What's new

What pocket knife do you carry?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Oak scaled Congress Whittler

IMG_20220518_073125.jpg

IMG_20220518_073043.jpg

When ( if) I did it would be a two blade Case. They don’t make pockets the way they used to, they are shallow and things tend to fall out. During the past decade or so I have lost multiple combs (before that I carried the same comb for 30 years) and a lot of pocket change. When I lost my new Case pocket knife I decided to quit carrying small valuable stuff there. I thought it was happening when I sat down, but I managed to lose the knife while I was upright.

This is a currently popular combo:

One of my several 3" Rough Ryder tiny toothpicks. Perfect for a quick light job - slitting something open, cutting non-metal ties.

A recent find - well and heavily built 3 11/16" jack. Absolutely no branding, obviously old, but unflawed after heavy pocket wear. Any top end cutler would have been proud to have made this one. Solid springs, positive half stops, and the blades have never been heavily honed or abused in any way. It can take on any pocketknife task that doesn't need a delicate blade or fine point.
61FD7478-94C5-4404-A33E-87542BB95FE1.jpeg

It is possible that I should stop buying and cleaning up inexpensive old classic pocket knives. The drawer is filling up.

When ( if) I did it would be a two blade Case. They don’t make pockets the way they used to, they are shallow and things tend to fall out. During the past decade or so I have lost multiple combs (before that I carried the same comb for 30 years) and a lot of pocket change. When I lost my new Case pocket knife I decided to quit carrying small valuable stuff there. I thought it was happening when I sat down, but I managed to lose the knife while I was upright.

When I'm worried I might lose a knife, I typically carry an inexpensive (Chinese) Rough Ryder. I can afford to replace a $12-15 knife. The RR build quality is not completely consistent, but higher model numbers (recent knives) tend to be better than lower model numbers.

My more beat up classic knives from makers like Camillus, Queen, Colonial and Boker are also choices for my 'at risk' carries.

BTW, I can't say that Case has completely consistent build quality either.

This is my typical hand tool carry for a day of forestry labor:
4B339163-071D-4556-B62D-40D3E339FABA.jpeg

Only three of these edged tools fit into an overall pocket.

After my bright yellow New Zealand Svord peasant knife went missing for a few days, I got a bright green backup. The cheesy quality Imperial stock knife has decent blades, but I would be happy to lose it and its fake hollow bolsters and covers. Somehow my throwaway knives seldom, if ever, go missing.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
When I lost my new Case pocket knife I decided to quit carrying small valuable stuff there. I thought it was happening when I sat down, but I managed to lose the knife while I was upright.

Getting in and out of the car was the worst cause of things doing a Houdini on me. I don't drive any more for health reasons, but I remain very mindful of which items are secure in which pocket.

On days where I'm wearing pockets I don't trust (usually when wearing shorts), I have a couple of neck lanyards with a few essentials on.

20220519_122101.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Case Scout Jr with a modified knifeless Leatherman Fuse. These used to be one of my "just in case" kits for outdoorsy activities, which I don't do anymore, but I carried them today anyway, just for the heck of it.

IMG_20220519_104156.jpg

IMG_20220519_104101.jpg

20220519_104311.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Awesome looking knife! I don’t typically carry classics. But I sure love the look of them! May I ask, what is the multi tool?

Thanks. I do have a few one handed, pocket clipped knives, nearly all of which are non-locking*, but most of the time, I'm more likely to have a traditional pocket knife or multipurpose (Swiss) knife in my pocket.

The multitool in that shot is a Gerber Balance. :thumbsup:

* My personal preference - I prefer the ease and safety of one hand closing over the ease of opening, and without having to put my fingers in the line of travel, which is the case with many locks. If I ever need a "locking" knife, or a regular slippie isnt up to the task, I'll generally reach for a fixed blade sheath knife instead.

Thanks. I do have a few one handed, pocket clipped knives, nearly all of which are non-locking*, but most of the time, I'm more likely to have a traditional pocket knife or multipurpose (Swiss) knife in my pocket.

The multitool in that shot is a Gerber Balance. :thumbsup:

* My personal preference - I prefer the ease and safety of one hand closing over the ease of opening, and without having to put my fingers in the line of travel, which is the case with many locks. If I ever need a "locking" knife, or a regular slippie isnt up to the task, I'll generally reach for a fixed blade sheath knife instead.
I appreciate you sharing your insight, seems like you have that pretty well thought out on what works best for you! That’s awesome! Also, thank you for the info on the balance! Sweet looking MT 🤙😎

Yesterday's carries:
Gerber multitool
Rough Ryder wharncliffe - kinda big for my EDC purposes, but a well built knife
Rough Rider (before the 'y') small (under 3" closed) stockman - more than makes up for the lack of a small blade on the wharncliffe. Better built than my Case small stockman of similar size.
E5C79FA0-E97A-421A-BBDE-F696B02B7640.jpeg

I’ve had this little Case 6333 since the late 90’s, the date code shows a production date of 1997 which is about when I bought I but can’t remember exactly what year. I had another one that I’d carried for many years and broke the blade using it as a screwdriver. Found this one in the sporting goods department of a K-Mart and mentioned to the sales clerk that I broke my other one and he said they have a lifetime warranty, didn’t matter how it was broke, so he asked for the old one and gave me the new one at no cost.

It goes everywhere in my left front pocket with my change, although I usually use one of my larger one hand folders because they’re easier, but it still gets used occasionally and always gets the job done.
image.jpg

Top Bottom