What's new

What pocket knife do you carry?

IMG_2443.JPG
Today it was also this ESEE 3 that I just got through a trade. This is my first ESEE and I'm definitely a fan.
Fixed blades have always been illegal to carry here until November of last year. I only found out about a month ago.
I've got a Bradford guardian3 that is more suitable for edc but this will work too.

It may be the picture making it look larger, it's actually a pretty small knife. Just a little bigger than a Benchmade mini grip which is probably my smallest knife.
You are correct. How about this justification: The closed length of a Para2 is actually slightly shorter than the Endura.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I know Cutco knives take a bit of a beating in the cooking knife threads. But I love them. They cut so nicely, and feel awesome in the hand. So I have a whole block full of them. I got this little Cutco pocket knife for free with my last order. Boy have I been enjoying this little bugger. Sharp as heck, and the little serrated blade really slices through rope, etc. Its compact size makes it super pocket friendly. Made in the USA as well. I have been using it so much since i got it.

2017-08-25 08.09.45.jpg

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
@BradWorld
I know Cutco knives take a bit of a beating in the cooking knife threads. But I love them. They cut so nicely, and feel awesome in the hand. So I have a whole block full of them.

I had boss once (3 grades above me) who wanted to see my new truck cuz he thought it looked really nice. Long story short--he made UGLY comments about 4 wheel drive, leather seats, and the color of the interior lighting and said he wouldn't have one like this.
I looked him right in the eyes and very colorfully with numerous conjugations of profane words explained to him how I was glad I had purchased the vehicle for me and not for him.
The look on his face was priceless!!!

Moral of the story?
Don't worry about what others think. So long as it's not illegal, immoral, and doesn't go against your "code" you do and use what you want. There will always be haters and people who have decided they just want to be miserable and who want to do their best to make others miserable.
Today this guy is dying and still complaining about stupid petty stuff.
Oh boy! Did I ever go off on that one!

@BradWorld
I know Cutco knives take a bit of a beating in the cooking knife threads. But I love them. They cut so nicely, and feel awesome in the hand. So I have a whole block full of them.

I had boss once (3 grades above me) who wanted to see my new truck cuz he thought it looked really nice. Long story short--he made UGLY comments about 4 wheel drive, leather seats, and the color of the interior lighting and said he wouldn't have one like this.
I looked him right in the eyes and very colorfully with numerous conjugations of profane words explained to him how I was glad I had purchased the vehicle for me and not for him.
The look on his face was priceless!!!

Moral of the story?
Don't worry about what others think. So long as it's not illegal, immoral, and doesn't go against your "code" you do and use what you want. There will always be haters and people who have decided they just want to be miserable and who want to do their best to make others miserable.
Today this guy is dying and still complaining about stupid petty stuff.
Oh boy! Did I ever go off on that one!
:thumbup:

I am also looking at the Para 3. The same blade steel and G10 scales as the Paramilitary, but sized like the Delica.
I've been curious about that one too. Had it in my cart a few times and removed it in favor of something else. One of these days.

For some reason I was thinking about the Para Military when I was commenting on your Sage. That's a beautiful knife in a great size for my workplace where I need something smaller.
Yeah and they offer them from three different makers with three different lockups. I kind of want one of each!

IMG_2461.JPG
Spyderco Domino today.
I recently picked up quite a few Spyderco's and didn't think this one was going to come out as a favorite but it's surprised me. Very smooth, very easy to carry and I like the flipper. Just ordered a deep carry clip for it and can see it becoming my most carried knife.

Any thoughts on Spyderco's Native 5? The lightweight version with the FRN scales seems like a nice knife in between the Delica and Para3.

Any thoughts on Spyderco's Native 5? The lightweight version with the FRN scales seems like a nice knife in between the Delica and Para3.
I was just talking to somebody about that one last week! They bought one because they hated the Endura due to the size and wanted something a lot smaller. It sounded like a pretty great little knife with a very small footprint.
I've never had one or even handled one but at the rate I've been picking them up lately...lol.

I was just talking to somebody about that one last week! They bought one because they hated the Endura due to the size and wanted something a lot smaller. It sounded like a pretty great little knife with a very small footprint.
I've never had one or even handled one but at the rate I've been picking them up lately...lol.
It is a USA made knife with s35 steel. It is sized more like the Delica, but the handle is shorter, so maybe better in the pocket. The blade and handle are also a little thicker. I would say it should be a little bit tougher and heavier than a Delica, but not as heavy duty as the Para3. I think I am going to pick one up.

