What's new

What should I upgrade to

I've been shaving with my 38c for almost a year now and with Chrismas coming I've started thinking about getting something more aggressive. It's not that the 38c is a bad razor it's actually served me well, it's just that I've never been satisfied with how it performs on some stubborn patches on my neck where the hairs seem to lie flat. The best it seems to achieve lies between presentable and CCS. If I want to go for DFS it takes a lot more work which may or may not leave me with irritation.

I'd like something that could tackle these patches without necessitating me to going over them excessively leading to irritation. I was debating an adjustable vs an open comb a while back but I am unsure which would suit me best, any advice you guys have to offer would be much appreciated.

How about a Straight? If not you could try and shim the 38 and make it a bit more aggressive. It would be a free chance to find out before going with something else.

I'm thinking a more aggressive razor with a really smooth blade. Joris, Tradere OC, Progress, with Personna Reds or Timors, might be a nice combination. An adjustable probably would offer the most flexibility.

I've been shaving with my 38c for almost a year now and with Chrismas coming I've started thinking about getting something more aggressive. It's not that the 38c is a bad razor it's actually served me well, it's just that I've never been satisfied with how it performs on some stubborn patches on my neck where the hairs seem to lie flat. The best it seems to achieve lies between presentable and CCS. If I want to go for DFS it takes a lot more work which may or may not leave me with irritation.

I'd like something that could tackle these patches without necessitating me to going over them excessively leading to irritation. I was debating an adjustable vs an open comb a while back but I am unsure which would suit me best, any advice you guys have to offer would be much appreciated.
Slant 37c or 39c. Take your pick.

Futur, Slant, Joris, Titan H1, Mergress, Cobra...

I own all of those and more - they are all great razors. If forced to pick just one - it would be the Cobra Classic.

My vote will go to the Futur. I love bringing an adjustable on trips and it is a great shave too.

If you are considering an open comb, the Muhle R41 is nice. Yes, it is an aggressive razor that should be treated with a little respect. There is NO reason, what so ever, to fear the R41.

Slant or Progress would be a good upgrade. The neck is always a tricky area. Maybe a different technique in that area such as J hooking.

The new Cadet open comb razors are garnering much favorable publicity. One of these was enough to convince me of their desirability in the arsenal.

I shimmed my 38c and all I can say is WOW! I was a bit apprehensive so I kept the Gillette 7 o'clock yellow I've been using all week in there, it was on it's 5th shave I could have sworn it was only on it's 2nd or 3rd. 2 passes made short work of a day and a half's growth and left no need for touch up even in the trouble spots it's not BBS but I can't feel ans stubble rubbing with the grain in the trouble spots and I dont have any of the irritation so it's more than I can ask for.

I still want to get myself a high end razor and I'm pretty much sold on the Joris after what I've read about them and by looking at the classy aesthetics the hardest part is deciding which one I want the 13931 or 1312T

Top Bottom