What's new

What is the next choice ?

Dear all,

First, I would like to thank you all for your excellent advices. They have change dramatically my daily shave from the boring repetitive morning routine to a real artistic pleasure.
So, I have a simple question: I use a Simpsons Chubby 2 Best badger and, as I like the change, I would like to buy an other high-quality brush.

What could be the next good choice ?
I am hesitating between a vulfix (#2235) and a plisson.

What do you think about it ?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre,

You're comparing a Roll-royce with a Mercedes.............:wink:

What are you willing to spent on a shaving brush???

As in inhabitant of Belgium you should know that Plissons are easily available but extremely expensive; a Vulfix is also easily available through the Internet but costs only a fraction of a Plisson; Vulfix supers are in fact bleached best badger while Plisson offers you a variety of 5 different badger qualities, High Mountain White being the most expensive.

So make up your budget so that we can give you more advice......

Peter

Since you mention the Vulfix 2235 and Plisson, I'm assuming you mean the 2235 in silvertip. If this is in fact the case, see this thread at the bottom:

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2186

Not trying to scare you away from the Vulfix as I had a 2235 in super. If you are considering spending $200+ on a brush, you should know what you could be getting into. As for the Plisson, I do not have experience with them. Some people love them, and others are not so fond of them. You can also consider the R. A. Rooney brushes, found here:

http://www.classicshaving.com/page/page/2053630.htm

I have Rooney styles 1 and 3 smalls in finest and the style 3 is my new favorite brush (haven't used the style 1 yet), overtaking my Chubby 2 best.

Thanks for your quick replies.

drP,
So, for the budget, let's say the same than for my Simpson CH2. I bought it for 175€ (+/- $220). The problem is that in Brussels, it's no so easy to find a store to buy shaving products. In Belgium, we have not the same shaving culture than in England or USA. I had the chance to find a litte store in the historial center of Brussels (Au Grand Rasoir) but I'am not sure it sells brands like Rooney or Vulfix. But you are right, the comparison is not so obvious.

Khari,
Currently, I'am taking a look on several brands (Vulfix, Rooney, Plisson, Kent, ...). I saw on the Net that Rooney has too an excellent reputation.

Jean,
Personally.... I am not much a fan of Plisson.... never have been. Although they are a remarkably "pretty" brush, their badger hair feels/performs near identical to Edwin Jagger best badger - and as a result, I do not think they are really worthy of their lofty reputation.... but without question they are the "prettiest" shaving brush in the land - if that is your vice.

Since you have a firm Simpsons shaving brush in best - i'd recommend going to the other end of the spectrum with a superlative soft shaving brush, such as Vulfix, Kent, or Edwin Jagger. It will give you a totally different experience than what you are currently enjoying. I am particularly partial to Edwin Jagger and Kent - both superb brushes at a superb value.

:smile:

Joel,

What is your key choice for a Kent brush ?
What do you think about the BK4 ?

Thanks for your help.

jean-pierre

jean-pierre said:
Joel,

What is your key choice for a Kent brush ?
What do you think about the BK4 ?

Thanks for your help.

jean-pierre

Jean,
I have not had the pleasure of using it yet - as the remaining 2 brushes have not arrived for the "Brush Wars" comparison. The BK4 sure does look nice though! :smile: The best "looking" kent is the BK8 in my opinon, however it has a 26mm knot..... just depends what size brush you prefer!

Ron,

Yeah, now that you mention it, it could be a deal killer. It makes the Shavemac a better deal since it's all within the EU. I guess there's VAT though. The Government always gets their cut.

Ed

rasiermesserfan said:
Ron,

Yeah, now that you mention it, it could be a deal killer. It makes the Shavemac a better deal since it's all within the EU. I guess there's VAT though. The Government always gets their cut.

Ed
I think the answer is a roundtrip seat on the "TEE" to Paris and a shopping spree at the Gallery Lafayette! Maybe even a night at the George 5th! Hmm.. Too bad it's May, I was going to suggest a lunch of fruits da mer at Prunelle.. Oh, and then a Plissons european white brush..:lol: Lottsa' savings!

Finally,

I ordered a few days ago (after this interesting conversation), a Kent BK4. I waiting for it and I hope I will receive it before the week-end.

So, I will give my first impression in a few days .....

Thanks to all of you for your invaluable advices !

Top Bottom