What's new

What razors do you still need?

I imagine my answer will change again over time (as it has now) but at the moment it's probably an MK 31, preferably in ivory. I've passed on a couple over the past two weeks or so (one because I hated the custom scales, even though they were very well done) and one because I had just spent my razor money on a nice rock.

I alternate hands and I alternate both sides. Traditionally, only the omote side (non-stamped back) was used. This originated owing to the fact that wives would use this to shave their husband and that made it easy to use just the one side. But when properly horned, these things are wicked sharp and you can use both sides. Some say you need to change your angle when changing sides, but I have not noticed that.

Here is an excellent video of someone shaving with the Iwasaki kamisori:

Here is another video - excellent technique.

Something like this western Kami made from Swedish steel 300+ $ U.S

Also an aggressive ( smooth and efficient in my books ) SS DE razor head -Tech style .
Screenshot_2021-11-29-21-36-34-471_com.android.chrome.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It's like chasing the end of the rainbow. I just go in stages.

My current project is to complete a 7DS of T.R. Cadman Bengalls, hopefully by the end of this year. Only two more ⅝'s to go and it's done.

After the Bengall 7DS, I'll probably try a Proserpine Razor Co SR (Australian). Then maybe another Revisor SR model.

I would like to have 31 SR's so that I can rotate through the month. That should cut down on the stress of having to choose which SR's to shave with each week.
Looks like my seven-day set of Bengalls will be completed within a couple of weeks. Last night I was the winning bidder on a pre 1924 T.R. Cadman ⅝ "Bengall" in VG condition for under USD 30 including shipping. This will complete my set of seven.

After the Bengall set, I have ordered a custom (my first) Proserpine Razor Co (PRC) ¾ Spanish point from Steve Colling. He is working on it now.

That should be the end of my straight razor acquisition needs/wants 😊.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I really want a Claus USMC, in good condition, at a reasonable price.
Hmm...never heard of that one, but I'm thinking of Santa doing a "Toys for Tots" drive.... Santa.... would be be an officer or an enlisted man?

The things that run through the wheat fields of my mind....

I saw a set 4 of 7 Schulze in the wood box for $95, 1 is good to go, 1 has a nick in the edge (can be honed out), 2 have some rust and would require polishing. Scales are good to go. Blades have not been honed much and show little use. On the fence about it. I would like them, but not sure yet. Price is firm. I looked at restoration prices looking like $80 per. Puts me at $103 per SR. Anyone have any thoughts?

I’ve had a few razors go through my hands but I never feel like there’s anything I need. I think all high quality, well known and respected brand razors of any particular blade width and grind type are all pretty similar in their characteristics tbh. There are some stand outs of course but that goes for anything. If I’m looking, say, for a 7/8” full hollow razor, brand, year, scales, whatever doesn’t come into it for me, I would just get whatever I liked the look of and could afford at that moment in time.

I imagine my answer will change again over time (as it has now) but at the moment it's probably an MK 31, preferably in ivory. I've passed on a couple over the past two weeks or so (one because I hated the custom scales, even though they were very well done) and one because I had just spent my razor money on a nice rock.
I’ll trade you for a MOP BK42.

I’ll trade you for a MOP BK42.
Lol, if I had one of those to trade....

I did find a clean(ish) 31. Some pitting close to the edge and a minor crack at the wedge. I will probably keep looking for another.

It's funny, I like big blades and I like little ones too, but the 31 looks and feels like "just right" to me.

I have a 31 that I like. Matt at GSG is repinning it for me now. He usually has a few and if you email him, he might set you up. They come plastic and pre-ban ivory. Mine is ivory and yes, it feels "just right".
They're common enough even in ivory that I'm not sure I can justify to myself what Matt usually asks for them. Also, (and this is petty, I know) it bugs me that he repins them with washers. Although it might be worth seeing what he would do for an unrestored one.

I have been able to justify Matt's prices as well as some sellers that charge more than Matt. It goes like this: In order to avoid high seller prices, I need to find a razor "in the wild". This means buying a razor online from a source such as eBay. I would then pick up a razor for, say, $50 only to find out that there were geometry problems and I am unable to hone it. Or other problems that did not show up in the photos but made the razor less desirable. By the time I "struck gold" on the 'bay, I already shelled out more than what Matt charges. And I have a bunch of razors piling up that I don't know what to do with. So I have limited my 'bay purchases to those $8 or $15 razors where I have a special interest and I think I might be able to restore them. At that lower price level, I have had much better success. But at the MK 31 level, I would be hesitant to spend a decent sum unless I knew I could trust the vendor.

You make a fair point, @Eastcoast30 . I also don't want to make it sound like I'm saying Matt's prices are bad; they're not and you know exactly what you're getting.

I don't mind taking a chance on the bay if the price is right. Of the 6 Heljes I have bought from ebay, 4 were pristine and two had some obvious issues. Two of the pristine ones were MK 3s, (one unmarked) which are very similar to a 31 except the thumb notch, and together they were still less than what you'd pay for a similar razor from a "safe" seller.

That said, the 31 I just bought was right at the limit for what I would pay for a gamble, and the pitting ended up being more problematic than the photos suggested. Not that the photos were bad. It's just deeper than it looked and I'm going to have to decide how I'm going to address it since it's right at the edge. I could return it, but I've already honed it and if nothing else I can salvage the ivory scales. You pays your money and you takes your chances, as they say.

Top Bottom