What's new

What razors do you still need?

I have more than enough razors, but I feel that I still need three more:

Iwasaki Western Style Folder
Tanifuji
H. Diamond

Once I get these, I think my collection will be complete. Or am I just kidding myself?
What razors do you need to make your collection complete?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I don’t have anything over 6/8. A 7/8 or 8/8, heavier grind, perhaps a wedge or near. I’ve seen some really nice examples here lately. Never shaved with one though. Perhaps one day.

I have Shefields, Soligen's, Sweeds, and Japaneese. I even have a rare Iwasaki western, made of special steel nut I still NEED a Kamijo Yukio!

I have a Hayashi Diamond 1072 made of German Phoenix steel. Highly recommend it!

My current shopping list includes:

P. Hospital Le Grelot in Blonde Horn
MOP Heljestrand
Wade and Butcher 6/8-7/8”
Henkels Friodur 72 (recently ordered)
Theres’s always room for another plain scale Filly 13 too

Only interested in pristine examples. Will I ever find them. Who knows?

I already have all that I need. I crossed that line some time ago. Now with the luxury of time, I’m ready and waiting for the last remaining items to cross my path.

Last edited:
Iwasaki Western Style Folder
Why they don’t start making these again is beyond me. The company is still going and they would sell like hot cakes. I don’t buy the story that the machinery broke. Surely you can buy another grinding machine.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It's like chasing the end of the rainbow. I just go in stages.

My current project is to complete a 7DS of T.R. Cadman Bengalls, hopefully by the end of this year. Only two more ⅝'s to go and it's done.

After the Bengall 7DS, I'll probably try a Proserpine Razor Co SR (Australian). Then maybe another Revisor SR model.

I would like to have 31 SR's so that I can rotate through the month. That should cut down on the stress of having to choose which SR's to shave with each week.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think that my acquisitions are becoming too varied as there are the bare blades in need of scales collection, the e-bay clean up and hone collection, modern 5/8, 6/8, 7/8 collection, Sheffield collection, Old Solingen legacy collection, the large format Old Solingen legacy collection, dipping the toe into the Swedish collection, dipping the toe into the Japanese western collection, 14 collection, the Ertan Suer collection, the Thiers Issard collection, the Wacker collection, the Ralf Aust collection, the want to have vintage Le Grelot collection, the NOS collection,
collection pics.jpg
and still I cannot stop finding new items that I would like to collect.

Sorry for rambling, but as long as they are oiled and maintained in the dry Arizona air it doesn't seem like a problem to me.

Honestly, I think that my acquisitions are becoming too varied as there are the bare blades in need of scales collection, the e-bay clean up and hone collection, modern 5/8, 6/8, 7/8 collection, Sheffield collection, Old Solingen legacy collection, the large format Old Solingen legacy collection, dipping the toe into the Swedish collection, dipping the toe into the Japanese western collection, 14 collection, the Ertan Suer collection, the Thiers Issard collection, the Wacker collection, the Ralf Aust collection, the want to have vintage Le Grelot collection, the NOS collection,View attachment 1330811 and still I cannot stop finding new items that I would like to collect.

Sorry for rambling, but as long as they are oiled and maintained in the dry Arizona air it doesn't seem like a problem to me.
Well it will always look like a lot of razors if there’s a mirror at the back of the cabinet…

That’s a seriously nice collection / collections!

Last edited:
Honestly, I think that my acquisitions are becoming too varied as there are the bare blades in need of scales collection, the e-bay clean up and hone collection, modern 5/8, 6/8, 7/8 collection, Sheffield collection, Old Solingen legacy collection, the large format Old Solingen legacy collection, dipping the toe into the Swedish collection, dipping the toe into the Japanese western collection, 14 collection, the Ertan Suer collection, the Thiers Issard collection, the Wacker collection, the Ralf Aust collection, the want to have vintage Le Grelot collection, the NOS collection,View attachment 1330811 and still I cannot stop finding new items that I would like to collect.

Very nice collection and sweet display curio cabinet!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Well it will always look like a lot of razors if there’s a mirror at the back of the cabinet…

That’s a seriously nice collection / collections!
I count about 150 SR's in the cabinet, not including reflections. Another 165 and he will have a 1YS. Imagine, then no selection stress for a year. Fortunate man.

Once I get these, I think my collection will be complete. Or am I just kidding myself?

You are kidding yourself :)!

Look, we all love these things or we wouldn't spend so much time thinking about them, talking about them, buying them, and playing with them. Today is my first anniversary using a straight, and I have already collected over 30 straights.

I am trying not to focus on the specific but more on areas - like post WWII quarter hollow/near wedge - and to be opportunistic to what comes along, and what comes along tends to come in waves - particularly as people sell off collections.

I woke up yesterday morning with the intention of practicing restraint and ended up buying a Tornblom for less than $20, and a Joseph Rodgers 7/8 near wedge with no active rust, little wear and original scales for $100 :).

Do you shave strictly with your right hand or do you alternate hands as you would a symmetrically ground western straight?

This is the only reason why I have not considered trying one of trying kamisoris.

That is one beautiful piece of steel btw.

I don't...need...any more. But I'm looking for another 13/16 hollow ground. Fortunately there are tons of them so it's really a matter of finding one that speaks to me, at a good price.

Also looking for another 7/8 plus extra hollow. There are several obvious options. I'm waiting to hear back from Ulrik; I may have that angle covered.

I sort of want a French razor and a Spanish razor. I have nice razors from Germany, England, Japan, Sweden, USA, and the former USSR. Unfortunately (or not) I keep picking up Swedes. Just purchased another one yesterday LOL.

I'm trying to keep the herd down to around 14 or so. So far that's been about right as I rotate ones out that I don't love as much.

Do you shave strictly with your right hand or do you alternate hands as you would a symmetrically ground western straight?

This is the only reason why I have not considered trying one of trying kamisoris.

That is one beautiful piece of steel btw.
I alternate hands and I alternate both sides. Traditionally, only the omote side (non-stamped back) was used. This originated owing to the fact that wives would use this to shave their husband and that made it easy to use just the one side. But when properly horned, these things are wicked sharp and you can use both sides. Some say you need to change your angle when changing sides, but I have not noticed that.

Here is an excellent video of someone shaving with the Iwasaki kamisori:

Top Bottom