What's new

What is your EDC knife?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Twice a year Spyderco will have seconds sales at the factory store in Golden, Colorado. The sales are generally held in May, (this year in June,) and November. The "OpFocus" sale, (named after their OpFocus program,) in May is for First Responders, active military/Vets, and medical professionals.

The November sale is the larger of the two and open to the general public. People fly in, or drive to the factory a week in advance to line up and camp out for the sale. Spyderco allows people to pitch tents on the property and even provides "blue rooms" for their convenience. With November weather in Colorado being unpredictable at best, Spyderco even allows them to bring fire rings. The owner, Sal Glesser, and family will stop by and chat with them throughout the week.

The day of the sale the less hearty people start lining up a couple of hours early and when the doors open the line will have wrapped around to the back of the building and up the street. The wait in line can take 3-4 hours to get in the door, but it's a pretty festive event. Employees will walk the line handing out swag and offering cups of coffee and doughnuts.

Prices are generally half to two-thirds off of MSRP and flaws can be from a scratch or, a funny grind line on the blade to screw heads on the handle screws not being formed properly. I've got some with easily repairable dinged edges. (dropped at a trade show?) Most flaws are purely cosmetic, and all items are inspected for safe operation. At the past OpFocus sale earlier this year I saw knives that were sold a couple of years ago exclusively by retailers and some models that haven't been around for years. (I don't know where they keep them all this time.)

There are thousands of items for sale, (knives, hatchets, sheaths, ceramic sharpening items...) All items are sold as-is without a warranty. There is a 25 knife purchase limit, but that may be relaxed as the day goes on. What it comes down to is the size of your wallet, and the strength of your marriage.:biggrin1:

There's an article in last year's November byte e-Newsletter on the sale that month here: Spyderco byte November 2021 - https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-byte-november-2021

Here's info on the OpFocus discount program for qualified individuals: OpFocus - Spyderco - https://www.spyderco.com/resources/op-focus/

Almost forgot to mention, items start showing up on big online auctions sites within hours of the doors opening on the day of the sale. And some of the descriptions are less than truthful. :bored:
Thanks for the info. Wish it was online!

So, I like the PPY so much I immediately knew I wanted another Kizer, just a slightly larger one so I ordered this Azo designed Begleiter from White Mountain Knives and it was delivered today. 3.5 inch N690 blade and the handle is very comfortable. The action on the PPY is remarkably smooth, this one is a lot stiffer/tighter than it but I’m sure it will loosen up after some break in and maybe a little lube and adjustment to the pivot. Very, very sharp and I love the look of the green scales and black blade.
DECFE226-032E-4580-84DF-37770D676FB6.jpeg
DCD735F2-B961-4F5D-A9C9-978DE7A31DDE.jpeg
12CD4526-945C-4C9B-BA3F-6FF781E2DC26.jpeg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
You guys are worse enablers than over on the shaving forums. I have a Demko AD20.5 on the way. It is very expensive for what it seems to be. But you all speak so highly of it. So I took a shot. I guess there were a bunch of AD20.5 posts recently due to Shark Week maybe? Or was that just a coincidence? Either way, my curiosity about that Shark Lock got the best of me.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
You guys are worse enablers than over on the shaving forums. I have a Demko AD20.5 on the way. It is very expensive for what it seems to be. But you all speak so highly of it. So I took a shot. I guess there were a bunch of AD20.5 posts recently due to Shark Week maybe? Or was that just a coincidence? Either way, my curiosity about that Shark Lock got the best of me.
It's a fine knife, but you do, indeed, pay a hefty premium to become an early adopter. It ain't cheap, being the first on your block. But it is a knife that you will likely use a lot.

BTW, which did you order, the clip point or the shark's foot?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
It's a fine knife, but you do, indeed, pay a hefty premium to become an early adopter. It ain't cheap, being the first on your block. But it is a knife that you will likely use a lot.

BTW, which did you order, the clip point or the shark's foot?
Clip Point. Not a huge fan of super straight blades. I am looking forward to getting it. Another way to look at the cost is that its a value-priced version of a knife that typically costs 5 to 10 times as much.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I just ordered a Spyderco Para 3 LW. I have wanted a USA Spyderco for a while. That Native 5 pic above got me enabled. :)

It was really a choice between the Native 5, Para 3 LW, and the PM2. The Native 5 had the G10 scales. But the Native and the PM2 didnt have that great deep carry clip of the Para 3 LW. It was a tough choice, but the Para 3 won the debate.

Another enabling factor was that the vendor I purchased the Demko from the other day sent me a 5% coupon. So I just had to. :)

I just ordered a Spyderco Para 3 LW. I have wanted a USA Spyderco for a while. That Native 5 pic above got me enabled. :)

It was really a choice between the Native 5, Para 3 LW, and the PM2. The Native 5 had the G10 scales. But the Native and the PM2 didnt have that great deep carry clip of the Para 3 LW. It was a tough choice, but the Para 3 won the debate.

Another enabling factor was that the vendor I purchased the Demko from the other day sent me a 5% coupon. So I just had to. :)
I have a few Spyderco on my list. The Native 5 was the first of a few. I do wish it had a deep carry clip. It is shiny though.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have a few Spyderco on my list. The Native 5 was the first of a few. I do wish it had a deep carry clip. It is shiny though.
Never liked Spyderco knives... until I got one. I bought a Delica 4 a year or so ago. And was totally shocked at how great that knife is. Feels great in the hand. Sharp as could be. Wicked sharp. And is just a joy to use. Fits in the pocked better than anything else. So yeah, more Spydercos in my future as well.

So, does this mean the RAT II will be retired?

Top Bottom