What's new

What razor really surprised you?

My broman this morning when it tried to modify the dimple in my chin to a canyon...

joking aside very happy with that razor

The Hoffritz Slant, my first razor of that type. It did look a little odd when I first put a blade in it. But it shaves me more closely than do my vintage Gillettes or even my Merkur Progress.

Excluding razors which I already suspected would be great, the one that actually was a huge surprise is the Fatip Piccolo SE.

It comes with OC and SB plates and both shave really nice and smooth!!

More than the efficiency, it was the smoothness and comfort that really took me by surprise!

Two surprised me. My UK Aristocrat. It gave me an excellent, smooth shave. The second razor is the smoothest shaver in my arsenal: Timeless SS SB .68.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Muhle R41, not a smooth ride by any means, but leaves me smoother and more irritation free on a daily basis than any razor I have ever used.

For me, the R41 beats these that I have owned or tried for extended periods. Bolded the ones I still own.
Merkur 1904 closed comb (42c I think)
Merkur 45
Parker 99r
Muhle Rocca
EJ DE89
Bevel
Pawn Stars DE (Weishi or what ever it is)
Gillete Super Speed
Feather Popular
Feather AS-D2
Mamba .70
GC .68
Karve with E plate
Carbon CX
Schone/Fatip

Yes, its shocking to me, but I'd take the R41 over all of those.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The DE razors that surprised me the most? Probably the Personna "BBS-0" and the Fatip Lo Storto Originale.

The Personna "BBS-0" because it's this unassuming razor that was given out gratis by an airline to passengers who needed to shave on long flights. That it (supposedly, according to the one review of it I found) was the inspiration for the iconic BBS-1 which was (again, according to what I have read) the inspiration for the incredible Wolfman razors is amazing to me. :)
shave 20200709_193400_2.jpg

The Fatip Lo Storto Originale because I have never been a slant fan and then the FOCS comes along and knocks my socks off. :)
shave 20200703_102744_2.jpg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I was surprised when I saw a Rockwell R1 DE butterfly safety razor for $12. More surprised when I got a decent shave with it. It’s mild and will set me up well for travel.

The DE razors that surprised me the most? Probably the Personna "BBS-0" and the Fatip Lo Storto Originale.

The Personna "BBS-0" because it's this unassuming razor that was given out gratis by an airline to passengers who needed to shave on long flights. That it (supposedly, according to the one review of it I found) was the inspiration for the iconic BBS-1 which was (again, according to what I have read) the inspiration for the incredible Wolfman razors is amazing to me. :)
View attachment 1124861

The Fatip Lo Storto Originale because I have never been a slant fan and then the FOCS comes along and knocks my socks off. :)
View attachment 1124859
Lovin the EverReady 200

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Hone Type 15. Surprising weight. Surprising feel on the face, almost like it sticks to my skin like a straight razor to a hone - an apt name for the razor. Surprisingly close and comfortable shave. Surprising that I was able to easily get a BBS shave with it the first time I used it with zero nicks or irritation.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I used these years ago with canned shave gel with OK results but since using a DE, SE, AC, and straight for a few years my technique has changed quite a bit. When I use these old razors now they can give superb results when combined with a brush and a proper soap or cream. I still use them for travel when flying and sometimes at home, the fixed heads help to maintain proper technique and focus on angle.

This is a surprisingly good razor:

bic1.jpg
This is an excellent razor, the best disposable I have ever tried, better than any cartridge razor in my opinion:

bic2.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Mühle R41. Since I got it, no other razor compared. Wish it would look as fancy as the Mühle Rocca. Would love to try an Above the Tie Kronos H2.

Top Bottom