What's new

what is a good solid 1st DE razor for a beginer?

I started with a 23c which I think is generally considered a mild razor but now that I've tried one I would recommend the Gillette Fatboy as a starter. The adjustability would allow a newbie to move up the aggressiveness ladder gradually without having to buy additional razors. I've only tried the Fatboy on "9" but I presume the low settings would be comperable to a 34c, 23c, EL89 etc., right?

I also find the industrial esthetic of the Fatboy very pleasing.

+1 I started with a 23C as well. You might consider a Slim as a less expensive alternative to the Fat Boy, but there is something to be said for the asthetic appeal of holding a Fat Boy in your hand.

+!. The Edwin Jagger DE89 is incredibly forgiving. I actually think of it as too gentle, because I started with a Parker 86R.

+1.

Not only is the Jagger 89 well balanced and forgiving, it also has outstanding fit and finish. It was my first DE razor and made the switch from carts both easy and enjoyable. I think it's a great razor for a newb - then, when you've got your technique down, you can give in to that RAD that will surely have kicked in and go for vintage razors galore. :devil:

If you want a new razor, the Edwin Jagger DE89 is a fine shaver and a beautiful tool. For vintage razors, a Gillette Super Speed or Tech is the way to go. Any of these three, along with a DE blade assortment, should get you well on your way to shaving Nirvana! :w00t:

I have both the Slim and the EJ89L. Every time I use the slim, from 3 to 5, I wreck my face and have to go electric for w few days to allow it to heal. I never have any problem with the EJ89L. I see no reason for me to ever change from the EJ.

I started with a Merkur 1904 and still love it. I have a Fatboy and it does a wonderful job aswell. I have used a Gillette Tech and it was really mild, too mild. I also have some Gillette Super-Speeds that I am giving to my brothers for Christmas. The wife's Merkuc 23c also shaves wonderfully.

There are so many great options available, especially for less than $20. That $20 can always be resold for what you have in it if you don't like it.

Merkur HD. Simplicity. I agree with previous posts about getting the technique down before swapping too much around. That is except for blades. I tried many many the first few weeks until I found something I was comfortable with. I am a beginner and into my second month of this and I would say that it took about two weeks to get comfortable with all the techniques.

Although it it very possible to crank a Merkur Futur up to an aggressive level equalled by few if any other razors, I have found it can be easy to tame to a much milder configuration if needed. A Derby or Dorco blade on the one or two setting is pretty easy going....to mild? Toss in a Feather or Astra SS and tune the 'ol Futur up to 5-6. Unless you know what you're doing, be prepared to witness a new definition of "wet shaving"....red wet is not a good thing. The joy of a Futur is its flexibility.

The recommendations of the Tech, Super Speed & DE89 and Kronos are all great. I'd also recommend the Feather Popular (Plastic & chrome plated steel.)

I started with a Merkur 34C and would never, ever, recommend a Merkur to anyone starting out - actually I'd never recommend a Merkur to someone, period, due to poor workmanship, and the company refusing to stand behind it's poor plating, fit & finish.

+1 on either the Slim or a 40s Superspeed. I started with a Slim, though I can't tell you exactly why I chose it - I won it on ebay when I decided to go to DE shaving. The adjustability is nice for a beginner, IMO. It allows you to determine whether you want or need a mild or aggressive razor.

My first upon returning to DE shaving was a Merker 20C. Long black hard rubber handle mild shave. The Muhle R89 is almost as mild and a very nice smooth shaver.

A Muhle R89 or an Edwin Jagger 89.
Basically the same razor.

I'd skip the Tech, but that's me.
I can't get a decent shave out of it.
Lots of Tech-aficionados here, so it should be good though :mellow:

The Slim TTO is also a nice choice and so is a Superspeed.
But my advice would be to pick up some vintage models later.

If you got extra money and would like a good razor check out the feather all stainless steal. But as others said get the ej d89 or muehle r89. But do check the feather AS if you got extra money. It's a good stainless steel razor that would last a lifetime.

Top Bottom