What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

All-American night here.
Torrey Our 136 in local slate scales,
Rubberset 400 with Elite Manchurian and Stirling D-503 soap,
Gem Clog Pruf and Schick Hydro-magic injector.

20210601_210625.jpg

Today: Testing, testing... I thought I was edge testing, but I was testing my focus and... flunking.
>the fancy scaled Torrey (with the $12 Torrey in the backup position)
>no strop (duh, realized when I looked for it to do my end-of-shave edge drying laps)
>BOSC Special Reserve CLW croap
>Ever-Ready banded boar (my favorite vintage shedder)
>alum, Richard's Rub, Florida Limeade (very hot here)
39847DF4-6B97-455C-B2E9-D7199D9E9B4D.jpeg

So the Torrey edge was a bit uncomfortable. I blamed the razor until I realized that, after a full pasted balsa progression, I then forgot linen and leather. I had already decided which grit I would choose to start re-honing when the light came on.

Last edited:
Cross Super No.1000 Super Doll - super shave!
View attachment 1267175
Shave log says I cleaned up the neck maelstrom with the Schick C1's toothy grin :001_302: last time the Super Doll came calling. Must be a match made in heaven. Hey, doll face! :a0:
The brass-handle brush, the SR, the open comb...that is some funky gear. Lusting over the Super Doll which I assume is ... Japanese?

Another @Steve56 inspired shave today. This guy doesn’t mess around. His posts have put me onto some really great products. I was even considering using Cointreau as an aftershave splash for a while but couldn’t quite bring myself to it.

Heljestrand MK31
Santa Maria Novella
Antica Barbieria Colla Tobacco Verde
Simpson Duke 3 SiLVERTiP

602E6888-4693-419D-9E9A-B24BD9A0F50B.jpeg

Renault?? 7/8 wedge
Semogue 1250
A&E Peach & Cognac

My nickname for this is “the French beast”. Sans scales the blade weighs 57g (for comparison my 7/8 W&B wedge is only 45g). With the exception of a cracked Rodgers that will likely never shave again, this has been been my longest project. I bought this blade sans scales, thinking I would put it into some nice heavy horn scales that I had just made. But like many older French blades it is too long for the standard 4.6” spread between holes that you usually find on scales. Then I bought another big old French blade, a tailless Lecollier a Nogent. That came with scales that were likely not original and were actually a hair too small for that blade (The toe was hitting the wedge). But the scales were long enough for the Renault. So I removed the scales, sanded them down to remove some scars (some of which I inflicted during the depinning operation) and transferred them over. I had to sand off the old wedge, which was hacked up from trying to make the blade fit and also too narrow for the Renault (the Lecollier is also a wedge, but only a 6/8 so not as bulky). So I made a new wedge from bleached bone. The actual honing went pretty well. I had to use rolling Xs to deal with the smile, but the blade was straight and honed up quickly. Easily the best-looking bevel I have put on a wedge razor to date.

The stamping on the razor is not too clear. As best I can make out there are 2 stampings. “Renault” in cursive near the pivot hole. Also
MICHAUD
175 RUE ST-CATHERINE
A BORDEAUX
with a Club icon further down the tang near the blade. (this is partly a guess, some of the letters are completely gone). Per Wikipedia Rue Sainte-Catherine is the major shopping street in Bordeaux, so another guess is that Renault is the manufacturer and Michaud is the name of the store that sold the razor. Again just a guess, if this were a Sheffield I would guess the address to be the factory. But there is the issue that there seem to be 2 names on the razor. And perhaps a coincidence 175 Rue St-Catherine in Montreal is a large old building that is currently a center for performing arts (ironically there is now a ”Waffles A Bordeaux” shop at that address). And I did obtain this razor from a man who currently lives near Montreal. So which Rue St-Catherine is it? Probably will never know! :)

Anyway the shave went pretty well. I’ve had closer shaves, but I will say that after 3 passes there was not a drop of irritation, and no blood was spilled. The weight makes the razor very stable and with both top and bottom jimps it is easy to hold.
911729D0-948A-4142-A956-A812C8C0044F.jpeg
D17675CC-1103-4D83-9070-0CDA10CD9775.jpeg

Another @Steve56 inspired shave today. This guy doesn’t mess around. His posts have put me onto some really great products.
No doubt. Just completed first shave with this Omega (an example of which I have seen in the aforementioned enbabler's posts — a Perfectworks Silver Steel like that pretty shell razor above) and it was lovely. Legit shave-ready from Japan with a comfortable and sharp natural edge. Really happy with this razor.

0602.png

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Oh, the ABC balms can turn a little if you don’t use them in a couple of years - the Cointreau bottle was a travel bag item, but miniature liquor bottles take up less space in the bathroom and I can decant 25-50ml into them and keep the main bottle in the fridge.

They’re also the best balms available that I’ve tried, the only equal is the now discontinued I Coloniali Rhubarb balm. Which smelled like the soap and cream, guaiac wood and frankincense.

Top Bottom