It is a USA made knife with s35 steel. It is sized more like the Delica, but the handle is shorter, so maybe better in the pocket. The blade and handle are also a little thicker. I would say it should be a little bit tougher and heavier than a Delica, but not as heavy duty as the Para3. I think I am going to pick one up.
Yeah the Para 3 might be a hard sell for me too, it looks too much like only a slightly smaller version of the PM2 which may be the perfect carry knife but it's not as interesting to me.
I still want one:) It's just a little further down the wish list. If I had my choice I'd go with the Native too I think.

I just started a dedicated Spyderco thread, make sure and post up there if you get one!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Lately for me its been CRKT. Either my Ken Onion blue Ripple or for something smaller, a CRKT Delegate, but I really like my Cold Steel Ti-Lite, even if it is hard on my pocket lol.

The Ripple is especially slick opening as its a ball bearing design, and it has the tab when closed so it's a simple flick with your index finger and its open. As fast and as smooth as an auto.

The Delegate is assisted. The only issue I have with it is the thumb stud. Its flush with the scales when closed so it can take some practice getting it open really quickly.

The Ti-Lite has a "pocket dragger" tab so that while pulling it from your pocket, a tab grabs the pocket edge, if you want it to, and it opens as you pull it. Just make sure no one is within arms reach behind you when you do that lol, but its as quick into action as a fixed blade.

IMG_1851.JPG

Lately for me its been CRKT. Either my Ken Onion blue Ripple or for something smaller, a CRKT Delegate, but I really like my Cold Steel Ti-Lite, even if it is hard on my pocket lol.

The Ripple is especially slick opening as its a ball bearing design, and it has the tab when closed so it's a simple flick with your index finger and its open. As fast and as smooth as an auto.

The Delegate is assisted. The only issue I have with it is the thumb stud. Its flush with the scales when closed so it can take some practice getting it open really quickly.

The Ti-Lite has a "pocket dragger" tab so that while pulling it from your pocket, a tab grabs the pocket edge, if you want it to, and it opens as you pull it. Just make sure no one is within arms reach behind you when you do that lol, but its as quick into action as a fixed blade.

View attachment 816762
I like the look of the Ripple, especially the blade shape.
I enjoy using a full flat ground more than anything else but I'd rather look at something with some lines on it. Good looking knife.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I like the look of the Ripple, especially the blade shape.
I enjoy using a full flat ground more than anything else but I'd rather look at something with some lines on it. Good looking knife.

Thanks, its a first edition so it doesnt see a lot of use, but it comes out of its box in my drawer from time to time.

@Esox How do you like the Cold Steel? I won a Recon4 that's on its way to me; I haven't had one of theirs in 10-15 years. I remember liking the knife except the pocket clip was polymer and molded onto the scales. I snapped it off one day taking it out and there was really no replacing it.

Not sure if I'll end up keeping this one or flipping it.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That Ti-Lite is always with me. Right now its on the desk beside me and when I leave the house it goes in a pocket.

I have no issues whatsoever with the quality, its a solid well made piece. If I had anything negative to say about it, it would be the tab that sticks out the back when closed could be slightly taller so its easier to flick open with my index finger. I dont usually have any issues with it, but it can take a strong quick flick of the wrist to open it quickly if I dont use the pocket dragger.

You can see the serrated pocket dragger tab and imagine how it works as you pull it from your pants pocket. That tab grabs the pockets corner as you pull it from the pocket and it opens at the same time.

This is the smaller 4" blade version. The larger 6" blade version is more akin to a folding sword lol. Not sure which steel it is, but it takes an edge fairly easily and retains it pretty well. The pocket clip as you can see is steel, and quite strong. It doesnt flex easily at all.

Opened, those two serrated tabs serve as a very grippy hilt for both the thumb and the index finger.

IMG_1853.JPG IMG_1858.JPG

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This Kershaw is a very good knife too. Its fought a battle or two over the years and lives on my desk beside the Ti-Lite.

A larger heavier knife with a lot of strength and backbone, but a very fine edge that could be finished with a strop if desired. Its assisted opening and opens quickly and smoothly despite the weight of the blade. Easily stripped down for cleaning and servicing and has aluminum scales that are flat. It hangs in a pocket very well.

IMG_1860.JPG IMG_1862.JPG

Top Bottom