What's new

What is up with the insane prices of Charcoal Goods Razors?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When I first got here to B&B and started getting my feet wet with DE razors, I noticed the various Charcoal Goods razors. Their owners loved them... but there were too many caveats for me.... Level 1.. Oh, those were the best but they are no longer being made... Same comments with the Level 2 razors.

I was confused and moved on to razors easier to figure out. That being said, it is a shame they are no longer being produced.

No, the seller wasn’t happy as it doesn’t have the original handle (should be a Bishop v1) and it as modified. He didn’t like that he paid less than his asking price, etc but he’s trying to sell it now for more than I believe he paid for it.

The guy selling it is not the guy who was flipping handles.
Am I right in thinking that the guy who was flipping the handles was out of Canada?

Last edited:
Not everyone. :001_rolle

This guy's got his line in the water and is hoping for a big bite. Check again in a month.
I found another former listing of the user. Surprise! Its another rare out of production item. Rooney brushes were also highly regarded too but I am not sure if it is worth 450 dollars...

And look carefully, he has given out his username in the listing: churchilllafemme
Those of you who are wondering if he is someone who flips products after buying them cheap can do some due diligence before purchasing from this user.

1703157046290.png

@Arsene_Wenger1 @salatta

The individual in the ads is not the flipper in this case. He is just trying to recoup the money he paid for and got screwed over by the original flipper!! The guy that started off this whole debacle was a guy from Canada named AlanH and was barred from the forum he sold the razor on because of his dishonesty. I don't blame this guy for trying to get his money back but the wording of the ad is what got him to buy it originally and maybe he should've went about it differently because someone is gonna get screwed over just like he did...

And as @Fedsbackhand mentioned, the razor isn't even close to the the razor Brian made and sold because of what AlanH did to the razor much the same as a few Paradigm razors he polished and sold over there on the other forum!!

@Arsene_Wenger1 @salatta

The individual in the ads is not the flipper in this case. He is just trying to recoup the money he paid for and got screwed over by the original flipper!! The guy that started off this whole debacle was a guy from Canada named AlanH and was barred from the forum he sold the razor on because of his dishonesty. I don't blame this guy for trying to get his money back but the wording of the ad is what got him to buy it originally and maybe he should've went about it differently because someone is gonna get screwed over just like he did...

And as @Fedsbackhand mentioned, the razor isn't even close to the the razor Brian made and sold because of what AlanH did to the razor much the same as a few Paradigm razors he polished and sold over there on the other forum!!
Thanks for confirming what I thought, and maybe I wasn't clear - but I realised that the current seller of the razor is not the original flipper and realise that the other person that you mentioned was where the issue started.

@Arsene_Wenger1 @salatta

Flipping is no crime, it is what ever manufacture, middle man, distributor does, retailer does. Build and sell for profit, or buy and sell for profit.

Why would one ice in business, or buy and sell for loss?

Just be smart, aware, do your research, know where you money is going and let your wallet to the talking ( or silent).
We are lucky to have so many options...
BFX

The description doesn't match what I recall of this razor.

No bishop V1 handle. Don't know quite what it is now, unfortunately.

Last edited:
The same thing happens to pretty much any razor that was discontinued (even the mass produced ones) but it really depends on how hyped the brand and the particular razor model is and of course, how much a person is willing to pay to get one. Personally, I have no problem buying more expensive razors, but I only buy them while they are still in production either brand new or used at a lower price.

Also, it's those who buy razors at such prices that encourage others to sell them, not the other way around. My guess is that this seller is trying to see how people are going to react and I bet that he's open to negotiations and is willing to lower the price quite a bit. I'm sure that others who own CG razors are also watching and thinking about selling their razors at a similar prices, because reasons.

Guess Brian Twilley decided to retire and closed up shop.
I also think 2020 ( covid run) did a number on the business and more.
(Forced business shut down, another out of state move, a shop relocation, and major buildout of a new manufacturing facility and was forced to make some big changes so that it could continue.)

Probably could be more to it but that is what I heard.
He was certainly a great artisan.
Also he did some great things for the industry.
Unicorn razor (s)? For some I guess yes.
Me, I don't believe in unicorns.

BFX

It just a business trying to run at profit, prop dislike profit as buyer, we want best price.

When we are selling was also want best price.

Most business people want to run in Black, not Red.

Hope you get point.
When people sell a razor, they want to get as much money as possible for it. When they buy one, they want to get it as cheaply as they can.

It has ever been thus. World without end. Amen.

Guess Brian Twilley decided to retire and closed up shop.
I also think 2020 ( covid run) did a number on the business and more.
(Forced business shut down, another out of state move, a shop relocation, and major buildout of a new manufacturing facility and was forced to make some big changes so that it could continue.)

Probably could be more to it but that is what I heard.
He was certainly a great artisan.
Also he did some great things for the industry.
Unicorn razor (s)? For some I guess yes.
Me, I don't believe in unicorns.

BFX

Don’t know so I will ask why he did not sell or license someone else to keep brand alive?

From comments the brand had value.

@Arsene_Wenger1 @salatta

Thanks for the info. I don't mean to accuse the user of being a flipper. All I am saying is that people should do their own due diligence before purchasing. The current seller may simply want to see how much buyers are willing to offer for the razor and try to recoup as much as possible.

But it raises more questions. As others like Dtownvino & Fedsbackhand have stated, this razor may not be one of the originals that Brian made. But isn't the current seller advertising it as such? Here is the description of the razor that was shared by the current seller:

1703175165016.png

Top Bottom