What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

15/16 to 8/8 three quarter hollow of unknown origin, suspected Sheffield. This one is a bit of a mystery, it's clearly been heavily modified by a previous owner but little used, and the identifying marks were ground off when the tang was reshaped. I'm still figuring out what it wants as far as honing, tried a nakayama edge on pure water, too harsh, nakayama on slurry, not a close enough shave, and for this occasion, an ark, which ended up somewhat tuggy. We'll get there eventually, I think I'll try the nakayama on a super thin slurry next.

Stirling unscented with beeswax, hot water for preshave, hot water for aftershave.

1675378598509.png

Unlike Wade & Butchers, we don't see many 19th century Henckels in the US. Are these razors common in Germany?
Unfortunately they are very rarely seen also in Germany. This was the first No.12 I remember seeing and I only found one picture of this razor (could very well be the same I have now) in a +10 year old post on a German forum.

Probably they all are well stored in the trays of some collectors and never shown in forum posts because everything below 8/8 is not cool enough nowadays

Fri 3 SR Comparison Shave
Razor 1 Dorko 43 Near Wedge
Razor 2 Titan ACRM-2 African Timber Scale
Today's shave was to compare one of my top SRs with a buttery smooth edge with this Titan after putting it through the LaLune & the full diamond balsa progression. Both were strop on the Kanayama. Dorko (easily passes the HHT) was on the left & Titan (absolutely failed TTT/HHT) was on the right. 3passes and Dorko did not fail...super nice and efficient but the surprise was the Titan...it did very well, and the edge was very comfortable and more efficient than the initial use. Overall, Dorko's result was bbs-ccs while Titan's was dfs-sas. Some red creeper and minor irritation on the left...hahaha. Delightful comparison...
20230203_111115.jpg

A needed clean-up after a week away...

The Razor ..
HartSteel...
I'm not one to give names to inanimate objects, but this one just seems right. I call the Hart "Purple Haze," in honor of Hendrix and the Kirinite scales it wears. I think what makes this razor so efficient is not it's size, 7/8, but it's heft in hand... being quite heavy. I think it's mass just mows down stubble.

The Brush ..
Simpsons Tulip 3
There is a story about everything... I like the shape of the Tulip design, but this one is just too big for my tastes. If it were not for the fact that it is in Two Band Super, it may have gone down the road...

The Soap ..
Phoenix & Beau Albion

The Finish ..
Pinaud's Clubman .. The ubiquitous barbershop scent..

proxy.php

Top Bottom