What's new

What is this brush from a 2014 posting on here? It is claimed to be a Merkur but I cannot find anywhere that Merkur makes this brush

Hey, I was just going through old postings on here and I found a user “reltson”, on the very bottom of this page: The Ultimate Set Up. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-ultimate-set-up.380255/

mentioned his set up with a “Merkur 1904” and “Merkur brush”. The picture on the attachment was this:

My question is, is that actually a Merkur brush? If so, which one is it? Where is it from? I have searched all over google, dovo/Merkur’s website, and various 3rd party sites for Merkur brushes, but I have never seen a brush that looks like that, that is also labeled as a Merkur brush. I think I have seen that brush or one like it come with a GBS set, along with a Merkur razor, but is the brush really made by Merkur? Does it say Merkur on it or GBS? Anyone here know?

Realized I forgot to answer one question. No idea if the brush says Merkur or GBS on it, but it is likely from GBS. From the photo it looks the closest thing to it. I would think Merkur would make the silvertip brushes, but for such a cheap brush Merkur would let another maker make it, and it just so happens GBS is who makes it.

1595836505848.png

Joe is probably right. Here is a picture of a GBS kit "Made in Germany" on Amazon for sale. Different razor (33c?) but the badger looks close to the original.

It's more than likely the product. GBS Shave Brush - 21MM -Chrome Handle 100% Natural Pure Badger Bristles will get you just the brush alone.

The 2014 poster referenced is just mistaken, bought a grouped bunch of Chinese stuff + 1 german thing off Amazon with a 'made in Germany!' title and thus was assured the stand and brush are also Merkur and also made in Germany. You can make up any title you want as long as some of it is true some of the time and they're not going to correct you as a third party there so long as you move product. A Chinese-made stand looking precisely like that (which was also imported by Col Conk, for years the official US distribution of Dovo) is available from countless Chinese sellers (for that matter so too the brush). As just one example of many, only the Merkur is made in Germany among the Amazon listing live now "B075KK2B76" and yet the title says this (they call this 'keyword spamming');
GBS Chrome Shaving Gift Set - Made in Solingen Germany MK #178 Safety Razor, Pure Badger Hair Shaving Brush Chrome Handle, Stainless Steel Brush & Razor Stand, Shaving Bowl with Soap!

That is a Col. Conk set #190. That is a Merkur #180/23C razor, #775 stand, #247 Brush.

The stand and brush were designed by us YEARS ago. It was produced solely for us until the popularity of the stand took off. It was then copied and re-copied and sold to everyone under the sun. Not sure about the copied versions, but the #247 is a really nice brush. We sell that as a kit and all the pieces individually as well.

And for the record.... The brush and stand are made in Taiwan, not China.

@Colonel Conk Mike you have some beautiful stands on your site. I have your 775 stand now. Any thought of making a stand that will hold two brushes and one or two razors?
I dont have carry of the forks that facilitate more than just one brush and one razor. Im sure there are forks out there that will hold two of each. You might see if you can find just the fork and then swap them out with your current setup. It would save you a few bucks!

You are correct, Taiwan ROC whether they wish or no it is - the primary issue remains a quite deliberate attempt by these resellers to make those listings plausibly 100% made in Germany for those who will not think further, and those sets probably sell really well given all the stuff for low cost.
Sorry to hear and your story is a good example why in many Chinese factories a night guard only ensuring no off-hours productions is a necessary overhead, though here if unpatented that may not help.

Top Bottom