What's new

What kind of beer do you like

Basically grew up on Amstel and Grolsch, i guess. Too many good beers to list them all here, but amongst others Trappist, Belgian ale and oh lets say a very long list of Dutch and Belgian beers. Ah and of course, because of the season, a nice white beer for a hot summer day. The Dutch beer that is probably most famous (Heineken) is one of my least favorite. Swedish bears are not really something to write home about, except for a few decent beers from smaller breweries.

Yeah, the big Swedish brands aren't all that great. The Danish are (in my opinion) a bit better but not much. There are some very nice Belgian beers I like, and living in the Netherlands is great in that way because you can get a hold of quite good beer really easily.

As for white beer... not something I've ever been a fan of. Each to their own I guess :)

Pils: my local brand, voted purest lager by a consumer watchdog in Belgium: Bavik pils, brewed in nearby Bavikhove. An excellent pilsner, very tasty, pure ingredients.

Blond: Duvel, La Chouffe, Grimbergen

Dark: Felix, Gordon Scotch, Guinness

Trappist: Westvleteren, Rochefort

White beers: I don't like the Belgian whites that much, I prefer the German real stuff Hefenweizen.

But all in all, I don't drink a lot of beer (mega-calories, especially when you drink a few)!

Duvel and La Chouffe are great beers. I love them.

For trappist, I'm not a fan of Rochefort, but I like Chimay Blue and Red, and Westmalle. Haven't tried Westvleteren yet.

Hoegaarden is quite popular these days (at least in Sweden) and it's a fine beer. I don't drink a lot of wheat beer (weißbier / witbier) though.

Some other beers I like: Starobrno (a Czech pils), Fuller's Extra Special Bitter, Adnams Broadside, Hook Norton Double Stout(!!!), Youngs Double Chocolate, Youngs Oatmeal Stout. And "Sotarn", a stout from Hantverksbryggeriet in Sweden (a very small and new brewery).

for my taste

start with John Smiths Magnet
or Ind Coope Burton (IPA)
maybe a bottle of Duval or Pendal Witches brew
and finish the session on Gold label
or Tennants super (at 9.2% three cans does it for me)

Wet beer that's usually cold works for me.

I do enjoy Victory Golden Monkey and Storm King too. They're some of my favorite microbrews.

Iron City.

Or ginger beer, since I saw root beer being mentioned. I prefer ginger beer, but Iron City is my favorite beer beer.

Tennant's Lager (most popular Scottish lager)
Miller
Stella
Kronenberg Blanc
Guinness
Erdinger Whitebeer when I'm in the house

Hello Joe,

I drink mostly Shiner Bock down here in Texas.

When I am in Florida on business, I indulge myself with Kalik from the Bahamas (not available in Texas).

When I visit the Northwest, I seek out Obsidian dark ale from Bend, Oregon (not available in Texas).

And occasionally, I like a Speckled Hen ale from the UK.

There are more, but these are my toppers.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

That just made my day! We'll have to work on gettin' that to Texas. :biggrin:

Kalik
Heineken
Red Stripe
Guiness
Sam Adams

Wow! after reading most peoples choices I feel like such a redneck....so be it!!!...........Miller Lite all the way baby!

Ahh - now although a Noob here - I am an expert on this subject....I have spent 36 years researching.....

Last August I walked across England, and sampled Theakstons Old Peculier.

Now this is an ale, available in bottle form (which is ok) - and on my walk across England sampled it in many pubs . It was always good.

BUT, I arrived in a village called Reeth, and in the Black Bull (I think it was called) I drank the best beer that I have ever tasted in my life . To say that it was like a wine is not an exaggeration - that is how it tasted.

Theakstons Old Peculier - but drink it in Reeth at the Bull.

And Rompin Donkey is also the name of a pub just over the border from Staffordshire (Hassall Green in Cheshire)

Old Peculier is a bit sweet for me, in the mould of Marston's Owd Roger and Robinson's Old Tom but has its place in the hierarchy of renowned beers

:a8: I prefer whatever is available in a brewpub to anything bottled or canned that way it is always fresh. My preferences vary by the seasons but I tend to prefer stronger, maltier, darker in colder weather and vice versa.

Richard

I before E except after C or when sounded like A as in neighbor or weigh except in Budweiser.

I guess I'm a beer snob:)

I prefer Belgian and Belgian style beers along with Both English and American Barleywines. I'll go for an occasional porter/stout as well. Honestly the only really 'commercial' beer I enjoy is Guinness.

In the end though, drink what you like!

Top Bottom