What's new

What is your absolutely favorite razor of all times?

I've been doing a head to head n=1 between my GC .84-P, Blackbird, and Ti Timeless, all SB, and if you ask me today I'd vote GC. I still rotate between them now and then.

I've been doing a head to head n=1 between my GC .84-P, Blackbird, and Ti Timeless, all SB, and if you ask me today I'd vote GC. I still rotate between them now and then.
The 84 Game Changer really is a phenomenal head, especially for the price. I bought one, used it a few times, then bought another one. I also have a 68 plate but that's a bit mild for me. Like you, I think it beats my Ti Timeless by a little bit.

I've got an extensive rotation of vintage Gillettes, and the favorite is the one I happen to be shaving with at the time. To narrow it down a little: I get can easily & routinely get BBS smooth shaves with my 1917 Old Type. the cracked handle was non-repairable, so i made my own - just a little longer than the original.

Old Type New Handle R.jpg

Any number of Techs are high on my list, but my favorite is a pre-war fat handle that I got as cruddy junk. The shave was so good that I researched plating and nickeled it myself.

Prewar Fathandle Tech  like new.jpg

Same with a New SC, ugly but great shave, so i nickleled it, too:

Nickel New SC.jpg

I've got a 1947 Milord that shaves as nicely as my favorite 1940 SuperSpeed & sometime soon, I'll be sending it out to get re-gold plated.

An then there's a Schick Injector. My Dad's older bro was a combat medic who landed at Normandy the day after D-Day. This razor followed him all the way to Berlin.

20190619_142756.jpg

I'm curious to know how you plated it yourself.
I'm putting together a nickel stripping and plating set up now. It's kind of a pain but since it's so expensive (and slow) to have it done, it's worth it for me. The whole thing cost about as much as two replates and I can do a couple dozen razors before replenishing supplies.

SB: Gillette Tech for a smooth shave every time.
OC: Goodwill #160 when I want to kick it up a notch.
SE: Gem Junior 1912 when I've missed a day or two.

I have several razors that are different in one way or another and most often cost me quite a bit more money, but none that provide noticeably better shaves. These three are my personal favorites.

Last edited:
My favorite so far is the 1953 Gillette President. A little aggressive, but smooth and just the right weight and balance for me.

IMG_1153.JPG

Top Bottom