G. JOHNSON & CO. "dart & Pipe" Sheffield Razor 5/8" ,
lead wedge, 1880~1890.
Shave smooth and comfortable today.
20230201-1.jpg

20230201-2.jpg

20230201-3.jpg

Filarmonica
Fili.jpg

My honing skills have improved over the years using the limited number of tools at my disposal (Belgian Coticule, lapping film and diamond pasted balsa). With these few items I have been able to maintain an edge on my razors which is comfortable for me to shave with.

This razor is a recent acquisition. It arrived in decent condition, but it needed a good clean and polish, the pivot pin was loose and of course it was not shave ready.

I wanted a benchmark to judge my honing skills against, so I sent this razor off to Dion at DC Blades in Gladstone, Queensland.

I used it this morning for the first time since getting it back from Dion. After giving it fifty laps on Roo leather, it cut like a hot knife through butter. What a great shave!

My honing skills still have room for improvement. Looks like I am going to have to purchase some additional stones. Whoever said that wet shaving will save me money was joking!
:c1:

First shave with my Werner Breidenbach limited edition set (modified). I say modified, as this very nice blade came in with a yellow/green Thuringian stone, some camellia oil, a nice box with paperwork, and a VERY POOR set of horn scales. The scales were overly thick, mismatched and twisted. It only takes one lapse in quality to ruin the entire experience. The razor could not close without the edge grinding against the scale. The vendor was in Germany and I doubt he would have been able to help.

So off it went to the good doctor (@Doc226) for some new kirinite scales. And I also had Alfredo hone it for me. The first shave was smooth and close, as expected.

PXL_20230201_201410347.jpg

So I recently acquired this refinished razor. Unknown provenance. The seller thought it was a 1820 French razor. I haven’t been able to find any photos of a French razor of this era.

More to the point, the edge seemed pretty decent. After stropping it was minimally treetopping. So this morning I tried shaving with it. It worked, sort of. Not up to my expectations so will put it back in the “to be honed” queue.
54DD17BF-A770-4D6E-B19A-7620BB02922B.jpeg

Wed 1st - Titan, Soap & Cream from @rbscebu with thanks
Razor Titan ACRM-2 Madagascan Mahogany Timber Scales
Face wash with the Pears soap...nice! The shave cream is good. Pleasant light scent and a creamy slick lather...nice!!!
This is a razor exchange with the kind generosity from @rbscebu all the way from Australia. Fortunately, my relatives from Sydney came for a visit so shipping was easy. This razor has a coticule's edge. Although it was comfortable it was not sharp enough for my tough whiskers...Managed a sas result in 3 passes...
20230201_115752.jpg

Thu 2nd - Titan, Soap & Soap Stick from @rbscebu with thanks!
Razor Titan ACRM-2 with African Timber Scale
The soap is acceptable with a pleasant light scent & lather...the Palmolive is way better...
This is the 2nd razor exchange from @rbscebu all the way from Australia. This razor has an Adaee's edge which is smoother, more comfortable, and a crispier sharpness compared to yesterday's coticule edge. Managed a ccs-sas finish in 3 passes...
20230202_090035.jpg

Wed 1st - Titan, Soap & Cream from @rbscebu with thanks
Razor Titan ACRM-2 Madagascan Mahogany Timber Scales
Face wash with the Pears soap...nice! The shave cream is good. Pleasant light scent and a creamy slick lather...nice!!!
This is a razor exchange with the kind generosity from @rbscebu all the way from Australia. Fortunately, my relatives from Sydney came for a visit so shipping was easy. This razor has a coticule's edge. Although it was comfortable it was not sharp enough for my tough whiskers...Managed a sas result in 3 passes...
View attachment 1598681
Thu 2nd - Titan, Soap & Soap Stick from @rbscebu with thanks!
Razor Titan ACRM-2 with African Timber Scale
The soap is acceptable with a pleasant light scent & lather...the Palmolive is way better...
This is the 2nd razor exchange from @rbscebu all the way from Australia. This razor has an Adaee's edge which is smoother, more comfortable, and a crispier sharpness compared to yesterday's coticule edge. Managed a ccs-sas finish in 3 passes...
View attachment 1598690
I’m a big fan of Palmolive. Top shelf cream
for a bargain price.

I used to have the same opinion on Coticule edges. Lately I’ve warmed to them. I think they benefit from a slight slicing motion to the shave stroke. All edges work better like this but it is less critical for sharper edges.

I’m a big fan of Palmolive. Top shelf cream
for a bargain price.

I used to have the same opinion on Coticule edges. Lately I’ve warmed to them. I think they benefit from a slight slicing motion to the shave stroke. All edges work better like this but it is less critical for sharper edges.
Thanks for your tips. I will try the slight slicing motion...is it similar to the Gillette Slide? I bleed slightly when I tried that...😅

Top Bottom