What's new

What is your quest?... Great Shaving Soap

I agree with Lee; particularly the Bay Rum and Amber. I like the high end stuff too, but Conk is an unbeatable value.

John

The best I have tried so far is the Pre de Provence soap. It is really magnificent stuff. I like it so much it is all I want to use. I haven't used my Proraso, QED sticks, NB, Trumper's rose cream, Truefitt Ultimate since I bought it a couple weeks ago. It makes me want to try other French soaps. Next I will try the Provence Sante.

Chris

Jack Bauer said:
The best I have tried so far is the Pre de Provence soap. It is really magnificent stuff. I like it so much it is all I want to use. I haven't used my Proraso, QED sticks, NB, Trumper's rose cream, Truefitt Ultimate since I bought it a couple weeks ago. It makes me want to try other French soaps. Next I will try the Provence Sante.

Chris
I also advise you to try out the Roger et Gallet's shaving soap. It has a spicy scent which needs some getting used to it but after a few times you'll love it and it really performs wonderful.

moses said:
QED Sandlewood did that too me. As did Honeybee Bay Rum.

TABAC is on its way to me. But it is coming with 218 and B&B from QED, so I'm not sure which will get the nod first....

Man, are you in big trouble - I thought I had problems when I had to pick between QED sandalwood and Tabac (not to mention the numerous other soaps and creams I have) - I just got the B&B and now my soap choice is even more difficult. The only upside is that you can't go wrong with any of these!

If you like sandalwood and pine, the B&B will rock your shave!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
leesrazors said:
Conk soaps are priced right and excellent. Just my two pennies.

I agree with you Lee. My favorite is the almond with avocado oil. This quest has got me stocked up with enough soap and cream to get through the winter. I think I will get a couple of bars of Conk almond in the spring to keep at the cottage.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Sorry I have not posted in a while. Life got overwhelmingly busy again.

Anyway, while in Miami on Sunday I picked up an Art of Shaving Lemmon scented shaving kit for $100 USD at Saks 5th Avenue. I was on vacation so I was easy with the money. For 100 bucks you get a pure badger shaving brush, a huge tub of lemmon scented shave cream, a bottle of lemmon scented pre-shave oil and a nice sized bottle of lemmon scented after shave cream.

Back at the hotel I gave myself the best shave I ever had, with my Gillette travel no less. Which brings up a question, How many "best shaves ever" can a man have in a lifetime?

I will have to write up more details later. MBW will be home soon and I want to get a good shave in before giving her a good back rub.

Well, Honey Bee doesn't ship to Canada but Mama Bear does. One "Sensual Fragrance" and one "Romance Silver Fragrance" heading my way, along with an alum block. I figure I deserve a treat after my less than happy Herban Cowboy experience.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Time for another update.

So my quest for great shave soap was temporarily derailed by, about a nine month, shave cream hiatus. The creams were fun and luxurious, but soap is really what I was after when I started this thread, so soap is what I am returning to.

I know I could just order all the T's and other great soaps and take them all for a test shave, but I am really enjoying the ride. MBW bought me a Truefitt & Hill Luxury soap while in Las Vegas, (that's another thing, I have been tying my acquisitions to trips). She also bought me two Art of Shaving soaps which are waiting in the wings until I use up the T&H.

Luxury is exactly what this stuff is. It whips up into a rich lather quite easily. The scent is pleasant but very weak, kind of a citrus smell. It is also holding up quite well, should last a long time. I've had cheap soaps that I used up in a week. After applying, it stays wet for the whole shave. It is very lubricating and really makes blade buffing a joy.

This is exactly what I have been looking for...GREAT SOAP! :thumbup: If there weren't so many others on my list, like Tabac, Trumpers, TOBS, Mitchel's wool fat, I could easily make this my new number one soap. But alas, I must not rest until I have tried them all.

I have also recently tried Concord shave soap and it was a real dud. :thumbdown Herban Cowboy was not the worst, kind of sudsy and evaporative, but very slippery.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Well I used up the T&H Luxury shave soap and moved on to the Art of Shaving Lemon shave soap over a month ago and I must say, I like it even better. I also have a C&E almond shave soap that I have tried a few times, it's OK but it will not get replaced.

So far I am definitely sold on the triple milled soaps. They last an amazingly long time and really perform. Finally I am in no hurry to use up a product so as to try the next.

Like I said in the previous post, there are others I want to try but I like this one so much I will be very surprised if there is anything that can out-perform it. Next up will be either L'Occitane CADE, AOS Sandlewood, or C&E Sienna, since they are already bought and sitting in my drawer.

