What's new

what is a good solid 1st DE razor for a beginer?

M

morgan11

Just looking into buying a DE razor, whats a really good brand model foer a DE razor?

Do I need to build skills with this in order not to bleed to death?

What razors should I stay away from for now?

Try to find a old ball end Tech and use it. It will take a while to get it down but the pest thing (I think) to to just shave! You can make this as hard or as easy as you wish. Good luck!!

I am just realizing how wonderful my Edwin Jagger DE 89 is for beginners, I started with it and it is much more forgiving than the superspeed I recently acquired.

If I were to do it all over again, I would not spend more than $25 on a razor, I would buy it on Buy/Sell/Trade forum here on B&B, and I would probably buy a Gillette NEW (even though I prefer the old type and NEW improved now). Get a blade sampler with 3-10 of each brand of blade you are sampling so you can try each one, find one that works adequately and have enough blades to revisit and compare to others later.

You could also look at B/S/T for someone selling a whole newbie kit (razor, blades, soap, brush, etc). Those usually are pretty good deals to get started.

My first razor was an Edwin Jagger E89l.

I wish I had started with a Tech.

First razor of choice for recommendation from me is Schick Krona, Gillette Tech, or Super Speed.

If you want to jump into the shallow end head first you can buy a Muehle R41 2011- but you might give up after two days.

The first three weeks your skin needs to adapt and your technique needs to develop. After a couple months you can spread out and start trying variety.

To start do everything the same over and over and if you do make a change. only change one thing at a time. Don't change blade brands and your preparation technique on the same day.

You need to relearn muscle memory and habits. Your arm, wrist, and hands are used to how you used to shave. Making the change takes time. It won't occur overnight.

Use extra product and a light touch.

Never go over any area without relathering. Always take your time.

For a beginners razor a Super Speed is a good middle of the road option.

Best of luck and 'shave yourself!'

I am just realizing how wonderful my Edwin Jagger DE 89 is for beginners, I started with it and it is much more forgiving than the superspeed I recently acquired.

+!. The Edwin Jagger DE89 is incredibly forgiving. I actually think of it as too gentle, because I started with a Parker 86R.

I got my son started with a HD 34c (Merkur) and they use the same head on many of their razors. I agree with others that the R89 (Muhle) head is also a great way to start and sits atop many razors from a variety of suppliers. Any one of the B&B vendors can help guide you with which razors have which heads. Then you can pick based on your budget & what style you like. Both of these heads remain in my regular rotation and give outstanding shaves.

I would go with. Slim, not sure if its considered a solid razor but it is an ajustable Razor where you can set it from 1-9 depending on how agressive you want it to be. I Think its a great for a begginer and you will love it, its just as popular as the Fat Boy which seems to be a bit expensive on the bay, but the slim is cheaper and most will agree it gives a great shave. Try the Gillette slim you wont regret it.

ERVARGASNY said:
I would go with a Slim................it is an ajustable Razor where you can set it from 1-9 depending on how agressive you want it to be. I think it's a great for a begginer and you will love it..................and most will agree it gives a great shave. Try the Gillette slim you wont regret it.

morgan11, First of all, a hearty welcome to the forum! You will undoubtedly find as many opinions are there are razors and those who shave, and what works for some may or may not work for you. With that said, I am one who wholeheartedly agrees with ERVARGASNY. I own a vintage Slim Adjustable, and it is, without any doubt and by any standard of comparison, one of the best razors I have ever used. I get consistently close and irritation-free shaves from my Slim. Be sure to order a sampler pack of blades, and give them all a fair test, as you will find that different blades in the same razor will give you completely different results. Good luck!

I started with a 23c which I think is generally considered a mild razor but now that I've tried one I would recommend the Gillette Fatboy as a starter. The adjustability would allow a newbie to move up the aggressiveness ladder gradually without having to buy additional razors. I've only tried the Fatboy on "9" but I presume the low settings would be comperable to a 34c, 23c, EL89 etc., right?

I also find the industrial esthetic of the Fatboy very pleasing.

I started with an EJ89 and it worked very well. However, since acquiring a few classic razors, my clear favorites are the Slim and Tech.
By comparison now, the EJ89 is a bit more aggressive and caused more irritation. The Slim is fantastic on low settings - for a beginner,
I would start at 1-3, and experiment from there when you become confident.

Top Bottom