What's new

What is the best knot you have bought?

It's been well over a year since I did the restore on that Erskin. I really don't remember much about which grade it was. I have a few of the TGN silvertips in sizes 20, 22 and 24 and they are all extremely nice. I also have a little 18mm 2 band finest that was my first restore.
$first restore.jpg

thanks for the info. I really think TGN is who im getting my knots from. and the HMW isn't getting that many review because I dont think that many people have used this.

thanks for the info. I really think TGN is who im getting my knots from. and the HMW isn't getting that many review because I dont think that many people have used this.
Why don't you try it and see if you like it?

At the end of the day, I think we can conclude that TGN makes high quality knots. Now, as to whether HWM or Finest or Silvertip or whatever are the best, that's a much more subjective discussion. I don't know that I could find a badger knot I'd like more than the TGN finest I use regularly, but others might not like it.

My best knot, at the moment, is probably the 20mm Whipped Dog Silvertip that I used to re-knot my grandfathers old Erskine. My Whipped Dog 30mm Silvertip is no slouch though. Neither are my two Whipped Dog 16mm Silvertip travel brushes. I'm addicted to Silvertip, and I especially like Whipped Dog.

Ray have you used the Grade A or HMW from TGN??? can you compare?

@Jeremy

If I may intrude here, I will say that I find the TGN Finest has a much more ageeable backbone than the Grade A while still having soft tips. I own TGN Finest, silvertip A, and standard silvertip. Of the three, I much prefer the Finest.

iMHO, Finest are quite close to Simpson two band brushes though less dense. Your Tulip would be more dense than the TGN. Nevertheless, I believe you would quite enjoy the Finest knot.

And, bigger is better, in this case. I prefer the 24 over the 22. I expect a 26 would be wonderful.

Oh, yeah:

L to R:

TGN 22mm Finest Fan
Whipped Dog 24mm Silvertip
TGN 22mm Silvertip A Fan

Those pics are pre-bloom, here they are fully bloomed:

So I hope someone can look at the photos and say what knot looks better and could talk about quality of knots from the diff vendors.

For me it's:

Rooney Stubby 2XL heritage specs

Total Height: 92 mm
Handle Height: 45 mm
Loft Height: 47 mm
Knot Diameter: 28 mm

I bought a Virginia Sheng 24mm finest on ebay for $10 (+ $3 shipping) and it arrived today. I really was not expecting something this nice. Set at 50mm loft it is fairly dense and when damp the tips feel like velvet. I have no frame of reference other than a TGN synthetic and boar, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But each of those three cost about the same, and each is what it is, but the VS Finest is pretty amazing.

So I hope someone can look at the photos and say what knot looks better and could talk about quality of knots from the diff vendors.

I don't know how you could do that by sight. The feel is what matters. You could maybe see what is more dense, but you won't know how it feels from a picture.

They all look fairly nice in the pictures Jeremy, but some definitely stand out as ooooh and others are more meh.

I have that TGN Super 2-band Finest knot, while I think its a great knot, I'm not sure if the extra money is justified when comparing it against the TGN 2-band Finest. I have the TGN finest knots in 26mm & 28mm so it isn't a direct comparison.

The super 2-band finest is a great knot and if you buy this one, I doubt you will be disappointed, however if you are looking to save a few dollars then grab a standard finest 2-band.

Thread on my 24mm TGN Super Finest 2-band HERE

My favourite knot would be the 28mm Finest 2-band..big and beautiful!

I splurged on a TGN 24mm High Mountain White knot for my Rubberset 400 restoration, and it's a great knot. Softer tips than the TGN Finest, decent backbone and surprisingly good flow-through for a fairly dense knot. I'm very happy that I spent the extra cash for this restoration. Here's a not-so-great photo of the brush pre-bloom:

$Rubberset After Pre-Bloom.jpg

Still, though, I believe the 2-band Finest knots deliver the best bang for the buck of the TGN knots. In the near future, though, I plan to try knots from Whipped Dog and Virginia Sheng.

Best of luck in whichever way you decide to go.

I went with 22mm and 24mm TGN Super Finest knots in two recent restorations (threads here and here). I've used these brushes only once so far, and for me the jury is still out on whether the Super Finest is worth the extra cost. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine knot. I'm just unsure whether it's significantly better than TGN's regular 2-band Finest knots.

I've tried Tgn finest, Tgn standard silvertip and also finest and silvertip from a chinese supplier called yqbrush.
Tgn finest is an excellent knot. Great back bone and nice, soft tips. The Yqbrush was a little more dense, with very soft tips but not as much back bone.
I just purchased a 24mm Virginia Sheng finest knot. So once i receive it I'll post my remarks.

All in all, i think Yqbrush may be the best value. Excellent prices for an excellent knot.

Here are some pics of the TGN (black & lucite handle) vs the YQbrush knot.

Attachments

• $WW2.jpg
    $WW2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 159
  • $photo 2.jpg
    $photo 2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 159
Top Bottom