What's new

What is the best DE currently in production?

For me it's a toss up between the Mühle R89 and the Merkur Futur. I haven't tried the new Feather or a Pils razor yet though.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The best modern Double Edge razor is, in my opinion, the Edwin Jagger DE 89.
It is beautifully engineered, is fitted with the latest precision, has a perfect balance and shows an extremely high quality Chrome plating.
It's truly a superb, fantastic, unique razor for great, close, comfortable shaves.
Enough said.

Can the next topic be what is the best razor blade ?

Think it is right along the same thought process.

Nobody has mentioned the new Feather DE yet....:biggrin1:

For me, I would probably say the Merkur 1904. That thing's a little sleeper!

I have 4 merkurs and have had no problem with the build quality at all, and the hd is a fine razor that gives me better shaves than most of my vintage models, never tried the muhle or ej, which reading on here are again fine razors, my weishi squeaks and would most probably break if i dropped it, though the lord i have is very light, but agian, gives me a good shave, so i will plump for merkur.

This is sort of like asking who the best hockey player in Guam is. There are simply very few contenders out there, and none of them are great. I was not impressed by any of the four Merkurs I tried, and I am left wondering if there was more and better competition out there we'd see better design, tooling, and plating on these modern DE's. Of the ones I tried, Muhle makes the best heads, and partially because of this I think the Edwin Jagger Chatsworth is the best DE I tried.

How I feel. I've only tried the Merkur razors but I find the tolerance on the razors to be rather poor. Very pretty to look at though. I am very tempted to pick up the Feather stainless steel DE for the comments on the quality of the machining alone.

Top Bottom