What's new

What pocket knife do you carry?

Yep, you're right. An Elinox Standard.

Except mine has the key ring, which the Elinox lacks according to that. From the link ChrisPL68 provided I found this picture that shows they added a notch on the screwdriver in 1999 or 2000, mine doesn’t have it.
50C62B2E-A74B-4130-90EC-4CA45D663E70.jpeg

And this picture shows they made the V larger than the rest of the letters in Victorinox in 1987, which is what mine has. So, best guess it was made 1987-1999? Thanks for all of your guys help, it was fun researching this knife and the 87-99 time frame is about right. I’ve had it forever but put it away and forgot about it for some reason.
9B607B68-AE10-4411-9DE4-64D86D589CEB.jpeg

Last edited:
Went on a road trip, so of course I had to hit some antique/vintage/junk stores and look around. Today's Mutt and Jeff carry came from Belle Fourche, SD.

I cleaned this 4" Böker 7374 Solingen punch blade stockman up just a little. Big stockman, but it carries nice. Looks to me as if the spey blade was slightly reprofiled at the tip to safely accomplish its assigned task, making steers in SD or WY. The big clip blade saw less use than the spey.

The 2 13/16" Remington UMC Made in USA pony jack needed nothing. Spent its life in a dresser drawer, not a corral.

I bonded, in my distant youth, to a busted up Remington punch blade stockman. So this combo is pure nostalgia.

D88A0412-9763-4AD2-B2F2-F0C092024F82.jpeg

Usually carry a Leatherman Wave and this Victorinox Champion every day at work. Outside of work, the Leatherman stays home. The pliers and eyeglass screwdrivers are the main things I use on it.

Been collecting Victorinox/Wenger knives (exclusively) for about 10 years now, but got my first in 1993. Fantastic knives, lots of different variations and you can guarantee that every single flea market and antique store will have at least one. I only collect rare stuff and things I don't already have, so the challenge is getting harder- but that add to the fun.
Champion2.jpg

I grabbed the Rough Ryder 2181 single blade wharncliffe for a particular task this morning, but it promptly went into my pocket for the day.

Nice build, wharncliffe, half stop, micarta handle, lanyard hole, easy carry (unlike some of my overbuilt Rough Ryder Reserve knives). It is affordably priced and doesn't have the dumb branded bolsters. What is not to like?

A carbon blade would be fine by me, but I grabbed it for this morning's job to get the big wharncliffe/stainless steel combo.

Backed up by a vintage Queen 3 5/16" serpentine Rawhide series stockman. More practical stainless. And half stops. This knife is as big as I can slip into my watch pocket.
20775E41-B131-4AA2-8916-E4BD2BE15C0E.jpeg

Punch blade stockmen:
My three most current EDCs and the inspirational one I've owned over six decades, since my dad pulled it out of a junk drawer and gave it to me.

294DC15C-0526-4ADF-A60A-F54262866B8E.jpeg
Remington R100B, a dollar knife medium stockman that was very short on remaining scales when I was given it. My first stockman, now an every day letter opener.

E4671598-5D1B-4EC3-902E-9340C0CE5D70.jpeg

Case 2318PU CV, medium stockman bought new last year. It gets a lot of use, and shows it. The punch is not rounded in the least, just a flat, narrow chisel ground blade.

EFD5CE0D-AFED-4194-9384-CDB85C86D89B.jpeg

Böker Solingen 7374, recently found large stockman that is still a comfortable carry. That punch is of a useful design.

4603C9EB-579F-43D0-BEEE-57E0F2A1B8BC.jpeg
Western 657 medium stockman, impulse Black Friday find. It has a very nice size and shape to the punch, ideal for a new hole in your pony's harness. Or just your belt. It is beating out the Case in the daily race to my pocket.

Top Bottom