What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Hi gents. I just realized this 7/8 TI is 100 years old. A special edition for the Algiers Universal Exhibition back to April 1921.
It will shave for another 100 years or more.
Cheers.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
None of the modern Mikawa are rare, you can buy them off eBay at any time. Sakimoto san (the Asano fellow) sells all of them in various sizes on Yahoo Japan all the time, though you might have to wait a week or two for the size and type that you want. I think that he sells on western eBay too based on the image backgrounds. I suppose that you could email him. The vintage koma is also available fairly frequently, it tends to be less hard and a little less fine in general, but easier to use than some of the modern hard koma.

05F4D8C0-071A-43B0-9634-E8C32CCE756F.jpeg

Another first shave (for me)
George Brittain 13/16 near wedge
Colonel Conk Amber soap
Muhle pure badger

George Brittain was an established cutler in Sheffield in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. He died in 1812, but his firm continued to use the GB mark for some time. The combo of flat tang and regular sized tail make me think that this is somewhere in the 1830-1850 time frame, but no proof of that.

For the honing I set the bevel during the initial session, but I could only cut a cherry tomato with a slicing motion, not a push cut. So I went back the next day and gave it another 5 minutes on the 2k, at which point it would push cut. Then quickly moved through the rest of the progression. Shaved the same day - results felt quite sharp, so likely would benefit from a little mellowing with the 0.1u pasted balsa.

3rd day with the Colonel, this morning I melted the puck so that filled the tub properly. That eliminated yesterday’s issue where the puck was spinning while I tried to load the brush.

55AB910F-B341-4E04-904E-45843302F9EE.jpeg

Today was a test shave with this new razor. The razor is sharp - silent HHT 5 out of the box after a few laps on shell cordovan. So I was not going to jump in feet first! I decided to only detail the cheek line of my beard today. I used shave oil so that I was able to see the line I wanted to create. I worked initially with just the omote side, as prescribed. It took a while for me to find the angle and then it just wiped the beard away. Certain areas I had to shave with the uru side. Surprisingly, I found that to be very comfortable and a bit smoother. My cheek line has some bumps and a mole and I was pleased that I could negotiate them. I will work on the neck line tomorrow and that should be easier. All in all, the first try was very good, although this blade can be a bit intimidating.

IMG_3997_73f0270f-922e-4eaf-b125-131012df3f54.jpg

Helje MK 4. Went 2 weeks or so without shaving (A busy month for me) so it was nice to get a shave in. Wanted to see how the ol coticule edge would handle (I usually just use for daily shaving). First pass was actually amazing (I knew the other passes would be fine) and the 5x2 stone surprises me again. I have tried this coti before on 7 days growth and it was fine, but usually the razor was touched up. The fresh bevel made a nice difference on the first pass. Cheers

Tonight I grabbed the best-looking Red Imp in my stable. Yeah, yeah... the only one! Which would also make it the sharpest. Which clearly isn't saying much, given that I was reduced to making the second pass with the birth quarter Super Speed. My unicot edge just wasn't cutting it.

I think I'll try just hitting diamond sprayed strops before I take it back to the stones.

20210718_220115.jpg

Top Bottom