What's new

What pocket knife do you carry?

The main attribute for an EDC knife, for me, is that it does not look dangerous to others. When I pull out my knife in the office, I don't want to hear "Rambo" comments.

My Opinel #6 is great for that purpose, even better than the #8. Because it is so small, nobody gives it a second look.

primary daily is a benchmade 940

$549816_10151355032448034_1740583761_n.jpg

My grandfather's 73'-85' Victorinox Spartan. Nothing too fancy, but I will pass it on to my grandson (as well as some wet shaving gear and knowledge).

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Case 6254 SS Trapper (red bone); Bought it in Lander, WY at Ace Hardware in 1966 for approximately $13. After 40+ years of hunting, fishing and camping the blades are 2/3 of the orginal width.

Benchmade auto and a Leatherman Wave when I'm at work. I've got a couple of old antiques that rattle around in my pocket when not at work. I don't know muych about them...one's a barlow and a couple of others are old folders.

Case 6254 SS Trapper (red bone); Bought it in Lander, WY at Ace Hardware in 1966 for approximately $13. After 40+ years of hunting, fishing and camping the blades are 2/3 of the orginal width.

It's wonderful, isn't it. I bought mine in the early 70's with birthday money. Except mine has carbon steel blades and the plastic scales. Carried it through junior high, highschool (yes, I did) and through college, and still have it. Good knives are like that.

I have several that I rotate in and out of service based on what I need at the time. I have carried Kershaw Junkyard Dogs (I and II), Kershaw Leeks, Case Slimline Trappers, Victorinox, Wenger, and a Buck (I think it's a 110, but don't hold me to that). All are fine knives and have great edges.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
It's wonderful, isn't it. I bought mine in the early 70's with birthday money. Except mine has carbon steel blades and the plastic scales. Carried it through junior high, highschool (yes, I did) and through college, and still have it. Good knives are like that.
Yeah...In grade school we used to play mumblety-peg at recess...now you get suspended ( or worse) for having one at school.....times sure have changed........

Last edited:
I don't know if we, as a society, got less tolerant, or if those measures are really needed because our youths became more violent ... I am largely betting on the first factor. Everywhere around me I see that we give our youths less room for playing around and experimenting.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
While I chose a Case 6254 SS trapper 40+ years ago for every day carry and still do, I have others because I'm a knife nut. There are so many excellent choices displayed here. I gave a Spyderco Delica to a close friend that owns a body shop. He carries it daily for rough use and after 8 years it's still fully functional which amazes both of us! His dad , another lifelong outdoorsman carries a Shrade Muskrat. The blades almost look like toothpicks! Just another two examples. Like me, they both own and prize other knives.

Last edited:
Top Bottom