proxy.php

Last edited:
Renaissance wax, while a great product will not feed leather, it will enhance the shine etc., but if the leather is already this dry it needs to be fed to become supple again before applying renaissance to it. You can Neatsfoot then apply the wax over the top, which would also work with any razors people want to keep in mint condition, we were using it on stuff 400-500 years old when I was with the NT.

ATB,
Tom

Top Bottom