What's new

What shave stick did you use today?

And of course I am curious whatever that is a few posts before this that says something like "Jikoryen

IMG_6235.jpeg
Jikoryen

Think Arko, just less heavily scented.

Excellent soap

Still have a Palmolive stick
Wasn’t a big fan of the Palmolive stick. I do enjoy the red and green Palmolive creams though

And my stinky yet good Arko
Agree that it’s stinky but good. Never could get past the underlying skunkiness though

Because of previous posts I have decided to order and try the Speick Stick.
The tallow version is great as is the cream in the tube. Have the vegan version of the stick but haven’t tried it yet

And of course I am curious whatever that is a few posts before this that says something like "Jikoryen"
Jikoryen is my favorite Turkish stick that I’ve tried. I think the performance is slightly better than Arko. The scent is similar as well but I don’t detect any underlying skunk.

Edit: It’s possible that the Arko stick I had was on the older side and that could be why there was a slight skunky smell

Excellent soap

Wasn’t a big fan of the Palmolive stick. I do enjoy the red and green Palmolive creams though

Agree that it’s stinky but good. Never could get past the underlying skunkiness though

The tallow version is great as is the cream in the tube. Have the vegan version of the stick but haven’t tried it yet

Jikoryen is my favorite Turkish stick that I’ve tried. I think the performance is slightly better than Arko. The scent is similar as well but I don’t detect any underlying skunk.

Edit: It’s possible that the Arko stick I had was on the older side and that could be why there was a slight skunky smell
Thanks for the info! Even though we have skunks here in Alabama, I have been lucky enough to have never had to smell them. So I am not sure if Arko is skunky or not LOL. However , I am sure that it is a VERY strong smell, although I am willing to overlook that because it performs so well.

1000002657.jpg

I was hoping today's shave with the Palmolive wasn't as good as the one I had yesterday with La Toja, simply because once I'm done with this there will be no more.
But, it was yet another wonderful, slick and irritation-free shave.
Whoever thought I would be bothered by that LOL.
I am also starting to think that it is me now using the Henson that seems to be making the difference from when I tried these all before.
It seems to pair perfectly with these types of soaps and no matter what just glides effortlessly with them.
I'll have to try these with a different razor to see if that's part of it.
But I'm now starting to see that I will probably never use a shave cream ever again.

Thanks for the info! Even though we have skunks here in Alabama, I have been lucky enough to have never had to smell them. So I am not sure if Arko is skunky or not LOL. However , I am sure that it is a VERY strong smell, although I am willing to overlook that because it performs so well.
Yeah. That’s why I like the Jikoryen over Arko. Smells good and it performs very well

speick.jpg

As of this morning - I haven't tried a shave stick that I dislike.
ALSO tried with a different razor (Fatboy) as the Henson just seems to work with a lot of things.
I have no idea why the last 18 years I have primarily focused on using shave creams - with very mixed results.
Started trying different soaps and sticks recently and I'm wondering now what was keeping me from it all this time.
MUCH more consistent results with so far NO shave bumps or irritation.
I could only sometimes get that with creams.
Consider me a happy convert!

Some posts on Jikoryen over in a brush thread got me checking. It appears to be hard to find in the USA at the moment.
It seems that there’s only one vendor (that I’ve seen) selling it on eBay at the moment. They only seem to get about 10 12 packs in at a time and they go relatively fast. And they only sell them by the 12 pack

View attachment 1850596
As of this morning - I haven't tried a shave stick that I dislike.
ALSO tried with a different razor (Fatboy) as the Henson just seems to work with a lot of things.
I have no idea why the last 18 years I have primarily focused on using shave creams - with very mixed results.
Started trying different soaps and sticks recently and I'm wondering now what was keeping me from it all this time.
MUCH more consistent results with so far NO shave bumps or irritation.
I could only sometimes get that with creams.
Consider me a happy convert!
I know what you mean. I didn’t think I’d care for shave sticks either. But now I use them more frequently than anything else.

Speick is one of my favorites to use.

Top Bottom