Hey Dennis (et al), nice thread! I'd highly recommend the L'Occitane. It was my absolute favorite until I tried Floris Elite. Cade is very close - performance wise - but the Floris is just slightly better. I usually get very good results doing 3-4 passes with one of my TIs using any of the soaps I have (so many now, seriously, it's easier to list what I haven't tried yet:rolleyes: - being Penhaligon's) but on those days when I want a really close shave I pick the Floris:thumbup1: . I swear I could shave all day long with no irritation using that stuff:thumbup: . One day I did 8 full passes (just because I wanted to see what would happen:rolleyes: ) and my face was in super shape when I finished. I was totally amazed. I picked up the Floris when 1stperfume had it on sale - just on a whim. I expected it would be good. Similar to some others, so I only bought one. Man am I sorry I didn't get 10!

Today I tried my first soap from Colleen (tried a couple of her creams that were great), Savon de Campagne. Smells WONDERFUL but I didn't get it quite right today... I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Anyway, of the ones you have, I'd say try the Cade. Per your post, my next will probably be AOS lemon. It will be interesting to see how each of us compare those two.

Enjoy the journey, I am.

Ken

I actually started my wet shaving with col conk almond ( came as a gift with my shave set) and since then i have always had 1 puck beside the rest of my supplies no matter what

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I actually started my wet shaving with col conk almond ( came as a gift with my shave set) and since then i have always had 1 puck beside the rest of my supplies no matter what

Good for you. I still have one in my travel kit. It has been in there for several years now and it still performs like it always did.

I believe a good quality shaving soap, (or cream if that is your preference), is the corner stone to a smooth comfortable shave. I've used many razors over the years and while they each have their own idiosyncrasies, it has always been the soap that mattered most.

I am pretty much in complete agreement with that. The razors, brushes, and blades are all very nice, but the soaps are what really hold my interest.

Right now, my two favorites are Mitchell's Wool Fat and Geo. F. Trumper's Coconut Oil. The next two I want to acquire and try are Floris and Institut Karite.

Tim

I had me a great shave this morning with the Col Conk Amber (first time using it). I felt that it was very slick and gave me great protection, I was able to shave closer without as much irritation as I would have gotten with Williams. I even got closer on that stubborn area right under my chin.. I loaded my brush by rubbing/mashing it over the puck and making it kind of "pasty" with very little water.. then latering in a bowl. I got pretty decent lather, but I think I should get more. I might try whipping it up with more water right on the puck tomorrow..

-Mason

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I had me a great shave this morning with the Col Conk Amber (first time using it). I felt that it was very slick and gave me great protection, I was able to shave closer without as much irritation as I would have gotten with Williams. I even got closer on that stubborn area right under my chin.. I loaded my brush by rubbing/mashing it over the puck and making it kind of "pasty" with very little water.. then latering in a bowl. I got pretty decent lather, but I think I should get more. I might try whipping it up with more water right on the puck tomorrow..

-Mason

Sounds good. That is a monstrous step up from Williams.

I have pretty much given up on making the paste and lathering in a separate mug. It works great, but I am just a creature of habit and I have been making lather on the top of the soap for so many years and I find it is faster. For newbies, however, it can be difficult to know when you have the right mix, so for them the other method is probably best. Also, lathering on the soap is probably a little wasteful, but I have so much soap on hand I am not worried about it.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
For my 1000th post, I figured I would update this old thread.

The L'Occitane soap was a real disappointment. I had a bad reaction to it and could not use it. It makes a good shower soap, though. :biggrin:

I am currently using C&E Sienna. I like the scent and so does MBW. It's a pretty good shaver too. It feels good on my face, no reactions with my sensitive skin.

I've also tried Wilkinson Sword shaving soap and was not too fond of it. The scent was fairly synthetic smelling and the shave was pretty bad. I did not think it was very lubricating.

So far the Art of Shaving soap is at the top of my list. I still have the AOS sandlewood to use when the Sienna is used up. Then I might actually have to buy something. Although I still have a C&E almond soap in a mug and a few others lying about. I have my sights on some Tabac for my next purchase.

I'm a fan of Mama Bear soaps, outstanding and easy lather and great scents. I have four (Gentlemen's Lemon, Tangerine Clove, Rosemarie Mint, and Almond). Didn't like Dragon's Blood (scent), gave that one away.

My face was more sensitive to Honeybee Spa soaps relative to MBs (Yuzu, Sandalwood, and Forest Pine) despite observations here to the opposite. (Forest Pine on the verge of burning, and generally seem a little more drying to my skin.) I don't have sensitive skin as a general rule.

On my wish list is Mitchell's Wool Fat. I see a lot of positive references for Tabac, but I'm skeptical before smelling it. If it's like Old Spice, I don't think I'll enjoy it.

I have a lot to work through before any more purchases.

Top Bottom