What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Kama
Mitchell’s Woolfat
Semogue Brush
Nivea
9445B5B7-ACD8-4638-B808-2AA7733EB96A.jpeg

Maiden Voyage for the Dorko..

No church tomorrow... Still battling the cold/flu virus..

The Razor ..
Dorko #43 Premier. Needless to say, I was looking forward to this shave with much anticipation. The Near Wedge silently cleared away my stubble.. The edge was "as supplied" by Ryan at Shave Armory, off his Nakayama Maruka.. very keen, and I used a light touch, as the HHT was quite vivid. Those who know me know that I like heavy grinds, and I'm very happy with the Dorko!

Ryan's Nakayama Maruka .. A very pretty JNat!

proxy.php

The Brush ..
Vlad Ferdman/Frank Shaving Manchurian Silvertip.. The Gaslamp

The Soap
Wickham's 1912 Cashmere .. Great performer.. great scent!

The Finish ..
Vintage Old Spice. Recently found this after having forgotten it.. Happy to have it at my disposal again..

proxy.php

Here is the reason my Wacker 7 day black set was whacked down in price (the MSRP when fresh and perfect from Solingen is above my paygrade).

It is a bit hard to read 'Saturday', after I tried to eliminate the easily seen corrosion on the spine.

The upside (besides that hefty discount) - I used only this razor from the set long enough to perfect the edge with balsa/diamond maintenance. 'Sunday' through 'Friday', while legible, are still catching up on edge perfection.
E937BC84-901A-413A-9A9F-27954E5A2831.jpeg

200k balsa, then Llama 30000 strop.

The SOC boar is still hungry to devour lather, even Tabac.

My rhodium plated New Short Comb went sideways on the neck. I'm not spoiled and looking for the ultimate finish, I just miss my pretty safety razors.

Lucky Tiger for a delightful, evanescent scent.
4D121DDF-7151-4176-92B0-F968F36B97C0.jpeg

Counting the days...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@aussie has been dabbling in SR shaving for a while now. He has been SR shaving with outside honed blades and is now setting himself up to hone his own.

While communicating with him, I offered to lend him one of my diamond pasted balsa finished SRs to try, an offer that he gratefully accepted and will faithfully apply. The SR I will be lending him is a T.R. Cadman & Sons ¾ "Bengall", Dutch (round) point, full hollow still dressed in its original scales. Lending this SR is within my means as it is excess to my current needs. It was manufactured in the early 1900s, pre 1924.

This morning I shaved with this "Bengall" to ensure that the the edge was up to my standard.

IMG_20220703_080027.jpg

IMG_20220703_092126.jpg
All went well except that there was the faintest of tugging when performing my coups de maître on the upper lip. I will put the edge through another light full balsa strop progression. That should get it up to my acceptable standard and I will post it off to him tomorrow.

One of the scales has a broken tip at the pivot end. I have a set of Bengall replacement scales (from the 1940s) and will consider replacing the broken scales when this SR is returned.

@aussie has been dabbling in SR shaving for a while now. He has been SR shaving with outside honed blades and is now setting himself up to hone his own.

While communicating with him, I offered to lend him one of my diamond pasted balsa finished SRs to try, an offer that he gratefully accepted and will faithfully apply. The SR I will be lending him is a T.R. Cadman & Sons ¾ "Bengall", Dutch (round) point, full hollow still dressed in its original scales. Lending this SR is within my means as it is excess to my current needs. It was manufactured in the early 1900s, pre 1924.

This morning I shaved with this "Bengall" to ensure that the the edge was up to my standard.

All went well except that there was the faintest of tugging when performing my coups de maître on the upper lip. I will put the edge through another light full balsa strop progression. That should get it up to my acceptable standard and I will post it off to him tomorrow.

One of the scales has a broken tip at the pivot end. I have a set of Bengall replacement scales (from the 1940s) and will consider replacing the broken scales when this SR is returned.
Thank you so very kindly brother. I have two such razors, one with original scales, and the other with no scales.

One of my faults is that I procrastinate too much, and this is the case with learning to hone. I have a few razors en route to me apart from this one. Some will need honing, as will some others in my collection.

As much as I like the convenience of my shavettes, they can never beat a traditional SR for comfort.

I look forward to repaying your kindness as per the SE charge. I have a stack of razors and blades that I am unlikely to ever use, so in the spirit of charity you can expect some PIFs from me in the not too distant future.

Here is the reason my Wacker 7 day black set was whacked down in price (the MSRP when fresh and perfect from Solingen is above my paygrade).

It is a bit hard to read 'Saturday', after I tried to eliminate the easily seen corrosion on the spine.

The upside (besides that hefty discount) - I used only this razor from the set long enough to perfect the edge with balsa/diamond maintenance. 'Sunday' through 'Friday', while legible, are still catching up on edge perfection.
View attachment 1481981
200k balsa, then Llama 30000 strop.

The SOC boar is still hungry to devour lather, even Tabac.

My rhodium plated New Short Comb went sideways on the neck. I'm not spoiled and looking for the ultimate finish, I just miss my pretty safety razors.

Lucky Tiger for a delightful, evanescent scent.
View attachment 1481980
Counting the days...
I see in your first photo that your razor is positioned next to what appears to be a 24 inch gauge.

Am I to understand that you are a worker in stone? ;)

Razor Friedr Herder Abr. Sohn 77
Somehow...just 1 minor change and the past few SR shaves are just getting better. Today is the best so far. Many thanks to all for the tips and advice in various SR threads & posts. This razor's edge feels really sweet...buttery smooth in 3passes for a mixed bbs/dfs & ccs/sas finish. It's definitely my technique to be improved.
20220703_102332.jpg

Saturday, July 2nd 2022

As we wanted to pay a visit to our daughter and granddaughter, I needed a real BBS.
  • Preshave: Warm shower, Hipp Baby-Oil, hot water and Proraso green PS
  • Straight: Haryali 5/8" round top, after 15 rounds on a leather puller strap, three passes (WTG-XTG-ATG) and cleaning out
  • Shaving cream D.R. Harris Twenty Nine SC
  • Brush: Haryali Badger from a beginners set
  • Bowl: Mühle porcelain
  • AS: D.R. Harris Windsor AS
  • ASB: Nivea Men Sensitive cool ASB
  • Frag: TOBS Sandalwood EdT.
The Haryali straight razor came completely dull with a beginners set, which had been given to me as a birthday present from our youngest son earlier this year.
First I used it to train stropping, as a reasonable shave was not possible.
Last week I got a very nice grinding stone finisher and I decided to do some 100 rounds on it with the blunt razor, followed by 100 rounds on both sides of a new strope with an abrazive and a fine surface. In the end, the HHT was successful!
The following test-shave with that not very beautiful straight razor was surprisingly close and very comfortable. My first SR honed by myself!
Full BBS, nice skin feeling and no more whiskers to feel: 10,0/10.

IMG_0288.jpg

Top Bottom