What's new

What should I do about this chip?

Just got a cool faux frameback W&B chopper and there is a chip in the tip near the barber's notch. I figure I have 3 choices, I round it off, losing a wee bit of edge but getting the round tip barber's notch, flatten it off to a squarer tip, or leave it as is. It's 13/16-7/8 smiling.

This thing doesn't even look like it's been honed, no spine wear at all, and doesn't look like it's had a bevel before.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Any suggestions/methods? I'm a little leery of going at this with a dremel. It's the oldest and most interesting blade I've acquired thus far.

I'd just round it off on a hone. I wouldn't touch it with a Dremmel.

+1
if you are planning on keeping it, just soften it up so it's not sharp and wont cut you or your strop.

Slightly off topic but, John, what ever became of that thiers with the damaged tip you got from twoods?

I believe he shortied it, no?

So would a DMT600 handle this? Or would I need something courser, could bust out some wet/dry. Think I should try and round it right off to get the barber's notch back? Or just mute the corners some? But I am glad to hear that I don't need to dremel it. I've seen too many horror stories...

DMT 600 will do or even 320 grit wet dry, you don't need to remove too much metal, more work than it's worth if you don't care how it looks, just round it off so there are no sharp corners left.

Not sure about the shorting doesn't look like it to me, just looks like the corner chipped off.

I had a W&B recently with a chip exactly like that one on the same spot with the same barber's notch end as well. I just slightly rounded it and you would never even know the chip was there (don't ask how I rounded it though as it may bring heat and lots of your stupid remarks :tongue_sm (belt sander))

+1
if you are planning on keeping it, just soften it up so it's not sharp and wont cut you or your strop.

Slightly off topic but, John, what ever became of that thiers with the damaged tip you got from twoods?

It became a French Point. I've since polished all the scratches out.

proxy.php

A DMT 600 might take a while, so if you want to save some time, whip out the wet/dry about 240 or 320.

I had a W&B recently with a chip exactly like that one on the same spot with the same barber's notch end as well. I just slightly rounded it and you would never even know the chip was there (don't ask how I rounded it though as it may bring heat and lots of your stupid remarks :tongue_sm (belt sander))

You certainly got a pair:thumbup:

Not a big point. But, I prefer using a plain old rough whetstone, the kind you buy at Ace Hardware, for removing chips like this. I finish on DMTs. I think this saves significant wear on the DMTs. And, you can't wear out one of those rough grit whetstones used on axes and hoes.

So something like this? This is the direction I was leaning from the beginning. (this is just a photoshop mockup...)

Then it's settled, operation notch recovery is a go. Perhaps I should add a thumb notch as well while I'm at it, Seraphim would approve no doubt. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom