What's new

What pocket knife do you carry?

C2A313A3-8061-4F3D-B68A-640D18894920.jpeg

Spyderco Delica

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
None obviously. Why would one want to wear a knife in a civilised environment.

They're very useful pocket tools.

I opened two mail packages today, and a box of my usual daily medicine. I also opened a tin of chopped tomatoes with the can opener, trimmed a couple of fingernails with the scissors, and cut the top off a vape juice bottle to pour out the dregs inside. I used the hook on the back to open a shaving soap box without tearing the tab too. I could have used other tools, but I had exactly what I needed in my pocket. If I'm breaking a load of recycling down, or doing a bit of work in the garden, I might put a fixed bladed sheath knife on my belt too.

I can't think of an environment where some sort of pocket knife wouldn't be useful. I open packages and letters most days with mine. Having it on me saves steps. You make it sound as if these were weapons, which is not the intention.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Sorry if I offended anyone, that's by no means my intention. I was just amazed and puzzeled by the pictures that give me a totally different impression than that innocent swiss knife I was expecting.
So no need to defend yourself: it's clearly MY head that needs to adapt.

If you don't ask, you don't find out. :biggrin1: I have everything from keyring sized knife to machete and bowie style knives, and every type has seen a lot of use. I use to be quite active though. Boating, stage management, gardening, hiking, camping. DIY, plus work was a factory environment where sharp tools were useful too.

Even though life is now a lot more sedate due to disability, they all still have a role to play. A one handed folding blade can still be quite useful to me, as my other hand might be keeping me upright. ;)
IMG_20201201_061017.jpg
A fixed blade offers much the same, and isn't going to fold on me if I have an uncoordinated moment, plus is easier to break down the recycling with than a 7cm folding blade. I still do a bit in the garen when I can as well.

I still carry some kind of sharp thing everyday, and often a multitool of sorts, and a torch during the darker months too. Pocket tools have been a necessary feature in my life for so long, I now feel naked without one.

None obviously. Why would one want to wear a knife in a civilised environment.
777C6B9D-34C0-489F-B143-8B4D64317E98.jpeg

Not everyone has the same civilized life experience so some carry a knife.

I am in the trades so I use a knife every day.
Something like this Cold Steel Tuff Lite is perfect for my work, some may say the steel is less than adequate but I love it because just a couple swipes on my pocket stone will have it shaving sharp very quickly.

Top Bottom