What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

I really wasn´t planning to use this Puma 69 (half hollow) today, but it was so tempting. When reading German forums I often imagine that I can trace a pattern: There´s straight razors and then there´s Solingen razors and finally there´s vintage Puma razors. It might be me imagining, but I also se the a pattern in pricing, and there´s some sellers that sell vintage Puma razors under a separate section and for higher prices.

Anyhow I´m very happy to own this 69, I looked for one very much everywhere for more than a year before I found one that was both affordable and in good condition. I have a thing for thumb notch razors.

View attachment 561928

Nice Puma Arne. All the way from Australia and with your favoured "sinister" look. Are the razors labelled "Pumaster Steel" (rather than "Best Puma-Steel") the more expensive vintage models? I've been wondering if the Pumaster steel is the same, better or just different?

Cheers, George

J.A. Hellberg 5/8 between 1/4 and 1/2 hollow.
I took this out of the long time storage. I often give my razors nick names, childish but fun. This one hadn´t got one, but now it has since a much respected member, some time ago, suggested that the etching "skydds-märke"="protection marking" perhaps could have an alternative translation..
So gentlemen this morning I shaved with "Hellberg´s skid mark" and I enjoyed it.:straight:

$2015-04-07 19.50.06.jpg

Last edited:
While I´m at it, I got a question about the etching hanging in the background of my pictures. It´s Viking ships at sea. Since they´ve got their dragon heads on they are not out on a trading mission but to spread the more infamous kind of Norse hospitality. It´s made by Gerhard Albe (1892-1965). A Swedish artist and maritime expert. He studied in Copenhagen, Stockholm, France, England and Germany. He mostly did maritime paintings with focus on historical motives connected to the Swedish Royal Navy. Albe also worked as a historical maritime expert and as such he was co-founder of the Swedish Maritime Museum. An institution he headed until his death.

I haven´t thought about It. It just happened to hang were I take pictures of my razors. Perhaps I should replace it with something more cheerful. I´ve got a nice one with a hedgehog.
$2015-04-09 06.09.42.jpg

Top Bottom