What's new

What to buy, WHAT TO BUY?!?!

H

Honour

Hi there, I've had some standard Wilkinson Sword safety razor (which has a head like the Merkur Futur) for about a year - before that I was using rubbish like Mach3.

Just on a side note - I recently bought a Schick Quattro Titanium Trimmer/Wilkinsons Sword Quattro Titanium Trimmer because it looked convenient, and the blades dont even reach my skin.... what a Joke..

Back onto topic now....
I was going to buy a C33 Merkur Futur because the "gutter" for the hair is huge and a tiny amount of water gets rid of it all (I'm in need of that). The settings are great and VERY variable but it is quite rigid to turn.. apart from grip (which is okay) and ease of changing the setting the Futur seems totally perfect (and not too pricey). However I've been looking around the BB forums but there is absolutely no mention (ever) of the drain/gutter size - Once it's clogged it takes effort to empty, and thats unnecessary stress.

So addressing Price, proneness to blockage, grip & adjustability - what would you recommend me?

Note: I'm looking for a long-term shaver, atleast a 5 year investment I would hope, considering the prices...

A quick rinse under the faucet or a quick swish in a sink full of water should be enough to clean the lather/whiskers out of a razor. Any razor is going to require this step. Not stress inducing at all. Go for the Futur. It, along with any good razor, will last considerably longer than 5 years. I regularly shave with razors that are 50-70 years old.

Quality shavers, like guns, will outlive us all if reasonable care is applied. I suggest picking up a used gillette superspeed in the B/S/T thread or they can be had for < 15$ on the 'bay. As long as you don't overspend, you can always sell it pretty easily here for what you paid for it, vintage gillette shavers have a well-deserved loyal following.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Quality shavers, like guns, will outlive us all if reasonable care is applied. I suggest picking up a used gillette superspeed in the B/S/T thread or they can be had for < 15$ on the 'bay. As long as you don't overspend, you can always sell it pretty easily here for what you paid for it, vintage gillette shavers have a well-deserved loyal following.

+1

Well said

A vintage gillette will always be a good buy, just think how old some of these razors are and how many are about, having said that i have 2 mekurs which are now 5/4 years old and look great and perform great and i dont think there will be any need to replace these 2 in my lifetime.

Top Bottom