What's new

What pen do you use in your Leuchtturm 1917 Bullet Journal

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hello!

Wondering what pen y’all use in your Leuchtturm 1917 Bullet Journal. I just picked one up today. Going to start with Blackwing 602 pencil until I find a good pen to use.

So what do you use?

Edit: Not interested in a fountain pen

Last edited:
I looked all over online for reviews of that journal, and most said the paper wasn't great at holding up to fountain pen use. Lots of bleeding and ghosting issues. I would have to say that something with a Japanese fine nib and a drier writing/faster drying ink would be the best bet on the fountain pen front.

Other than that, the bullet journals total free form setup has actually worked really well for me, so hopefully you find it as useful.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I should have said I’m not interested in a fountain pen. Thanks, Dustin!

The only pen I liked using, (or still use excepting FPs) is a Fisher Space pen cartridge. I also prefer as fine a ball/nib I can use. The Fisher is clean writing, especially with smaller script.

I haven’t seen the bullet journal but am on my third 1917 and bullet with the 5mm grid. I assume the paper is the same, just formatted differently.

I prefer EF, and will use a F nib. I prefer writing with IG inks, currently ESS Registrar’s. I have no issues with ghosting or bleedthrough, using those. A wet M can lay down enough to ghost with a darker ink sometimes

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I prefer medium point Ball point pens. I am trying to use up some that I have been gifted over the years. They are mainly Parker’s and Schaefer pens and I find them to be excellent pens for everyday use. Plus if you leave one behind somewhere it is no real loss.

For non-fountain pens, I really like the fiber tips of the Sakura Pigma Micron line, and they come in an array of widths and colors all the way down to .25mm. Excellent for drawing, with really crisp clean lines, and if kept well-capped will last forever. I have a few .25 (red, black, and purple) that are over 15 years old and still work as new (very low use, once I started using fountain pens.) They also make a really nice "marker" style brush pen.

proxy.php

I may have to go buy some more colored pens now, thanks B&B! :001_rolle

I think these .38s are too fat. Good thing I just use them to highlight and format. Pen in is ESS Registrar’s in a Esterbook SJ & 9450 EF bookkeeping nib, on a 5mm grid; for those who care.

CC7427A7-0332-4095-BB90-793F91F48781.jpeg

For non-fountain pens, I really like the fiber tips of the Sakura Pigma Micron line, and they come in an array of widths and colors all the way down to .25mm. Excellent for drawing, with really crisp clean lines, and if kept well-capped will last forever. I have a few .25 (red, black, and purple) that are over 15 years old and still work as new (very low use, once I started using fountain pens.) They also make a really nice "marker" style brush pen.

proxy.php
And that is exactly what I use...

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Can't help. Don't use anything but fountain pens if at all possible. I am not a barbarian.

Top Bottom