What's new

What pocket knife do you carry?

In Denmark we are allowed to carry blades up to 7 centimeters in length as long as they cannot lock in any way, cannot be opened with one hand only and are not spring loaded.
In the night life it is completely forbidden and you`d be pushing your luck if you walked in to some governement building.

Actually we recently had a case with a young man aspiring to become a policeman. He was pulled over for a routine speed comtrol and the officer found one of those plastic knives with the blade that can be pushed up and snapped off in pieces as it gets dulled. It`s made for cardboard boxes and costs app. 1- 2 USD.
This got written into his criminal records and thus broke his dreams for ever becoming a police officer as punished people are banned from the force here in Denmark.

I am really surprised by learning about knife laws in the UK and Denmark. I thought we had strict laws, but this sounds outragious.

Folding knives here may not be longer than 28cm, and there are restrictions on knives that are clearly designed as weapons instead of tools (stilettos and such). Besides, there are some areas (e.g. the city center of Amsterdam) where you're not allowed to have a knife in direct reach. Packed in your rucksack is ok, but hanging at your belt, or tucked into your jeans pocket is not.

I think banning knives is not the solution for decreasing violence among young people ... it's better to educate them properly.

You won't get 5 years just for carrying a knife in the UK - the law specifically states that you're not allowed to carry with you in public, without good reason (work etc), any sharply pointed or bladed object. With the exception of a folding pocket knife with a cutting edge not exceeding 3 inches. In other words you can carry a non-locking, 3" blade knife at your own discretion

You won't get 5 years just for carrying a knife in the UK - the law specifically states that you're not allowed to carry with you in public, without good reason (work etc), any sharply pointed or bladed object. With the exception of a folding pocket knife with a cutting edge not exceeding 3 inches. In other words you can carry a non-locking, 3" blade knife at your own discretion

Non-locking only? So an Opinel is forbidden? That would make the Opinel 8 I always have in my laptop case illegal. The blade would be too long anyway (over 3"). But of course I don't take any pocket knife with me to the UK anyway, because of airport security.

Yeah, a case in the 80s determined folding to mean non-locking as a lock essentially turns a pocket knife into a fixed blade knife

the one on the right

proxy.php

You can't carry a swiss army knife in your pocket?

"This side of the pond" only refers to a funny island to the west of us, where they drink their tea with milk :lol:

There are considerable differences between European countries regarding knife laws. The Netherlands are relatively lax; the UK seems to be very strict.

In the Netherlands, in general you may carry a folder if it only has one cutting edge, and if the length (unfolded) is no more than 11". However, some countries have additional restrictions on locking, or blade length. In other countries, there are hardly any rules (afaik Greece has pretty liberal knife rules)

Last edited:
Lately it's been a Spyderco Pingo (Denmark legal non-locking) in the standard black FRN. The blade steel in this knife is fantastic, gets sharp and stays sharp extremely well!

Kershaw spring assisted knife. I did try to shave with it while camping and it was kinda decent, not sure I would do it again...

My daily pocket knife is either a Case Baby Butterbean, Schrade Old Timer Small Stockman (Grandpa's) or Medium Stockman (Mine, then Dad's, now mine again), or Victorinox SA Officer. These are all small enough to disappear in pants pockets. I also have a Mantis coin knife that is great for pocket carry, as soon as I can figure out how to get a decent edge on it. It's interesting to fiddle with, but pretty much useless as-is.

When working in the yard I carry either a A.G. Russel Cowboy folder in my pocket or a Leatherman liner-lock clipped in my boot to deal with dandelions or other nefarious lawn invaders.

I carry 3 knives every day.....an old Gerber clipped to my right pocket,a little Leather micra in my left and joining it in my left is a Kissing Crane Stiletto.

Lately I have been carrying a smaller knife (Opinel No. 6), and that works great for me. It's more convenient (and invisible) in the pocket than my No. 8 or a similar knife. And it is just as handy. Most regular tasks can be performed just as well with a smaller blade.

I always carry a Wenger stainless steel Swiss Army Knife with two of the essential blades required for civilized living: cigar scissors and corkscrew. :wink2:

I always carry a Wenger stainless steel Swiss Army Knife with two of the essential blades required for civilized living: cigar scissors and corkscrew. :wink2:

Oh well, I don't smoke and I don't drink wine ... I can get around with a less sophisticated knife lol

Top Bottom