What's new

What is the Current Starter Razor and Blade Choice for Newbies?

I have been using these DE safety razors for about 15 years I think. Back then, the conventional wisdom was to start with a Merkur 33C or a Gillette Super Speed and a Derby blade. Today there are a lot more choices. Is there a new default starter razor and blade any more? Perhaps not. Heck I don't hear much about Derby these days.

For traditional-styled razors, I often recommend starting with a Game Changer 68p (safety bar), then if one wants more efficiency after you learn, you can go to the 76, 84, or 105.

I'd also highly recommend a Henson if you like more modern razors, I wish I had started there and not with a 34c.

I've just recommended it in another tread, but it's impossible to beat Baili BD176. It's an efficient yet very mild and forgiving razor, a Tech clone done just right. It's also very cheap. This is the razor I use if I had a bad shave day and need to let my face recover, yet still want a good BBS or DFS quality shave.

Baili also make a TTO that is, for all intents and purposes, its twin. Side by side, the head geometry looks practically identical and they shave very similarly.

I've just recommended it in another tread, but it's impossible to beat Baili BD176. It's an efficient yet very mild and forgiving razor, a Tech clone done just right. It's also very cheap. This is the razor I use if I had a bad shave day and need to let my face recover, yet still want a good BBS or DFS quality shave.

Baili also make a TTO that is, for all intents and purposes, its twin. Side by side, the head geometry looks practically identical and they shave very similarly.
The Baili is good. The Weishi TTO was better for me.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Many here say "get a Tech" and I'm with them but also believe in the Super Speed or Schick Krona.
Heck, I see many going for less than ten bucks on eBay that'll shave just fine. I don't trust those clones.

I'm still using Derbys from when you were around. :001_tongu

If I were buying it as a gift for a friend I'd go with a Henson AL13 and a few different blades, say Feathers, Personna Supers, and Astras. I personally don't notice much difference among the various blades, but I know others do.

The Lord L6 is for sale at Amazon right now for a little over $5. The regular price around $7 is still cheap. When I was buying an entry level razor I wanted to invest very little - the L6 fits the bill and gets decent reviews. Another option is the Van Der Hagen TTO for around $20 and that is the one I bought. Other alternatives are the Wilkinson Sword and the King C Gillette models - both easily purchased new from a variety of general shopping sites.

And get a razor blade sampler pack so you can try a few different ones. Pairing the right blade for your razor and your face matters a lot.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would suggest(Italian barber) Razorock razors like the Game changer.84 316 SSP or lower bottom plate # gap options for the Game changer. The machining and finish have excellent QC + no blade tab overhang to contend with + affordable IMO.
I also have lots of Yaqi razor heads that are another good entry starting point for folks also, nothing wrong with most of their products and lately they have been cranking out some nice functional high end looking razors also made from 316 Stainless steel and Titanium grade 5 metals.

I recommend going with the heaviest razor and a Feather blade. That’s what worked for me 2 decades ago, you let the weight of the tool do the job with a very sharp blade. There is a learning curve just like any other task in life, but if you enjoy it and set the conditions right, it becomes a nice ritual and some alone time

Top Bottom