What's new

What kind of epoxy

I just wantd to know if Locktite Marine epoxy will work for setting a brush. Or will just an epoxy work. I just ordered a knot from TGN and am getting ready.

I've used Locktite Marine Epoxy in both restoration projects I completed. I was happy with the results, but don't overuse it to the point it comes out the top of the handle. The stuff dries white, so be careful on how much you use.

Last edited:
I think any 2-part epoxy will work fine. The color shouldn't matter 'cause who's going to see it? As Noah said, use less than you think you need.

I think any 2-part epoxy will work fine. The color shouldn't matter 'cause who's going to see it? As Noah said, use less than you think you need.

Obviously your so good that you've never had squeeze out of excess epoxy caused by using too much.
I would never use colored epoxy and to make sure I don't get any epoxy in the hair I wrap the hair with masking tape at the line where it meets the handle.

Legion

Staff member
I use Araldite (might be an Australian brand..) two part, 5 minute epoxy. Use half as much as you think you need. Better to have to re-glue a loose knot in some distant future, than have to clean up an excess epoxy disaster zone.

(PS. Keep lots of paper towels and pure alcohol around, just in case. Ethanol is the best thing for cleaning up wet epoxy.)

Obviously your so good that you've never had squeeze out of excess epoxy caused by using too much.
I would never use colored epoxy and to make sure I don't get any epoxy in the hair I wrap the hair with masking tape at the line where it meets the handle.

No, I've never had the problems caused by excess epoxy. If you wish to credit me with expertise and prowess, thank you. It's just dumb luck. Now you've jinxed me and the next one is going to spew all over the place!:ohmy:

That said, I always do as you, mask the knot and the top of the handle with tape.

Before I started using tape I used the gray paste Pc-7 epoxy that comes in the red and black cans and I got squeeze out in the hair, even when I'd scraped off the dried epoxy it had discolored the hair.
I had to discount that brush, a sloppy knot set can ruin a otherwise perfect brush.
Now I always tape off and only use transparent epoxy, all epoxy is water proof.
I also keep a bottle of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol handle to clean up any excess before it hardens.

No, I've never had the problems caused by excess epoxy. If you wish to credit me with expertise and prowess, thank you. It's just dumb luck. Now you've jinxed me and the next one is going to spew all over the place!:ohmy:

That said, I always do as you, mask the knot and the top of the handle with tape.

Last edited:
i use 12 minute epoxy. the more minutes, the better the bond. i learned that the hard way from a previous hobby.

v.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I only use Devcon 5 Min Epoxy on all my brushes and restorations - never had one fail.

No need to pay the extra for marine grade. I bought mine at Ace and decided against the five minute one. I figure I’m not using it until the next morning anyway why put the pressure on myself as I am trying to mix it and set it?

But then I’m not Rudy, Master Knotter of le Brush World.:wink2:

I think more important then the brand or set time of the epoxy is properly prepping the socket and the knot plug.
I seal the inside of the socket at the beginning of the finishing process with the same finish used on the outside of the handle.
I rough up the knot plug with either 80 or 120 grit sandpaper so gloss is removed form the plug and it has a good surface for the epoxy to bond to.
I apply epoxy to both the socket and the plug and when I insert the knot I twist it slightly to make sure I have complete contact with no voids.
I keep a bottle of 91% alcohol handy to clean up any squeeze out.
I also mask off the hair at the line where it meet the handle to prevent any epoxy getting on the hair.
A bad job setting the knot can ruin the looks of an otherwise nice brush.

I think more important then the brand or set time of the epoxy is properly prepping the socket and the knot plug.
I seal the inside of the socket at the beginning of the finishing process with the same finish used on the outside of the handle.
I rough up the knot plug with either 80 or 120 grit sandpaper so gloss is removed form the plug and it has a good surface for the epoxy to bond to.
I apply epoxy to both the socket and the plug and when I insert the knot I twist it slightly to make sure I have complete contact with no voids.
I keep a bottle of 91% alcohol handy to clean up any squeeze out.
I also mask off the hair at the line where it meet the handle to prevent any epoxy getting on the hair.
A bad job setting the knot can ruin the looks of an otherwise nice brush.

Thanks for the great info. :001_smile

Devcon 5 minute for me, and I always rough up the knot plug and table before I epoxy the knot in place. I have never had any trouble with with Devcon, either in my own brushes or with ones restored by Rudy.

Agree with the Devcon 5 minute sentiments. I used Gorilla 5 minute epoxy on the last handle I made (just because I ran out of the Devcon and I didn't need it to be clear [Gorilla dries cream colored]) and have zero problems...Though I suppose to be fair the brush is on the BST and I won't be using it heh so I haven't tested it with lather or water...I doubt there would be a problem in terms of Gorilla vs Devcon though as they are both fairly large brand names.

I would say though that the set time isn't a huge issue if you plan for waiting to use it. I usually wait to use mine for the final full strength time listed...The Devcon 5 minute lists 12 hours for complete dry time. I can only count maybe one time I wish I had chosen the longer time stuff just FYI...Usually 5 minutes is plenty of time though it depends on what you are doing. The one time I wished I had longer was when I was gluing multiple things at once (adding weight to one of my bamboo brushes in the form of washers).

Top Bottom