What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Last 3 shaves have been all using my French Platypus. I'm testing grit progression of the same edge.

First off my 6k JIS king. (2micron μ) Shave felt ok, but wasn't smooth.

Then my 10k JIS (0.6micron μ) Sigma Power. Still feeling ok, much smoother, but still not quite there.

Then a 12k (<0.6 micron, exact &#956; unknown) JIS Naniwa SS. Smoother still. Borderline BBS, but the shave was pretty harsh. The edge likes to take little nibbles of the beard. If I try a full stroke (say from my neckline to my chin) without lifting the blade it gets very aggressive. Feels almost like it's taking a layer of skin with it. If I do 1 inch sweeps, lift and reposition and repeat, the problem is lessened. I'll probably do some more testing with this stone as a finisher still, but my next few shaves will have to be off a natural finisher while my neck gets a break.

Last edited:
WB 5/8th. This is one of 4 from a 7 day set that I honed identically up to 15K shapton pro, the rest of the set are smaller at 4/8-3/8th so I didn't hone those.
I'm going to treat these all differently with the new CBN sprays 1/4 and 1/8th micron vs .5micron diamond and .25 micron diamond.

Last night I used a 13/16 recently restored W&B smiling now 1/4-1/2 hollow after restoring. Honed it up with a coticule via the dilucot method and finished it on my most recent HAD addition - a Frankonian Hone from Olivia Seife.

I must say that I'm very impressed with the edge I got off the Frankonian. More experimenting will need to be done, but wow :w00t:

Tonight I'm honing up my most recent addition a CV Heljestrand MK32 in real Ivory I just bought. Thing has definitely never seen a hone in its life and the Ivory scales are pristine. Can't Wait!! :w00t:

Alfred J. Krank "Habby", 4/8. My Barber gave this to me. A lot of hone wear and dull, it hadn't been used in years. Honed it up and got a solid shave out of it. We're negotiating on a DD Satin Edge now, lol. It hasn't seen the light of day in years. DR Harris Lavender.

I've enjoyed using this razor. It's a cheap, replacement-blade razor but it's very comfortable to hold and use. I've been using split DE blades with great success. The overall thinness makes it very easy to maneuver.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom